$1.50 NLHE STT: What would you have done this hand?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
47 hands into the tourney, first time I've met villain. So far he has been very tight and has folded to a min-raise from my SB a couple times.

pokerstars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 841 (17 bb)
MP: 2,007 (40 bb)
MP+1: 1,787 (36 bb)
CO: 1,321 (26 bb)
BU: 4,394 (88 bb)
SB (Hero): 1,877 (38 bb)
BB: 1,273 (25 bb)

Pre-Flop: (117) Hero is SB with A K
5 players fold, Hero raises to 150, BB calls 100

Flop: (342) 4 T A (2 players)
Hero bets 175, BB calls 175

Turn: (692) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets 300, BB raises to 942 (all-in), SB (Hero) folds

Total pot: 1,292
BB wins 1,292

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I could go either way. The buy-in is pretty low and you can probably rebuy here if your call is off. I would expect your villain to have a set or a flush here. Very few times you will be facing an airball.

Not sure about your bet on the turn. It seems that you are already pot committed when you punt 300 at it, so you might as well have jammed on the turn to at least have a chance to have your opponent fold or otherwise check fold without putting any more of your stack on the line. Maybe someone else can chime in on the action taken on this street.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crazy fold with top pair, top kicker with the nut flush draw blind vs blind

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that seems like a super tight fold. Especially in low buyin SNG's, I've found players can be very spewy. Your odds of winning against Ax that didn't hit 2 pair are 95%, against a combo flush/straight draw are 85ish%, against K10/Q10/J10 with one spade are 91%, against weird small 2 pairs are 36%, against Ax 2 pairs are 25-39% depending on which 2 pairs, against a set are 19% and against a flush are 16%. The most likely hands in a low buyin in my opinion are Ax one pair, K10-J10 one spade, or Ax two pair. You need to pay 642 to win 2576, this is the right call unless villain has a set or flush...against this range of hands it's an easy call.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
47 hands into the tourney, first time I've met villain. So far he has been very tight and has folded to a min-raise from my SB a couple times.

PokerStars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 841 (17 bb)
MP: 2,007 (40 bb)
MP+1: 1,787 (36 bb)
CO: 1,321 (26 bb)
BU: 4,394 (88 bb)
SB (Hero): 1,877 (38 bb)
BB: 1,273 (25 bb)

Pre-Flop: (117) Hero is SB with A K
5 players fold, Hero raises to 150, BB calls 100

Flop: (342) 4 T A (2 players)
Hero bets 175, BB calls 175

Turn: (692) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets 300, BB raises to 942 (all-in), SB (Hero) folds

Total pot: 1,292
BB wins 1,292

Its a tough decision, and you folded to fight another battle.

I would have called that all-in.
1. You dont get knocked out.
2. You had a spade as back up
3. Your villian could have a pocket pair maybe QQ.
4. You can always buy back in.

:):):)

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had another look at this hand. I was getting about 3-1 pot odds. After putting a few different ranges for villain into Equilab I was quite sure I should have called as the lowest I could reasonably bring my equity down to was about 60%.
But I play a lot of this format and really don't think a player who had been this tight would have anything other than a set or flush here, in which cases I've about a 15-20% (or 4:1 at best) chance of winning the hand by hitting another spade. Making this an ok fold.
So am I putting too much faith in my read? Against most opponents in this format I would have considered it an easy call, it's just so rare I come up against a player that tight who would then shove that spot with a draw or A-x.
Not sure about your bet on the turn. It seems that you are already pot committed when you punt 300 at it, so you might as well have jammed on the turn to at least have a chance to have your opponent fold or otherwise check fold without putting any more of your stack on the line. Maybe someone else can chime in on the action taken on this street.
Puzzlefish I hear what your saying about my turn action, I was trying to give him the wrong odds if he was drawing to a flush but perhaps all-in or check would have been better.
Its a tough decision, and you folded to fight another battle.

I would have called that all-in.
1. You dont get knocked out.
2. You had a spade as back up
3. Your villian could have a pocket pair maybe QQ.
4. You can always buy back in.
Bluffzone68 you make a compelling argument, I wasn't definitely behind at this point, I had him out-chipped, I did have spades as back-up and there'll always be another tourney (for me at least)!
Hmm, still unsure what I'd do if I found myself in this exact spot again.

Last edited:
T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Puzzlefish I hear what your saying about my turn action, I was trying to give him the wrong odds if he was drawing to a flush but perhaps all-in or check would have been better.

This confuses me. We WANT him drawing to the flush, as we are holding the nut flush card if another spade hits and he has like the Qs or Js we're stacking him every time. We're only afraid of sets and 2 pair here and we have good equity vs both compared to the pot odds.

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the buy-in level, my instinct is to call the bet or shove. If the player is tight or nitty, it seems to indicate they have some knowledge of ranges. So, wouldn't they also have knowledge that they could open a little wider with such hands as Ax in the BB?

But I have a more fundamental question that just occurred to me. The BB effectively only had to call 2 BBs to a 3x raise. Isn't this giving them the ability to call a bit wider?

In future when everyone folds to me in the SB and I have a premium hand, should I be raising something like 3.5x or 4x to charge the BB for opening wider - especially a LAG type player? Just wondering?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This confuses me. We WANT him drawing to the flush, as we are holding the nut flush card if another spade hits and he has like the Qs or Js we're stacking him every time. We're only afraid of sets and 2 pair here and we have good equity vs both compared to the pot odds.
Good point, my mistake. Was getting muddled between my flop and turn actions. Still think I made a mistake when acting first on the turn. What does anyone else think I should have done there?

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold this. I think you were wrong.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point, my mistake. Was getting muddled between my flop and turn actions. Still think I made a mistake when acting first on the turn. What does anyone else think I should have done there?

I really don't have issue with a single one of your actions. Top pair, top kicker, with a nut flush draw is a very strong holding, especially on that board. There are enough other hands even a tight villain will play that way...that this was an easy call.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet closer to pot size, maybe even over on the flop to take the flush draw odds away.

As it is I would call the All-in since it is not fatal and we have the additional outs in our favor.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Player dependent

At the buy-in level, my instinct is to call the bet or shove. If the player is tight or nitty, it seems to indicate they have some knowledge of ranges. So, wouldn't they also have knowledge that they could open a little wider with such hands as Ax in the BB?

But I have a more fundamental question that just occurred to me. The BB effectively only had to call 2 BBs to a 3x raise. Isn't this giving them the ability to call a bit wider?

In future when everyone folds to me in the SB and I have a premium hand, should I be raising something like 3.5x or 4x to charge the BB for opening wider - especially a LAG type player? Just wondering?

Thank you for posting.

In this instance the BB was tight so a larger raise would have BB folding a ton of hands we dominate. That is the problem with big raises, our opponents fold the hands we want them to play and play only the hands we do not want them to play for a larger pot.

When you have a range advantage you do not want to win 1 bb you want to win their stack.
Versus really bad fish it does not matter but if you play a good LAG and 4 x the SB with AK they will crush you because they are not calling AX. Short stacked your mistake would be lessened but if you are deep that is the kind of action LAGs love.

Position always has value and BB to SB is no exception.

We want to win stacks not hands. This means we will end up losing chips sometimes when we are always going after the other players stack.

:)

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this instance the BB was tight so a larger raise would have BB folding a ton of hands we dominate. That is the problem with big raises, our opponents fold the hands we want them to play and play only the hands we do not want them to play for a larger pot...We want to win stacks not hands...:)

Thanks for the reply...yeah - that makes sense

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never folding here you have the nut flush redraw if your beat atm and he's holding a flush. I would have jammed the turn but as played once he has shoved on you I expect your beat but would call it off hoping to improve

Last edited:
GuiWah

GuiWah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the fold is fine. There are many blinds, you have notes from villain; and most important, probably you are well above field average ;
There is no reason to waste your tournament knowing you have a good edge against the field.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job! It is easy fold. You present very strong hand and get the push.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think both 3 betting on turn and folding is fine. It is really close. You are both on blinds. But according to my opponent's type of style, i could try 3 betting turn.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the pot odds are about 4 to 1 and your river is so wide that it was worth checking the villain

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you can beat value hands that play this way (and you can beat a number of them), you just have to call, especially when given such a great price.

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the place of our hero, I would have dropped a third spike on the board, it’s better to lose a little bit than to finish the tournament prematurely!

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was very confusing how you played the hand, since start to the final.
With AK, could be good move protect the monster hand raising 4 or 5 blind preflop.
On the flop, i think that you made a very low bet, and let to see very cheap the turn to your opponent.
With two cards of the same suit on the board at the flop and to protect my top pair I would have bet 3/4 pot or full pot, then after that you can see how the opponent moves about your bet, and can read better his ranger.
At the turn, maybe you had the winner hand, with top pair and hight flush draw, maybe he had a flush draw too, but he represented very good his flush..

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I would not fold this "monster" AK on the turn. Given, that I bluff with pair.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've called there. The guy could be repping a flush draw and jamming it on the turn would be standard line to take. With the King high flush draw to the river, it's a standard to call with just so many outs.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands