$1.50 NLHE STT: cbetting monotone board OOP?

L

leeroy818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, $1.32 + $0.18 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 8 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 1,244 (25 bb)
UTG+1: 2,086 (42 bb)
MP: 1,333 (27 bb)
MP+1: 1,695 (34 bb)
CO: 2,838 (57 bb)
BU: 1,753 (35 bb)
SB: 1,204 (24 bb)
BB: 1,347 (27 bb)

Pre-Flop: (123) Hero is UTG with 7 7
Hero raises to 110, 4 players fold, BTN calls 110, 2 players fold

Flop: (343) 6 J K (2 players)
Hero bets 113, BTN calls 113

Turn: (569) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets 438, BTN calls 438

River: (1,445) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets 577 (all-in), BTN calls 577

Hi, looking for some input on the hand above which I played in a 9max SNG on Pokerstars.

I have no real reads on villain, first time I've seen them. Villain has not made a single PF raise yet... although only 16 hands into the game, so won't read TOO much into that.

My questions are:

1. Should I be cbetting this monotone flop with my actual hand OOP? My thoughts were that I could fold out some better hands like Jx, and get a street of value against a naked Ah or Qh. I also think the flop is best for my range.

3. I'm fairly sure my turn cbet is good when I make my set, as I'm now getting value from all Kx combos which he flats the flop cbet with, as well as the flush draws. I sized up here, betting closer to 75% pot. Not sure if I should have kept the turn cbet on the small side again? I figured my hand was fairly well disguised, so going larger might induce villain to shove with his Kx combos, especially if they have a heart with the K.

4. What are we supposed to do on this river? Check-folding seems sickening given how much I've bet into the pot already. I'm still beating a lot of hands, and I only had 11.5bb behind (which I guess means that my sizing earlier in the hand was wrong to have left this amount by the river?).

Thanks for any input!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, $1.32 + $0.18 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 8 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG (Hero): 1,244 (25 bb)
UTG+1: 2,086 (42 bb)
MP: 1,333 (27 bb)
MP+1: 1,695 (34 bb)
CO: 2,838 (57 bb)
BU: 1,753 (35 bb)
SB: 1,204 (24 bb)
BB: 1,347 (27 bb)

Pre-Flop: (123) Hero is UTG with 7 7
Hero raises to 110, 4 players fold, BTN calls 110, 2 players fold

Flop: (343) 6 J K (2 players)
Hero bets 113, BTN calls 113

Turn: (569) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets 438, BTN calls 438

River: (1,445) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets 577 (all-in), BTN calls 577

Hi, looking for some input on the hand above which I played in a 9max SNG on Pokerstars.

I have no real reads on villain, first time I've seen them. Villain has not made a single PF raise yet... although only 16 hands into the game, so won't read TOO much into that.

My questions are:

1. Should I be cbetting this monotone flop with my actual hand OOP? My thoughts were that I could fold out some better hands like Jx, and get a street of value against a naked Ah or Qh. I also think the flop is best for my range.

3. I'm fairly sure my turn cbet is good when I make my set, as I'm now getting value from all Kx combos which he flats the flop cbet with, as well as the flush draws. I sized up here, betting closer to 75% pot. Not sure if I should have kept the turn cbet on the small side again? I figured my hand was fairly well disguised, so going larger might induce villain to shove with his Kx combos, especially if they have a heart with the K.

4. What are we supposed to do on this river? Check-folding seems sickening given how much I've bet into the pot already. I'm still beating a lot of hands, and I only had 11.5bb behind (which I guess means that my sizing earlier in the hand was wrong to have left this amount by the river?).

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for posting.

Preflop 77 is a borderline raise UTG with 25bb at these stakes.

Flop your bet is a one and done type of bet so the sizing is too small to get Jx to fold at these stakes. As we know it is a one and done we bet large and fold to min raise with the nuts play the V will make.

The issue with betting at all on the flop is this flop smashes the BTN call range and we have a terrible flush draw in a game were V are folding pairs only 20% of the time.

Turn we bet large with our set but it is not the nuts and no flush draw is folding.

River flush hits and the hand that the V plays like this most often is the flush draw better than ours. When we shove worse folds and better calls so why are we shoving?

At this level the V may have been terrible enough to call all the way to the river with Jx but if we thought they were folding that on the flop when we bet then why are we thinking they have it on this river to call a shove.

As we define ranges at the river we have to remember what we thought the result of our flop action would be -Turn action as well.

A good exercise after the hand is to actually estimate by typing it out what range the V has on this river.

Eample

Axhh BTN will call with 100% of suited aces here.
Kx Btn calls all suited Kx and KQ-9 off suit preflop and on flop
That means V has KxQh-Th- 9h
Qxhh V has QT-2 maybe more as well as QxTh 9H 8H preflop

This is just a start of preflop

After we bet big on turn will our V still be chasing with 5h 4h 3h 2h? Will they then call the river shove with those? Maybe but with what frequency?

Hope this helps
:)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of the tougher spots you will see in my opinion. 25 BB stack with 77 UTG and then get to a flop that misses our set but is all one suit where we have one of the suit and still some value with a pair. I might get flack for this but I would not be against folding pre here. The stacks of everyone are not deep so we are betting 2.2 BBs to try to nail a set and get 25 BBs (our stack) and this is only if we hit a set, it holds up, and there is a willing partner to stack off into us. I dont think I would fold in game but its a possibility and at least up for debate in my opinion on these stacks.

Once in the hand I lean towards check calling the flop as long as the price is not crazy to do so. With the turn being a 7 had we check called the flop my plan would be to check with the intention of check jamming. If at that point villain has it they have it but would probably go with it there.

As played I think if you are to c bet the flop it should be larger to at least properly charge the one heart hands that continue. On the turn we have about 2 SPR so we can always overjam since it is no limit but only flushes would call us so thats not a good option to me. I'm thinking we should bet an amount that charges one heart hands and where one pair hands could still call us so something like 35-45% of pot here. That would allow us to jam the river if we would want to. The river is a bad card because one pair hands that arent flushes arent paying us anything (although with a large a bet as you made on the turn I dont think villain has a one pair hand and shouldnt have a heart draw either, they should be flush heavy) and the bigger flushes now could exist if they did call the turn. We also have so little left on the river that its tough to fold now too. I think at this point we are committed so you can lead here but I think you have a better shot at getting money from a worse hand by checking and hoping they turn something into a bluff. I really dont see a Kx hand that is not a heart jamming if checked to but I that shouldnt be calling either so I probably just check call it off here hoping they do have something worse that they though 4 to a flush scared us. We do a 7 high flush which I doubt is good against villains flushes but it is something.

This is real tough spot start to finish so Im interested in what the other posters have to say about this hand.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of the tougher spots you will see in my opinion. 25 BB stack with 77 UTG and then get to a flop that misses our set but is all one suit where we have one of the suit and still some value with a pair. I might get flack for this but I would not be against folding pre here. The stacks of everyone are not deep so we are betting 2.2 BBs to try to nail a set and get 25 BBs (our stack) and this is only if we hit a set, it holds up, and there is a willing partner to stack off into us. I dont think I would fold in game but its a possibility and at least up for debate in my opinion on these stacks.

Once in the hand I lean towards check calling the flop as long as the price is not crazy to do so. With the turn being a 7 had we check called the flop my plan would be to check with the intention of check jamming. If at that point villain has it they have it but would probably go with it there.

As played I think if you are to c bet the flop it should be larger to at least properly charge the one heart hands that continue. On the turn we have about 2 SPR so we can always overjam since it is no limit but only flushes would call us so thats not a good option to me. I'm thinking we should bet an amount that charges one heart hands and where one pair hands could still call us so something like 35-45% of pot here. That would allow us to jam the river if we would want to. The river is a bad card because one pair hands that arent flushes arent paying us anything (although with a large a bet as you made on the turn I dont think villain has a one pair hand and shouldnt have a heart draw either, they should be flush heavy) and the bigger flushes now could exist if they did call the turn. We also have so little left on the river that its tough to fold now too. I think at this point we are committed so you can lead here but I think you have a better shot at getting money from a worse hand by checking and hoping they turn something into a bluff. I really dont see a Kx hand that is not a heart jamming if checked to but I that shouldnt be calling either so I probably just check call it off here hoping they do have something worse that they though 4 to a flush scared us. We do a 7 high flush which I doubt is good against villains flushes but it is something.

This is real tough spot start to finish so Im interested in what the other posters have to say about this hand.

Thank you for posting

You state-
This is one of the tougher spots you will see in my opinion. 25 BB stack with 77 UTG and then get to a flop that misses our set but is all one suit where we have one of the suit and still some value with a pair. I might get flack for this but I would not be against folding pre here.

At these stakes V fold on average 1 pair 20% of the time so we lose the ability to win pots often enough by getting a pair larger than our 7's to fold.
Combining Pos 25bb and 9M SNG leaning towards fold is not a bad play at all. If we have a skill edge folding is better than raising vs this type of V.

:dito::):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This is a bit of a marginal open, when stacks are so short, and we should definitely not open any pocket pair worse than 77. Before opening any hand its always important to think about, what we want to happen, and how we are going to react, if something else happen. And here were are really hoping for one of the following:

1) Everyone fold and we pick up the blinds and antes
2) Someone call and we flop a set
3) We get called by someone in the blinds and see a good flop, where we can take it down with a C-bet

Any other scenario than those 3 is very bad for us, and if they happen, we should mostly be looking to get out and cut our losses. We cant profitably call a 3-bet, and we dont make money in poker by playing third or fouth pair out of position.

Flop
We did not get, what we were looking for, so our mindset now should be to cut our losses. Hopefully the opponent will check back and allow us to see a turn, but if not then just check-fold and be done with the hand. Unless we specifically improve to a set, we have no idea, where we are, and we are out of position. This is why, we need a good hand to open UTG.

Turn
Great turn card obviously, and now you can either bet, as you did, or go for a check-jam. If you bet, I would go a bit smaller to leave more chips behind for the river.

River
Now there is a 1-liner to a flush, and even though you have the 7 high flush yourself, I would check and hope he check back a hand like top pair, which you beat. If he jam, I would usually fold, since its very difficult for people to find bluffs on these 4-flush boards. If he was drawing to a flush, he made it, and he is not calling flop and turn with a straightdraw, when a made flush is already possible. So per definition there are no busted draws on a 4-flush board, and the hands, people can use as bluffs, are all made hands like top pair. And at low stakes people just typically dont turn made hands into bluffs.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me in poker the most important thing is to be able to controll every actions - even if you aren't.
Playing from UTG any hand is a dangeour, you took controll to others. And most of them can reach flop in a better position to act. So you have to select cards wise which worth to jump into a crowd blind.

77 is an outsider hand, could worth that mini-raise (at this level) but could be a fold from here pre. As its hard to improve and the conditions I mentioned above. Without seeing anything, we hit almost the best outcome as just 1 called us, but we have to act first.
We miss the flop, but blocking a heart. If I'm thinking villain's brain King could favour us, heart too. So I find this blocking mini-raise actually super. And seeing the call is the best that it could happen from this party.

Now at this point we opened twice small, the pot is relatively small, and we are having a 3rd pair. Moving on no matter what cards will gonna fall, I think we need to not continue the building! The turn brought :7c4: making our set, but at this point there's a huge chance that we are not favourite or river can make trouble. So what I can say here: check.
1) If he raises after your check, it can be a shove definitely for max value,
2) and if he does check back and still pick up his flush on river we can say we were unlucky. But if he checks back and river came with heart, we didn't build a huge pot so he can't eliminate us ever since.

Last edited:
jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, IMO 77 from utg on 25bb in stack is good to play. I everyday play micro sng on 45 players and always on first three level of blinds I raise usually 3x, sometimes more than 3x, because of deep stack in my opponents. On the flop for me is better playing check and give up third pair, we also have very weak flush draws, so I give up this hand on the flop and fold if he would bet. If we can see free turn card and later hit sets of 777 we should bet for value, at least 67% of the pot, maybe over 70% of the pot, because opponent can have better flush draw, so bet on the turn is like protecting this hand. The river card - river card is very bad for us, we can bluffs or we can fold. Hard decision. It depends how many bb we have in stack. If we have small stack on the river I think we can bluff for the rest of stack. If we have more than 10bb in stack maybe it is good to fold on the river. GL :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, IMO 77 from utg on 25bb in stack is good to play. I everyday play micro sng on 45 players and always on first three level of blinds I raise usually 3x, sometimes more than 3x, because of deep stack in my opponents. On the flop for me is better playing check and give up third pair, we also have very weak flush draws, so I give up this hand on the flop and fold if he would bet. If we can see free turn card and later hit sets of 777 we should bet for value, at least 67% of the pot, maybe over 70% of the pot, because opponent can have better flush draw, so bet on the turn is like protecting this hand. The river card - river card is very bad for us, we can bluffs or we can fold. Hard decision. It depends how many bb we have in stack. If we have small stack on the river I think we can bluff for the rest of stack. If we have more than 10bb in stack maybe it is good to fold on the river. GL :)

Thank you for posting

You state:

on first three level of blinds I raise usually 3x, sometimes more than 3x,

We want to have post flop strategies when we raise 3x or more as we are going to win the blinds or narrow our V's range in a way that is -EV with 77 UTG vs standard V 9 handed.
Our V have to overfold and play passively with draws for this to be long term +

So at 4x vs deep stacks our V may call IP with JJ-22 as well as a lot of Ax-T Kx-T Qx-9
Far less 65 54x A6-A2. This is not a good V range for us to try to win a big pot with 77 OOP

Hope this helps
:):):)

Last edited:
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The open is fine and initially I was worried about the cbet OOP - we do alot of cbetting in position on monotone boards and always use a small sizing -- here when we open UTG or UTG1 and the CO or BTN calls, we do alot of cbetting OOP when we would normally check - especially cbetting boards with 2 broadway cards like this one - so thr cbet actually isn't too bad as this board favors our range much more than the BTN - that said when the 7 comes in on the turn - im overbet jamming the pot -- Ax of hearts probably not folding, definitely not folding if they have a pair to go along with it, two pair not folding, QT with a heart probably not folding - so we get value from quite a bit here when we take such an odd line.

That said, when we get called on the turn and the river brings in the 4 liner...we no longer have a set, we have a bluff catcher and leading here all in is ONLY getting called by flushes. So we are basically value towning ourselves here and punting off this tournament.

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop:
I don't like to play 77- in early game from UTG, but a raise of 2,5BB is nice if you like to play this hand

Flop:
The flop is a bit coordinated and has a lot of flush draws, in this spot I prefer to check and try to do the pot control

Turn:
The 7 at the turn is very good for you and a half pot it's a nice bet to me

River:
The river complete the flush and in this spot I prefer check/fold of check/call if the villain do a small bet

You can try to do a block bet of 1/3 pot here too

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I believe this is the optimal line - and the one I would also take.
I also fold 77s pre from EP - I suspect - more than the field does - at this stack depth.

Great post HPGOD

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
C-Betting small on flop has some merits, But 25BB stack size can make us pot committed.

On turn when we hit our set, betting big makes sense. If we get some flush or straight draws to fold, that will be good.

River is a tough spot. I would have checked the river and might have called at 20% frequency if I think that Button can bluff with missed straight draws.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop had to be played check-call. And push the turn.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars