$1 NLHE Deep Stacked: Whats the correct move here?

deadhxc

deadhxc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1 NL HE Deep Stacked: Whats the correct move here?

Just got moved to a new table so no clue about anyone

Question #1 should I have reraised Preflop?
Question #2 flat call here? Larger raise?
Question #3 what can we put him on?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t2885)
UTG+1 (t970)
MP1 (t4535)
MP2 (t2590)
MP3 (t4910)
Hero (CO) (t3955)
Button (t2925)
SB (t3310)
BB (t3920)

Hero's M: 52.73

Preflop: Hero is CO with J
heart.gif
, K
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 bets t100, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t250, MP3 calls t250, Hero calls t250, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls t150

Flop: (t1075) 10
spade.gif
, J
diamond.gif
, K
club.gif
(4 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets t350, MP3 calls t350, Hero raises to t750, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t2340 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero ??????????????

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got moved to a new table so no clue about anyone

Question #1 should I have reraised Preflop? (you could have but based on the size of his preflop raise, a call was good IMO)
Question #2 flat call here? Larger raise?(In relation to betting the flop, I would have re-raised to about pot size)
Question #3 what can we put him on?(based on his preflop action, I could put him on AA/QQ/JJ/TT/AQ/AJ and maybe but not likely AK/KK)

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t2885)
UTG+1 (t970)
MP1 (t4535)
MP2 (t2590)
MP3 (t4910)
Hero (CO) (t3955)
Button (t2925)
SB (t3310)
BB (t3920)

Hero's M: 52.73

Preflop: Hero is CO with J
heart.gif
, K
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 bets t100, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t250, MP3 calls t250, Hero calls t250, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls t150

Flop: (t1075) 10
spade.gif
, J
diamond.gif
, K
club.gif
(4 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets t350, MP3 calls t350, Hero raises to t750, 1 fold, MP2 raises to t2340 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero ??????????????
But it's still early in the game, you had just moved tables and this player could be a complete lagtard.

You could call his all-in and still have chips to play with if you lose, I don't really know what to do in this situation as you are only ahead of 50% of what he might be holding(see red).

And his smallish bet on the flop and then reraise all-in is a little suspicious to me and with that said I would lean more to folding as this screams TRAP IMO.

deadhxc

deadhxc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But it's still early in the game, you had just moved tables and this player could be a complete lagtard.

You could call his all-in and still have chips to play with if you lose, I don't really know what to do in this situation as you are only ahead of 50% of what he might be holding(see red).

And his smallish bet on the flop and then reraise all-in is a little suspicious to me and with that said I would lean more to folding as this screams TRAP IMO.

I was thinking he was on either AA or AK tbh, but after his reraise all in I figured a set or more likey AQ and just folded it.
Mainly I was curious if my line up to there was decent enough. ;)

2_Gearzzz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have reraised more because it makes your decision alot easier when he does push.

deadhxc

deadhxc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have reraised more because it makes your decision alot easier when he does push.

whats the logic behind this?

lets say I reraised it up to pot (roughly 2k) one of 2 things happen, he shoves with his remaing few chips which tells me I know I am beat by a set or a straight or he folds and I may have possibly lost out on some equity there.

explain more plz :confused:

R

rsr552

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded right away...it is hard to get away from top two pair but it does seem like a trap...I would put him on a set of 10s...it seems like he is trying to make it seem like a bluff...depending on the skill level of the oponent...if we simply are not sure yet...i would fold to on the safe side

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i fold preflop. i like the raise but calling a 3bet with the UTG+1 left to act could cost you chips. until you get a beed on him i fold if i dont close the action. post flop see you im out of there easy. broadway flops scare me when i'm not holding the nutz. again no reads i give them the nutz and fold. its likely to be showndown so you will get to see if your right or not. i tend to fold more if i will see the cards just a safe way for info IMO.

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. At this point in the tournament calling an UTG raise with several EP callers behind holding KJ, even with position) is a losing proposition. You have no real leverage on the flop, and even if you hit your king or your jack, you could be way behind. And even here, where you've hit two top pair, an All In shove from the villain is unsettling, as you can see. With so many players in the pot, all of whom were willing to play OOP, chances are one of them has AQ, JJ or KK. With no reads on any of them, you were setting yourself up for trouble.

As played however, the re-raise after the flop is not bad at all, and I wouldn't have made it any bigger. It was big enough to take the pot down, and also big enough to get you information on other people's hands.

What to do would really depend on a read. If you know he's a donk or even a LAG, the re-raise could mean JT, KT or AK or even a naked K, and you're good for the call. If you know he's a TAG you could probably put him on TT, JJ or KK for a set, or AQ for the straight.

In any case, given that you don't know the player I think that a fold is the smartest move. You could be way ahead, but are probably way behind. And you're in a position where you can easily wait for a better spot to take down a big pot.

However, there's always the possibility he is putting you on Top Pair and trying to buy the pot. After all, you'd think that a really smart villain who hit a set or a nut straight here would flat call and set up a trap. What do people think about that possibility?

Again, it's very hard to play here given that we have no reads; this is in fact the very reason you don't want to play a hand like KJ against unknown players this early in a tourney. It's not a bad hand per-se, but rather it lends itself to more difficult decisions, as we can clearly see from your situation.

I forget who I heard it from, but someone out there said "when in doubt, fold." Better to get bluffed off a pot than to lose your whole stack this early in the tournament. I say this to you because I've made the same mistake over and over again. In fact, I just did playing AKo from the Small Blind. Live and learn eh?

Best of luck to you, T.