$1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: What do you do in this situation with Ako?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars, $0.49 + $0.06 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,250/2,500 (250 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

aleks-sem7 (UTG): 57,580 (23 bb)
GeluPoker777 (MP): 67,186 (27 bb)
rail-worm (MP+1): 42,153 (17 bb)
johnydeepstack (CO): 20,767 (8 bb)
obstulbey (BU): 66,675 (27 bb)
smartasbeans (SB): 110,141 (44 bb)
jaworek1405 (BB): 85,498 (34 bb)

Pre-Flop: (5,500) Hero (jaworek1405) is BB with A K
4 players fold, obstulbey (BU) raises to 5,000, smartasbeans (SB) calls 3,750, jaworek1405 (BB) calls 2,500

Flop: (16,750) T K Q (3 players)
smartasbeans (SB) checks, jaworek1405 (BB) checks, obstulbey (BU) bets 6,075, smartasbeans (SB) raises to 18,750, jaworek1405 (BB) folds, obstulbey (BU) folds

Total pot: 28,900
smartasbeans (SB) wins 28,900

Hi guys, it was satellite to Half Price Sunday Storm for 55 cents (I can't write it in title of thread), 7 players left and 4 tickets to the tournament. In this situation I had second stack and I decided only defended big blind with AKo, because player from small blind was a chipleader. I didn't want 3bet squeeze pre flop for about 1/3 of my stack pre flop and play it out of position vs one player from the button. Besides my tactic on the final table was to concentrate on calling allins smaller stacks. In the end I won a ticket and everything ended good for me. What do you thing about this situation defending big blind with ako . On the flop I had TPTK and I wanted to go to the showdown with smaller stack from the button, but chipleader played check raise on the flop and I decided not to risk my stack with a chipleader. The flop was dangerous for me, many outs to flush and straight, some combodraws. Somebody fold here on the flop like me?

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Jaworek,

In satellites the most important thing is? ... That's right! Survive!
It is not typical tournament because it doesn't matter which position you will get at the end. You have a lot of bigs as satellite - 33bb

Did the dealer open often? even if I wouldn't know I would make 3-bet to 15k because SB probably is calling with some trushes like f.e. KTo and as he payed 0,5bb ... ? he want see the flop at a low cost. Even one opponent less in the spot is a huge difference.

Post flop button made c-bet and look! like I said above, SB can hit sth like two pairs and it is hard to fold when we have top pair with top kicker but if we should?
Yes, because flop is tough, a lot of draws and of course, you can hit straight but you don't want lose chips when SBdo re-raise on the flop and you don't know what excatly button will do.

I'm impressed you folded this hand :) good decision, good luck!

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Brawo :),
at the beginning of the final table I was a slight chipleader. Player who was on the small blind was winning a chips before this hand and he overtook me. I gave him a lot of respect when he won a little of chips. I think If I want 3bet pre flop this ako I should 3bet for about 1/3 of my stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Even being a satellite I think, you have to put in a 3-bet. Sure its not desirable to play a big pot, when smaller stacks are waiting to bust, but your chips was not quite enough to fold your way to a sure ticket, and its not desirable for the two other guys to play a big pot either. Even the chip leader can not afford to lose 75% of his stack to you, and by 3-betting you put the pressure on them. They should fold a lot, which is totally fine, because then you win around 7BB uncontested, which brings you a big step closer to that ticket.

Flop
Good fold. While you flopped TPTK, a lot of other hands flopped two pair or a straight, and against a bet and a check-raise you cant assume, your hand is good. And even if it is, they might get there on a draw. This is where ICM really kicks in, because even if you win this pot and dubble up, this does not dubble your chance of winning a ticket. So its simply not worth the risk.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know exactly what I would do preflop - we should ALWAYS be 3betting our AK - and when out of position we would normally size up around 4x anyhow, now with a raise and call in front we have to size up around 5.5x - 6.5x here and it becomes a significant part of our stack leaving us in some pretty awkward bet sizing territory post flop when we have to cbet a ton of boards we miss. I would take my AK and jam it in their faces here preflop! We are facing a button open and even though the small blind flats they dont (shouldnt) have AK beat...they would 3bet to move us out of the way and isolate the aggressor! Heads up I would never jam here because it's just too risky with 33bb vs one opponent - but I would jam 25bb or less into a single opponent in a heart beat! With 30ish big blinds - a raise from late position and a call - I am shoving preflop! The rest will be what it will be. We are considering being tight and surviving here, fearing busting - you think our opponents fear busting as well? Exploit that feeling! Jam the premium, maximize fold equity! When we do get called, most of the time we will be in great shape! If you dont have the stones to pick out this spot and go for it here, how are you going to fare against a competent player pool for a higher buy in $$ event?

As played - I think we HAVE to fold flop. With the bet and raise in front it puts us in a ton of awkward spots and the only good turn card for us at all is a jack, a red Jack would be best. This board hits tons of 2 pairs, straights, combo draws, etc. That being noted - our AK is not nearly as strong as it were preflop. We beat nothing but KJ or K9 and less currently, so I think it's a snap fold.

If we shove pre - we avoid all of this - if KQ decides to get frisky and call a preflop shove, so what? That's great! We would be in a 75/25 spot and they will need to get lucky to beat us! Sometimes they will but if you are not comfortable risking your tournament life as a good favorite then you will not be progressing too far in the MTT world.

Hipw this makes sense and helps. Good luck in your games!

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. Also feels like a 3B to me. We just have to take those flips and there is a good chance he gets it in with AjAQ or KQ which we dominate.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know exactly what I would do preflop - we should ALWAYS be 3betting our AK - and when out of position we would normally size up around 4x anyhow, now with a raise and call in front we have to size up around 5.5x - 6.5x here and it becomes a significant part of our stack leaving us in some pretty awkward bet sizing territory post flop when we have to cbet a ton of boards we miss. I would take my AK and jam it in their faces here preflop!

I agree. While it is normally to much to 3-bet all in with 27-34BB effective, this spot call for it. Even if it somewhat turns our hand face up, what exactly are they going to do about it? If one of them have pocket 5´s and stick in the call, he is basically committing ICM suicide. So we should get a ton of folds, and picking up 6BB uncontested is just, what the doctor ordered for our stack.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, $0.49 + $0.06 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,250/2,500 (250 ante) - 7 players

4 players fold, obstulbey (BU) raises to 5,000, smartasbeans (SB) calls 3,750, jaworek1405 (BB) calls 2,500

smartasbeans (SB) checks, jaworek1405 (BB) checks, obstulbey (BU) bets 6,075, smartasbeans (SB) raises to 18,750, jaworek1405 (BB) folds, obstulbey (BU) folds

Hi guys, it was satellite to Half Price Sunday Storm for 55 cents (I can't write it in title of thread), 7 players left and 4 tickets to the tournament. In this situation I had second stack and I decided only defended big blind with AKo, because player from small blind was a chipleader. I didn't want 3bet squeeze pre flop for about 1/3 of my stack pre flop and play it out of position vs one player from the button. Besides my tactic on the final table was to concentrate on calling allins smaller stacks. In the end I won a ticket and everything ended good for me. What do you thing about this situation defending big blind with ako . On the flop I had TPTK and I wanted to go to the showdown with smaller stack from the button, but chipleader played check raise on the flop and I decided not to risk my stack with a chipleader. The flop was dangerous for me, many outs to flush and straight, some combodraws. Somebody fold here on the flop like me?

Thank U 4 Posting.

This would be a good question for Dara O'Kearney.

Have you seen his ask me anything about satellites thread here on cardschat?

The key to Sat success is not getting knocked out this close to the cash. At times we could fold AA in that same spot post flop.

Hope this helps
:):)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems like it's a fold. With the stack sizes and your position here, it makes sense to pick a better spot to gain chips. You don't need to risk against a big stack facing a flush draw/straight draw and only having TPTK. You played it absolutely perfectly with good patience. Well done!

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough but in this Situation absolutely the right decision. Could have turned out really bad.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Due to satellite, jam preflop.

I like the flop fold.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know exactly what I would do preflop - we should ALWAYS be 3betting our AK - and when out of position we would normally size up around 4x anyhow, now with a raise and call in front we have to size up around 5.5x - 6.5x here and it becomes a significant part of our stack leaving us in some pretty awkward bet sizing territory post flop when we have to cbet a ton of boards we miss. I would take my AK and jam it in their faces here preflop! We are facing a button open and even though the small blind flats they dont (shouldnt) have AK beat...they would 3bet to move us out of the way and isolate the aggressor! Heads up I would never jam here because it's just too risky with 33bb vs one opponent - but I would jam 25bb or less into a single opponent in a heart beat! With 30ish big blinds - a raise from late position and a call - I am shoving preflop! The rest will be what it will be. We are considering being tight and surviving here, fearing busting - you think our opponents fear busting as well? Exploit that feeling! Jam the premium, maximize fold equity! When we do get called, most of the time we will be in great shape! If you dont have the stones to pick out this spot and go for it here, how are you going to fare against a competent player pool for a higher buy in $$ event?

As played - I think we HAVE to fold flop. With the bet and raise in front it puts us in a ton of awkward spots and the only good turn card for us at all is a jack, a red Jack would be best. This board hits tons of 2 pairs, straights, combo draws, etc. That being noted - our AK is not nearly as strong as it were preflop. We beat nothing but KJ or K9 and less currently, so I think it's a snap fold.

If we shove pre - we avoid all of this - if KQ decides to get frisky and call a preflop shove, so what? That's great! We would be in a 75/25 spot and they will need to get lucky to beat us! Sometimes they will but if you are not comfortable risking your tournament life as a good favorite then you will not be progressing too far in the MTT world.

Hipw this makes sense and helps. Good luck in your games!

It’s satellite, folding here it’s justified, we need to survive and get ticket, but if it was regular mtt, I agree with you.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars, $0.49 + $0.06 - Hold'em No Limit - 1,250/2,500 (250 ante) - 7 players

Given the Situation I don't blame you. I've folded pocket Kings to a shove when I knew I could fold my way into a ticket. Great play for a satellite. Why risk it all when there is no real gain from picking a fight with the biggest stack. I'd allow that player to bully the table and I'd sit back and think about my half price tourney entry! Good Luck

Good Luck To All :cool: