$$1 NL HE MTT: 45 Player SitNGo, Bet Size?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
$1
Currency
$
In a 45 player SitNGo on PS, I thought5 my opening raise was large enough to discourage junk players, however, as the saying goes "there's one born every minute"

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Some people defend their BB with any two cards.

I also like to call a (c-)bet with a pair, this is standard as well.

So you were basically very unlucky that he got a second pair on turn, otherwise he'd likely folded there.

Another bad beat but I wouldn't say the play of the other play was completely off. :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would say at least 3BB at this level

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pre flop open sizing is fine given we are 50 BBs deep. Its a good flop for us since villain will call with their draws as well which is what we want assuming we bet size correctly. I think your flop bet sizing is a little large but its not wrong and in this case its good to go bigger if we think villain will still call with worse. I think in game I would have just made it about half pot.

On the turn its a blank, or we think and should be thinking its a blank, so we should definitely fire again since there are draws and smaller pairs that might call a double barrel. I dont like your sizing, though, since what worse hands do you expect most villains (as you say there are always outliers) to call with? So you are setting yourself up here to only get called when you are behind some random two pair hand as what happened here. Next we get check raised after betting pot. What are we thinking here when villain does this? If we are thinking I have top pair so I should be good then its a real problem. Not saying you thought that but unless we think its just an outrageous bluff then we are behind always. So I think you could have pulled the rip cord here and saved some chips even with the great price you were getting on the call but that price is only there because you mis-sized your turn bet.

The takeaway from this hand should not be the bad beat or why some moron called with 62 off pre and then magically got there but more focusing the turn bet size and what my thoughts were when I got check raised. Also planning for the hand because if you are betting pot on the turn then what is the plan the for the river? Triple barreling 50 BBs all in with just top pair (assuming river was in your favor) is probably optimistic and again will only get called by hands that beat you at least the vast majority of the time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Triple barreling 50 BBs all in with just top pair (assuming river was in your favor) is probably optimistic and again will only get called by hands that beat you at least the vast majority of the time.
To be fair it was more like 40BB effective, since the Villain was the effective stack. And I actually think, its ok to go for stacks with KJ in this situation against someone defending their blinds, and also the fact, its a very cheap tournament, where I supposed the average player is less likely to make a big laydown. Obviously information is important here, and if BB was a nit, I would definitely not go for stacks. But given what they actually showed up with, it seems fair to say, they were not a nit :)

With that being said I still agree with you about the pot sized turn bet. Its like standing on a mountain top and announce to the opponent, that we have a very strong hand, which we are never going to fold. Not sure why OP used this sizing, but maybe the idea was, that he wanted the opponent to fold, so that he did not get drawn out on (again). And that is of course not the best way to think about the situation, because then we are essentially bluffing with top pair ;)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a 45 player SitNGo on PS, I thought5 my opening raise was large enough to discourage junk players, however, as the saying goes "there's one born every minute"
Your opening size was fine, and its also fine, that he called with 62. This is exactly, what you want, because then you are generating value. Not only preflop but also postflop, where its difficult for him to defend effectively, when he have so many bad hands in his range. You have shared a lot of hands, that are basically bad beat stories, even though in some of them you made some questionable decisions. There is very little to learn from bad beats, so I challenge you to find 3 hands, that are interesting, and which you won, and then share them here for feedback and discussion :)