$1.65 NLHE MTT: out with KK in a satellite, should I fold?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a 1.50+.15 satellite to a $7.70 tourney. There are 6 players left and 4 will win the ticket. I'm 3rd in chips and have a good read on the table. I also have good table position with both short stacks to my left and both big stacks to my right.

Blinds are 75/150

Chips stacks are as follows:

UTG: 1,650
UTG+1: 1,800
Cutoff: 3,100
Button: 6,600
SB: 6,450
BB (me):4,400

It folds around to the SB who limps into my BB and I have KK.

I raise 3x to 450 he calls.

Flop comes T92 rainbow. he checks I bet 660 into 900 he calls.

Turn is a J putting 2 diamonds out. He checks I bet half the pot for 1100, he min raises me to 2,200. I tank. I see that he he could have a straight with Q8 or or 87. He also could have 2 pair with JT. If he has a set he disguised it well, I can't put him on a set. I don't know why, but I just think he's full of it. MAYBE he has JT but I don't think he has a set or a straight. I think it's most likely he flopped a pair of Tens or 9s and just picked up a draw on the turn. He has been playing that way, too. I decide to jam and he insta calls with Q8 offsuit for the turned straight.

Should I just call the turn and hope a 4 card straight or a diamond doesn't come on the river? Should I fold on the turn? it's a hard fold. He could just have 1 pair and a straight draw or flush draw, or even just a bare draw. He has been using his big stack to bully players with his mediocre hands and draws. With 1 card to come I'm in pretty good shape vs a pair and a draw. But would he check raise me there? I guess I should figure his check raise is a pure bluff or really strong. The only REALLY strong hand right now is a straight, so either I think he has a straight or I think he's bluffing.

This is really only a questionable hand for me because of the satellite situation....because I have more than enough chips to steal a couple blinds and just patiently fold my way to a ticket.

I keep going out with KK!!!! In the last 6 tourneys I've played I've gone out with KK in 4 of them.... :( Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
H

hpb846

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what i read , in online poker , thats tough , hard to say ,

i feel my strong suit is reading peoples body language in a situation like that , so me , i would have prolly done exactly what you did , and lost ,
just cuz u lose doesnt mean its a bad choice

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a 1.50+.15 satellite to a $7.70 tourney. There are 6 players left and 4 will win the ticket. I'm 3rd in chips and have a good read on the table. I also have good table position with both short stacks to my left and both big stacks to my right.

Blinds are 75/150

Chips stacks are as follows:

UTG: 1,650
UTG+1: 1,800
Cutoff: 3,100
Button: 6,600
SB: 6,450
BB (me):4,400

It folds around to the SB who limps into my BB and I have KK.

I raise 3x to 450 he calls.

Flop comes T92 rainbow. he checks I bet 660 into 900 he calls.

Turn is a J putting 2 diamonds out. He checks I bet half the pot for 1100, he min raises me to 2,200. I tank. I see that he he could have a straight with Q8 or or 87. He also could have 2 pair with JT. If he has a set he disguised it well, I can't put him on a set. I don't know why, but I just think he's full of it. MAYBE he has JT but I don't think he has a set or a straight. I think it's most likely he flopped a pair of Tens or 9s and just picked up a draw on the turn. He has been playing that way, too. I decide to jam and he insta calls with Q8 offsuit for the turned straight.

Should I just call the turn and hope a 4 card straight or a diamond doesn't come on the river? Should I fold on the turn? it's a hard fold. He could just have 1 pair and a straight draw or flush draw, or even just a bare draw. He has been using his big stack to bully players with his mediocre hands and draws. With 1 card to come I'm in pretty good shape vs a pair and a draw. But would he check raise me there? I guess I should figure his check raise is a pure bluff or really strong. The only REALLY strong hand right now is a straight, so either I think he has a straight or I think he's bluffing.

This is really only a questionable hand for me because of the satellite situation....because I have more than enough chips to steal a couple blinds and just patiently fold my way to a ticket.

I keep going out with KK!!!! In the last 6 tourneys I've played I've gone out with KK in 4 of them.... :( Clearly I am doing something wrong.
preety shit spot mate , I think because its a settelite and your so close to the prize , opponents are playing tighter than usual , and usually are not ****ing around when they raise you , when your villain min raises you on the turn alarm bells are going off.

Im really hating life here and thinking about folding , most villains are calling on the flop for a reason , so hes either got a straight draw or top pair . I think the range of straight or 2 pair you put him on is spot on and seriously thinking about folding here and moving on . Calling turn is probably better than showing , you have no fold equity and cannot be shore you are betting for value.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preety shit spot mate , I think because its a settelite and your so close to the prize , opponents are playing tighter than usual , and usually are not ****ing around when they raise you , when your villain min raises you on the turn alarm bells are going off.

Im really hating life here and thinking about folding , most villains are calling on the flop for a reason , so hes either got a straight draw or top pair . I think the range of straight or 2 pair you put him on is spot on and seriously thinking about folding here and moving on . Calling turn is probably better than showing , you have no fold equity and cannot be shore you are betting for value.

thanks, yeah you're right.

I think the fact that it's a satellite is the major takeway.

I don't need this pot at all to reach my goal.

and since this player has me covered, taking chips from him doesn't really help me reach my goal either....

I should probably re-raise a little more preflop, and then pot control/fold later streets

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had already have the ticket guaranteed. Why bother in playing any single hand, even aces? You anything to win and everything to lose

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had already have the ticket guaranteed. Why bother in playing any single hand, even aces? You anything to win and everything to lose

yes, you are correct. thanks! next time I will probably just sit out...

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks, yeah you're right.

I think the fact that it's a satellite is the major takeway.

I don't need this pot at all to reach my goal.

and since this player has me covered, taking chips from him doesn't really help me reach my goal either....

I should probably re-raise a little more preflop, and then pot control/fold later streets
I like the bet sizing pre and flop , need to charge draws on flop , but slow down turn and pot control

PrayForSpades

PrayForSpades

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His call ore flop and on the flop is pathetic, given the buyin I would run with it, if it was a bigger buyin I would probably give more respect and lay it down.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer here more pre flop, at least 600. The flop - I play all in and I hope that I collect the chips. Besides when you play all in on the flop, he shouldn't call this with GS, maybe sometimes if he is crazy. Besides you can get more respect from opponents.
Second solution for me is all in pre flop :D I know it isn't the best solution, but when you play all in pre flop, you also can get more respect from your opponents, they can think that you are aggressive and they sometimes shouldn't steal your blind or limp to you.

T

TrevVegas

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK I would of pushed only had 2 worry if 2 might call. Ya ok win sat if worried SIT out, u play poker so play

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold is a good decision if you are not sure, do not play. In this case, the 6 people who would rather play with a short stack. They have about 11-12 bb so soon come all ins and deep stack will probably try to throw them out of the tournament.

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites are really extreme when it comes to their payouts affecting people's plays. It's hard to think that sometimes kings or aces can be folds in certain spots but in these yeah they can be. After all, you're not playing for chips, you're playing for your equity in the tournament.

There is a concept called equity ceiling. An example of this is a 6 handed double or nothing game.

We play for 1/3rd of the buyin only. So, our equity in the tournament is maxed out to 33% (it'll never get to that).

Example:

6000 chips player 1 equity ~32.6%
1000 chips player 2 equity ~ 22.1%
1000 chips player 3 equity ~22.1%
1000 chips player 4 equity ~22.1%

So, at this point, the 6000 player literally cannoy gain any more equity in the tournament. So the most profitable play for him may be just to sit out.

I've seen players who are massive donks not cash in a 6 handed don after having 4.5k stack on the bubble. I never thought I'd see that but there you go. Literally would've done better by sitting out.

In your situation, you need to be applying pressure on the two players you can bust. Against players who outchip you, you risk busting out which - with our chipstack - is disastrous.

Hope this helps

Folding in Poker Poker Tells