€1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Was my jam correct?

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 24/18/1.3

6 max tables MTT deepstack
Hero : 19.8bb deep ON the button
Villain : 35bb deep On the cutoff
Utg+1 fold , utg+2 fold , villain open 2.5 bb , hero shove 88 , sb fold , bb fold , villain call AQs
Flop Kk7
Turn 2
River Q
Busted 9th :(
Was my play correct?:bike:

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is if you're looking for a coin flip situation, which this is. They just got lucky on the river.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call pre however and see a flop. This way you can make the shove on the flop.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20 BB deep is kind of shortstacked for a tourney. 3 bet shoving 88 is kind of a personal taste thing. Some people see any pair and can't wait to get all in, others like to play it more conservatively.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely correct. When he calls you`ve got 40% average equity. Plus you have fold equity. Right push!

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks right to me, CO is probably opening pretty wide so you unfortunately caught him near the top of his range but still a hand that is foldable. You actually did not give him good odds to call because your stack is pretty robust compared to his. You do have to figure that likely at best you are 50/50 to double up if called so what puts this as a +EV play is the fact that villain will/should be folding a lot of the time in this spot. Tough break on the river.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best strategy for small pairs is to watch the flop cheaply and to break a huge pot in case of a set. In this situation, it came down to a coin toss, the so-called “coin flip”

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the jam. several people are responding "do you want to flip?" or "see a safe flop first before getting it in"

flipping is part of tournaments....cannot be avoided if you are going to be a long term winning player. however not all flips are created equal.

anytime you can put yourself into a situtation where you are flipping with some fold equity, that is a pretty profitable flip in a tournament.

at 19bb you definitely should have some fold equity and also the CO range should be pretty wide so he should have lots of hands in his range that are correct to open, and also correct to fold vs a 19bb jam.