1 to 9 odds to limp

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the statistical long run. I think people are just misunderstanding pot odds.

Yes, it is 1:9 pot odds to see the flop. But you don't win hands by seeing the flop, you win them by getting your opponents to fold or
by seeing the river.

Either one of those two options is going to cost you a lot more than 1:9, and they are minus EV.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people are just misunderstanding pot odds.

This is clearly true:

Either one of those two options is going to cost you a lot more than 1:9, and they are minus EV.

The whole point is that when you are putting money in on later streets you will be a huge favourite over the range of your opponent(s). It doesn't "cost" you anything but in fact the opposite - you are the one gaining value by getting as much money is as possible.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The whole point is that when you are putting money in on later streets you will be a huge favourite over the range of your opponent(s). It doesn't "cost" you anything but in fact the opposite - you are the one gaining value by getting as much money is as possible.

If you are tight about what you consider a "hit", it won't happen enough to pay for the losses from the times you fold the flop.

If you are loose about what you consider a "hit," you'll lose more on false hits than you gain back.

Honestly, if you guys think I'm wrong, check your trackers for hands like this. It's a leak.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, if you guys think I'm wrong, check your trackers for hands like this. It's a leak.

Do you think maybe you could be playing them wrong postflop? Also I seriously doubt you have enough data to draw anything incredibly meaningful about this from.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I forgot to mention something rex mentions in a couple of his videos and I think combu might have sort of mentioned earlier in the thread: even if this limp isn't +chip EV (which it probably is) it is still most certainly +dollar EV due to the weighting of the tournamet payout system, as accumulating a mass of chips here makes it a much higher probablity that you'll make it deep and cash big.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator