$1.50 NLHE MTT: Unavoidable cooler? Or would you fold.

E

Eclipsenz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars - $1.29+$0.21|100/200 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

BB: 7,911.00
Hero (UTG): 5,145.00
CO: 2,995.00
BTN: 1,944.00
SB: 2,480.00

SB posts SB 100.00, BB posts BB 200.00

Pre Flop: (300.00) Hero has Th Ts

Hero raises to 400.00, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to 1,168.00, Hero calls 768.00

Flop: (2436.00, 2 players) Tc Jc Qs
BB bets 6,743.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 3,977.00 and is all-in

Turn: (10390.00, 2 players) Ac

River: (10390.00, 2 players) Jd

BB shows Qh Qd (Full House, Queens full of Jacks) (Pre 81%, Flop 93%, Turn 93%)
Hero shows Th Ts (Full House, Tens full of Jacks) (Pre 19%, Flop 7%, Turn 7%)
BB wins 10,390.00

Villian won a triple pot early game and has played quite wide, repectable, but wide, he pops me back I feel had to call..

Now he shoves right into me, now I just thought, he wouldn't have AK I once tried stealing from position and check calls check/rr turn which said to me he had the nuts/strong hand, such a coordinated board though, I guess a smart thing is to lay down depsite possibly having the best hand as he could be shoving on draws here aswell or TPTK with gutshot?

E

Eclipsenz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh btw its 27man, 5 get paid, I'm sitting in third

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you estimate villains 3-bet range to look like?

E

Eclipsenz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ+ tbh, I'd easily put him on KK and AA here aswell hes protecting his hand, well thats what I gathered. It could be many possibilities as like I said he has played quite wide and when the time he did have a strong hand against me he check raised the turn rather than shoving the flop.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm not mistaken, he just about 3-bet you, might as well said he did with only being 32 chips short of a 3-bet, and most times a respectable player will 3-bet with AA/KK/QQ from my experience.

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up and based on your chip count, I would not have played your hand any differently. Even though it was a very scary flop, you were heads up. And the only 2 hands that had you dominated were JJ or QQ. Unfortunately, he had one of those.
Even if he flopped the straight, you had several outs. But I am NOT throwing away my set in your situation, unless you both have a BUNCH of chips and he is putting most or all of them at risk.

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ+ tbh, I'd easily put him on KK and AA here aswell hes protecting his hand, well thats what I gathered. It could be many possibilities as like I said he has played quite wide and when the time he did have a strong hand against me he check raised the turn rather than shoving the flop.
Exactly. There was also a very strong chance that he was sitting on pocket kings or aces. Nothing to be ashamed of. Take your loss and move on. :)

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold pre because of ICM (lots of short stacks), he's rarely going to be 3betting light given stacks

shinedown u might wanna check what 3bet means

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I hit the set I don't think I can fold to a shove on the flop. I am probably folding this pre however. The BB is OOP plus we have a stack that can hurt him so I think he would probably be 3 betting pretty tight here. Basically we are set mining imo and we definitely don't have the odds for that.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold pre because of ICM (lots of short stacks), he's rarely going to be 3betting light given stacks

OMG, I feel so stupid and embarrassed:eek:.
All this time I thought a 3-bet was a raise of 3x original bet.

But I still stand by my crappy analysis, he may not have 3-bet you but his raise of 3x your bet pre from a respectable player usually means a AA/KK/QQ

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't automatically assume that every player at this level is even aware of ICM never mind how to apply it.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
doesn't mean we can't use ICM? just stick an and in between my two sentences

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm not mistaken, he just about 3-bet you, might as well said he did with only being 32 chips short of a 3-bet, and most times a respectable player will 3-bet with AA/KK/QQ from my experience.

I think you mean 3x.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sorry missed this

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly. There was also a very strong chance that he was sitting on pocket kings or aces. Nothing to be ashamed of. Take your loss and move on. :)

Calling the 3 bet is close but a fold, considering you're playing 20% of your stack, you may have to call down tough boards and hes rarely 3 betting an UTG raise with much worse. His range is probably AQ+ (maybe AJ), 1010+. On the flop its bad luck but half of his range did get there, although you definitely cant fold.

But I still stand by my crappy analysis, he may not have 3-bet you but his raise of 3x your bet pre from a respectable player usually means a AA/KK/QQ

If your 3 bet range is QQ+ then you that makes you a nit and not a respectable player.

Folding in Poker