$1 NLHE MTT: QQ out of position All-in shove...GTO?

J

joeyvegasboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,

I was seated in early position with pocket queens. With antes in play I raise to 3x. I get one caller in MP and the button raises very small.

Here is where my question comes into right play (mainly) on if I did the right thing. Being out of position I shove which both players have me covered although all fairly big stacked.

MP folds button calls with KJo.

Board runs J 6 A K A and I am out.

I am fairly new to tournament play but up until this point was doing well playing TAG and chipping up here and there.

For GTO strategy how I looked at it was being out of position, more than likely being the lead as these guys weren't the tightest players Ive seen, I was picking up equity by shoving as my stack at that point was only 2 times the pot size it had built too before my shove.

To win tournaments cause I felt was doing goo until this point should I not "risk it" even when having a good hand and trying to take down the pot pre flop for a nice chip up? If I called and he bet the flop given his pre flop raise Itd be safe to think he had an ace probably altho then I would be getting away from it and still be in the tournament! just losing a nice little chunk...

Should I not be taking a risk since I am chipping up slowly to remove such an all in variance or are those just the risks to take in hopes of winning a tourney as qq against 1 higher 1 lower card is only still a 2/3 times win rate. Or did I do the right thing and just got dealt a bad beat?

Thanks,

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had excellent odds on your side, but anytime another player has even one higher card there is an uncomfortable probability that your starting cards will bust.

Any card will pair up around one in three hands. So you ran into bad luck but it's not surprising.

Whether you shove or not depends on several factors, but you should always be comfortable with your push when it comes and live with the results.

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got your stack in with 71% equity. Do that every time

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
We need more information, like how many big blinds you had in your stack?

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got it in good, many times when you have to go all in you are flipping. This is the ideal scenario, you just got unlucky. If you can get it in preflop when you are more short stacked you don't have to be worried about getting scared off your hand. You have to take risks in MTTs and you took a very good one, don't think this was a mistake.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said you were covered by both but all fairly big stacks. Then you are not in Shove or Fold mode so IMHO better to just call preflop. Then check / fold to the A on any street if anyone shows strength.

I

icandonkyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you got it in with good odds. Seems very correct to me. You just got unlucky. It happens like this from time to time.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's tough to give you a correct answer without knowing blinds, stack sizes and antes. Getting all in preflop with the best hand is a good play. Was it the right one here? I don't know without more info.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
What was your stack and blinds in this?

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to share the number of Big Blinds that you had - it can really change how you should play this hand in this situation.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Everyone,

I was seated in early position with pocket queens. With antes in play I raise to 3x. I get one caller in MP and the button raises very small.

Here is where my question comes into right play (mainly) on if I did the right thing. Being out of position I shove which both players have me covered although all fairly big stacked.

MP folds button calls with KJo.

Board runs J 6 A K A and I am out.

I am fairly new to tournament play but up until this point was doing well playing TAG and chipping up here and there.

For GTO strategy how I looked at it was being out of position, more than likely being the lead as these guys weren't the tightest players Ive seen, I was picking up equity by shoving as my stack at that point was only 2 times the pot size it had built too before my shove.

To win tournaments cause I felt was doing goo until this point should I not "risk it" even when having a good hand and trying to take down the pot pre flop for a nice chip up? If I called and he bet the flop given his pre flop raise Itd be safe to think he had an ace probably altho then I would be getting away from it and still be in the tournament! just losing a nice little chunk...

Should I not be taking a risk since I am chipping up slowly to remove such an all in variance or are those just the risks to take in hopes of winning a tourney as qq against 1 higher 1 lower card is only still a 2/3 times win rate. Or did I do the right thing and just got dealt a bad beat?

Thanks,
You did fine
Variance is a Moth3@!#$R
That wasn't a bad beat or a cooler just simple variance
But it is also our friend we must live with and understand
Never stop chipping up unless you are on the final table
1st place takes a hellava alot more $$ than 10th place
* QQ out of position shortstacked I'd have shoved ALL IN preflop and ran my 2/3% or just been happy with stolen blinds.
#1 Rule for me is..
Never Doubt yourself

You did fine TRUST YOURSELF or next time you might just limp QQ out of self doubt