$1.65 NLHE MTT: Just a humerous hand

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1500gtd 3 levels left of late registration remain.

I'm approximately between 20th-30th in chips out of 450 runners with 50bb.

Folds to me in the HJ and I open 8/9 suited 2.2x.
BB is a tight guy who I have not seen 3bet yet.
Button is a standard level 1 player. SB is a tight n aggressive player.

Button 45bb calls, SB 60bb calls, and BB 42bb calls.

Pot 8.8bb

Flop is beautiful. 993 rainbow.

SB checks and BB (39bb) leads out for 12x ehh?? :icon_scra Guy has 33s? Or a bigger 9? or possibly a slow played overpair?

I call.

Pot 32.8
All other players fold and the turn is an 8. :cool:

BB (27bb) jams for his remaining stack.

I contemplate for my allotted 15 seconds and make the call.

SB turns over T/4 off.

What struck me was - this player had been on my table for at least an hour. His stats were something like 18/14/5 - 280 hand sample size, tight if not maybe even a little nitty. And he just all the sudden thinks this is the spot to blow up - so weird.

I go on to make FT and take 5th for a nice return on my investment.

Not much feedback needed, but thanks for reading. :cool:

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post, got me laughing for a second. This is a weird one for sure. What was he thinking? He bets more than pot size on flop, gets called and still doesn't stop. Maybe he went to the bathroom and his 14 year old kid played the hand for him haha. When I read he made that raise on the flop I thought he for sure had some pocket pair of 10's or above. I wouldn't be worried that he flopped a full house because he would have gone slower with it, give you a chance to catch up. Congratulations on the final result, it must be nice to double your stack in such a weird way.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its always nice, when we have a nutted hand, and all we have to do to get paid is press the "call" button. As for your decisions the only interesting part is, what should you do, if the turn card had not filled you up? And for me I would still have called, because I think, this line looks like a wild bluff.

So even on a blank turn card I would be like "yaaahhh right - show it to me", especially because even with a somewhat bad kicker you do block 9X making it less likely, he can have it. As for his play we can only guess, what happened. Maybe he busted from some other tournaments and then went on crazy monkey tilt and decided to get rid of his chips in this one as well. Whatever the reason good for you of course :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post, got me laughing for a second. This is a weird one for sure. What was he thinking? He bets more than pot size on flop, gets called and still doesn't stop. Maybe he went to the bathroom and his 14 year old kid played the hand for him haha. When I read he made that raise on the flop I thought he for sure had some pocket pair of 10's or above. I wouldn't be worried that he flopped a full house because he would have gone slower with it, give you a chance to catch up. Congratulations on the final result, it must be nice to double your stack in such a weird way.

LOL I was getting donk shoved on by a 14 year old TOO FUNNY!! :D:D:D:D

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its always nice, when we have a nutted hand, and all we have to do to get paid is press the "call" button. As for your decisions the only interesting part is, what should you do, if the turn card had not filled you up? And for me I would still have called, because I think, this line looks like a wild bluff.

So even on a blank turn card I would be like "yaaahhh right - show it to me", especially because even with a somewhat bad kicker you do block 9X making it less likely, he can have it. As for his play we can only guess, what happened. Maybe he busted from some other tournaments and then went on crazy monkey tilt and decided to get rid of his chips in this one as well. Whatever the reason good for you of course :)

Yeah - I was in total check call mode - was go to the river with it regardless.

I did lose a similar hand to this the other day. I called a min-raise open from MP, I was in the bb and called with K/J.
flop comes J9J
opponent cbets I call, turn is an Ace
opponent cbets I call, river is a K.
opponent jams - I call - and he turns A/J.

Cant avoid that. I don't think I made any wrong decision I even thought about the straight but decided Q/T was unlikely, although Q/T could be a min raise hand from MP.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands