$1.50 NLHE STT Turbo: Interesting Hand of a super loose-passive player.

K

kava113ri3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t/t Blinds - 5 players
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t1340 1 BBs - VPIP: 14, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, hands: 22
CO: t994 1 BBs - VPIP: 18, PFR: 18, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 22
BTN: t7866 1 BBs - VPIP: 73, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 1.1, Hands: 22
SB: t1430 1 BBs - VPIP: 14, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 22
Hero (BB): t1870 1 BBs - VPIP: 22, PFR: 17, 3B: 4, AF: 2.5, Hands: 368

Pre Flop: (t0) Hero is BB with 9♣ T♣
2 folds, BTN raises to t300, 1 fold, Hero calls t300

Flop: (t600) 4♥ 5♦ T♥ (2 players)
Hero bets t500, BTN calls t500

Turn: (t1600) 6♠ (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets t100, Hero calls t100

River: (t1800) 9♥ (2 players)
Hero bets t970, BTN calls t970

Final Pot: t3740
BTN shows Kc Kh
Hero shows 9c Tc
Hero wins t3790
(Rake: t-50)

Last edited:
K

kava113ri3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My thoughts at that moment:

PF: As i will be the only person to the flop with the BTN and was hoping i can get a good draw. So i decided to call his raise.

F: I see i have top pair, and i want to kick him off his hand. Knowing that he is usually very passive on the PF(Call with any hands) and with his initial raise i think he have a huge pair. Therefore, to test out if it was true i raise to 75% of the pot. He called confirming my theory he have the best hand at the point.

T: I wanted check-fold, thinking that i don't have the hand to beat. He raise to 1BB. I think it is value to call down to see the river if i hit another T or 9 cheaply.

R: I hit my 2 pair. i don't think he will call 75% of the pot on the flop with a flush draw so i bet out all in with him with my 2 pair.(i did not put him on flush draw because at PF he already raised to 3BB, normally if it was any other hand he will just flat call then raise PF i put him on a big hand.)

Conclusion: i don't think i should have played T9s. I just got lucky on the flop and river. I just want to share this hand and my thoughts against a super loose-passive player. Hope you guys can give me some tips on what other ways you might have played this hand or not.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, don't post results. You got the spoiler thing wrong, in any case, the spoiler/results mean nothing realistically.

Here we're facing a raise from a loose/passive player. It's important to see that he calls a bunch, it's really odd for him to be raising here right? Even though we only have 22 hands on him, it looks as though he's a "caller" meaning he just loves to call and see flops. He's rarely ever open raising, whenever you do see an open raise, you should be folding anything but really strong hands ourselves. Making loose calls against strong ranges is how we go broke with top pair hands like we hit on the flop. It worked out this time, but it's a sure fire way to burn money.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think your stack is getting too small to flat OOP with these kind of hands PF. Also this kind of super loose player that limps most hands but raises very few is generally only raising premiums so you had to know you were playing a big pot(relative to your stack size) OOP from way behind.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thoughts at that moment:
PF: As i will be the only person to the flop with the dealer and hope i get a good draw. so i decided to call his raise.What you should be thinking is "he has a tight range for raising, i'm out of position with a shallow stack, i'm facing a raise from the only guy at the table who can knock me out, my chip stack is comfortable, i have a terrible hand compared to villians range that plays well in multiway pots, but not in big pots with small SPR (stack to pot ratios), and even if i hit a hand, i'm likely gonig to be behind (*read up on 'reverse implied odds), therefore, i fold and move onto the next hand.
F: I see i have top pair so i want to kick him off the hand. Knowing that he is usually very passive on the PF(Call with any hands) with his initial raise i think he have a huge pair. Therefore, to test out if it was true i raise to 75% of the pot. He call confirming my theory he have the best hand at the point.So you had the correct thought process, but you call anyway, so basically you wanted to call and "hope to hit a big hand" that big hand doesn't hit very often, most of the time we're stuck with top pair or middle pair and have no idea what to do. Our bet here is essentially a bluff with top pair. you may as well do this play with 23 off suit...
T: I wanted check-fold, thinking that i don't have the hand to beat. He raise to only 1BB. I think it is value to call down to see the river if i hit another T or 9 cheaply. at this point in the hand, yes, you are pretty much priced in, he could also still have something like AQ, AK that he fell in love with/can't fold so yeah, call.
R: I hit my 2 pair. i don't think he will call 75% of the pot on the flop with a flush draw so i bet out all in with him.lucky you.

Conclusion: i don't think i really play very well by call PF with T9s. I just got lucky on the flop and river. I just want to share this hand and my thoughts against a super loose-passive player. Hope you guys can give me some tips on what other ways you might have played this hand.

yes, go with your intial read of "he's really strong preflop here" and just fold, get to the next hand and try to exploit things when he is just calling preflop. Against this type of player, the ideal way is to either wait for big hands, raise big, and bet/bet/bet posflop, or get into cheap pots with him, and put in little bets on dry boards he's unlikely to hit, or value bet more middle pair/weak top pair hands for value.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold pre. Can you list any good reasons for putting in nearly 1/6 of your still very playable stack with T9s OOP against an opponent with a very strong range who happens to be the only one who can bust you?

As played, his range on the flop is still as strong as before, so big pairs and AK. How much of this range is he folding no matter how much you bet? How often are you ahead with your top pair? And what are you going to do if he raises? Since he's so passive, there's at least some chance he won't cbet AK, so check and fold if he bets. If he checks behind, he's likely to have AK so you can play the turn accordingly.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with all to fold pre.

that said....I don't mind the flop bet.

You should be looking to fold the turn except he basically wouldn't let you....so he made an error that you benefited from.

In the end you played preflop poorly, and he played the turn poorly and the luck landed with you.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the turning point is on the turn. He made mistake by letting you stay.
You should thank the poker gods for being lucky on the river.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands