$1 NLHE Deep Stacked: Am I missing some kind of advanced knowledge here or is my villain just plain stupid?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1 NL HE Deep Stacked: Am I missing some kind of advanced knowledge here or is my villain just plain stupid?

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 300/600 Blinds (8 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t61380)
UTG (t8198)
UTG+1 (t13800)
MP1 (t5515)
Hero (MP2) (t28027)
CO (t16689)
Button (t29604)
SB (t15650)

Hero's M: 31.14

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A
club.gif
, 7
spade.gif

4 folds, Hero bets t1500, 2 folds, SB calls t900

Flop: (t3000) 7
club.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
, 3
club.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t2000, SB calls t2000

REALLY? KT diamonds flat-call on 773? I do not understand this part. Call for WHAT? there's no straight or flush draw for him. Why do people call. Is he just an idiot or is this standard floatation of c-bet?

Turn: (t7000) 10
heart.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t5500, SB calls t5500

River: (t18000) K
spade.gif
(2 players)
SB bets t6575, Hero calls t6575

Total pot: t31150

Results:
SB had K
diamond.gif
, 10
diamond.gif
(two pair, Kings and tens).
Hero had A
club.gif
, 7
spade.gif
(three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: Hero won t31750

I've been losing to these kind of donkeys in the past. I just don't know how to comprehend these players. Their logic just doesn't add up. Am I missing something here? Normally, with these kind of hands, I just go "wtf? LMAO, idiot. o well, more money for me." but now, I've seen so many of these kind of players that I'm asking if anyone can tell me how their mind processes for this kind of play. Was I lucky to flop trip 7s and his float didn't work or is he just a fish calling with nothing?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how can you not shove the river? or was he all in?

If he's good, he might be calling to take it away on a later street (float) If he's bad, hes calling because he wants to, and he might hit a pair.. which he did.

Either way if we didnt get it all in on the river it's a mistake as far as i'm concerned.

As for working out if the player is good or bad, we should be picking up on things like bet sizing, the amount of hands he is playing, if he's limping a lot, if he's overly aggressive or loose/passive. At any rate, it's a $1 tournament, very unlikely this guy is good, and definately raise the river to get maximum out of it.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If he's good, he might be calling to take it away on a later street (float) If he's bad, hes calling because he wants to, and he might hit a pair.. which he did.

Either way if we didnt get it all in on the river it's a mistake as far as i'm concerned.

As for working out if the player is good or bad, we should be picking up on things like bet sizing, the amount of hands he is playing, if he's limping a lot, if he's overly aggressive or loose/passive. At any rate, it's a $1 tournament, very unlikely this guy is good, and definately raise the river to get maximum out of it.

I dont think many good players do a lot of floating to try and steal the pot later when OOP.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

he went all-in on the river. i called him. He got eliminated. While I looked at what he had, I was like "wtf? how can he call my bet with KT on a flop 773? WTF do u expect to make with KT on that board? Am I missing something here?"

Normally, I would just laugh it out and go "haha, what a noob. o well, more money for me." but these situations happened way too often that I feel like I'm missing something here. I'm thinking of it's part of floating c-bets to take the pot down on future streets. But then again, this is Daily Dollar. So i don't know what else to think of it as.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems like a standard thing to see at this level, players who always think you're trying to get one over them by bluffing..

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems like a standard thing to see at this level, players who always think you're trying to get one over them by bluffing..

Yeah, exactly. There thought process is something like this. "oooo picture cards, what a hand! Missed flop and he bets, this guy is full of shit, im calling. Oooo a TEN YES!!!! and he's betting omg, i should slowplay."

So basically, these bad players will do a lot of weird stuff, so i wouldnt bother trying to read them or anything like that. Just play fundimentally sound, and lower your requirements to get it all in vs fish at these stakes.

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1

I dont think many good players do a lot of floating to try and steal the pot later when OOP.

"shrug" could be what's called the European float. I've read somewhere that they like to float OOP much more than other places so if one is playing when it's prime time for Europe... Not sure how credible it was though

he went all-in on the river. i called him. He got eliminated. While I looked at what he had, I was like "wtf? how can he call my bet with KT on a flop 773? WTF do u expect to make with KT on that board? Am I missing something here?"

Normally, I would just laugh it out and go "haha, what a noob. o well, more money for me." but these situations happened way too often that I feel like I'm missing something here. I'm thinking of it's part of floating c-bets to take the pot down on future streets. But then again, this is Daily Dollar. So i don't know what else to think of it as.

I've played with a ton of these kind of players(try playing the 10c 360 person SnG/MTT on stars, quite a blast oh and my favorite, pub games) It could be some float but come on, what are the chances of that? It's a 1 dollar game.... Most players there play for the kicks, they don't really think, just kind of act on impulse. So as this person here said:

It doesn't seem likely you had anything when you bet there, looked like a total bluff. Now when a impulsive/bad player figures this they can't find the call button and faster, regardless if they can beat a bluff(real fun when playing live, against certain egotistical players I can kind of provoke them to call my "bluff" then they feel real stupid to see I have a monster hand, a good blow to their ego. lol I remember one guy went on tilt from that)

So to wrap it up, yes he is a bad player. For you to be a good player you need to recognise he is bad and change your game against him(value bet weaker hands, bluff less, play a little looser pre but be careful with this; if you have players limping K7 then your KJ is a good hand but you need to know when your beaten)