River: (410, 2 players) J:diamond:
MP bets 200, Hero folds

The Messiah

The Messiah

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Against this stack size I think you've played it fine, consid he's fairly committed if he's caught any bit of the board.
His continuing range on that flop is heavily weight towards weak Ax type hands and FD aswell as sets, I would be expecting a raise a raise on the flop more often if he did in fact have a set/FD so would expect Ax a higher % of the time here.
Against a bigger stack, like 1500+ I wouldn't mind 3 barreling this excellent run off as it just crushes our perceived range and he would find it hard to call knowing he would only be beating a bluff with his weak hands that beat us.
But, at these stakes I guess people would find it hard to fold TP/2 pair hands so its close whether to just give up on turn too(against a 1500+ stack)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems fine to me - call preflop can be all sorts of pair/Ax/broadway hands so the c-bet looking to take it down is OK but once villain calls it starts to feel a lot more like Ax or a draw. Ax beats us and isn't folding, the only real draw on the flop was the flush draw, which hit the turn and isn't folding so... yeah, seems absolutely fine to me.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine.

Fwiw, i would have raised to 60 preflop, this guys stack is small, we want him to continue preflop since i also would assume without any reads that a guy who has lost half his stack early is bad. Since we also have the button, i'm not really worried about any calls behind us.

Making it 60 pre means the pot is around 140ish, meaning i can bet around 60-70 on the flop, then follow up with a turn c-bet of around 100. That way, i can check back the river and see a showdown. You mgght think its really small compared to pot size and it is, but it's really forcing him to make a move. He can call if he likes, which falls into the gameplan below. or he can raise me and make my decision easy.

I find that betting flops and chceking turns is just asking for people to bluff you. Like, lets say river is an 2 of spades, suddenly the decision is a little tougher, and your just guessing as to which way it is. I prefer to take control and force him to be a hero if he wants to raise, while at the same time controlling that pot size to minimize losses if we are behind,

keep in mind tournament play has a survival aspect to it,,,