$1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: what do you do here with top pair on the turn with one weak player?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: what do you do here with top pair on the turn with one weak player?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/...dQ9-6CUNf41JgPMHpOXKnoAwXAx5rEp5RhIRvnmTj3V0M
Hello guys, this is sng on 45 players. On the flop I call this small bet, because of the backdoor flush draw. On the turn I wanted isolate player from the small blind with top pair, because very possible was that he was a weak player. On the HJ position was player who one time limped hand like k7s and is very possible that he had suited connector again. On the turn I wanted to see the back of player from the HJ. I had only top pair, but I wanted to represent a flush. When I raise the turn, I think I have to bet the river and try to represent the flush if I want win this hand. When I would check on the river, opponent usually will bet and I will have harder decision. What do you do in this situation? any ideas?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the turn you improved to top pair with no kicker, which is a medium strong hand. Yet you say, that you wanted to represent a stronger hand, which is the same as turning your hand into a bluff. With a hand like this your main goal should be to try and get to a cheap showdown, and perhaps get a bit of value or deny some equity in the process.

With this in mind I am kind of on the fence about, if I even like the turn raise. Yes its a silly min-bet, but your hand is not all that great, so maybe its fine, if the turn essentially gets checked through as well. I can be ok with making a real bet on the turn though, but then I am definitely checking the river. As played you obviously can not call a raise.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be calling down and reevaluating if I got raised. There’s no need to turn your hand into a bluff. Raising the turn isn’t bad for value but after getting cold called, I would check and hope opponent checks.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Floating the flop here with nothing but K hi and some backdoor draws is probably not the best play - there are only a few cards we are going to want to see and when we connect with top pair on the turn it's still not the best of situations.

As fundiver eluded to in his reply - our hand is still pretty marginal. There are going to be much better limped Kx combos out there so raising top pair here is not the best idea - I know the bet is small but I would be trying to get my top pair to showdown as cheaply as possible. I mean we basically put in half our stack here with a marginal hand just to find the fold on the river...not optimal.

Anyhow when we think if raising the turn are we betting for value or betting as a bluff? If we are bluffing, then what better hands do we hope to fold out? If we are value betting, what worse hands are calling us here when it checks through on the flop? What are we doing if we get raised? - you need to consider this thought process when taking this line because I feel like multi way with the front door flush coming in you may be getting raised/called A LOT leaving us in any awkward river situations.

As played, I think I would find a fold on the flop - but when we dont and we float to connect with top pair, now we are trying to get to showdown cheaply - I would call the turn bet and fold to any raise that may occur behind us simply because nothing our opponents are doing this with is a hand that we beat.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A fairly standard turn game. On the river, I would check-cal. We can catch some bluffs with the top pair.

D

D_godfather

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also slow down after the turn. Check call the river.