$1.50 NLHE MTT Turbo: Is AKo a fold in this situation?

T

tomasdig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm halfway through a 45 player sitngo, only played 21 hands with these players. CO has been somewhat tight (14/5) and SB somewhat loose (35/20).

Should I have just shoved UTG with a stack this size?

As played, is this a fold? Do I wait for a better spot?

pokerstars - 60/120 Ante 15 NL - Holdem - 7 players

Hero (UTG): 2,240 (18.7 bb)
UTG+1: 3,631 (30.3 bb)
MP: 2,476 (20.6 bb)
CO: 1,430 (11.9 bb)
BTN: 1,514 (12.6 bb)
SB: 5,748 (47.9 bb)
BB: 1,164 (9.7 bb)

7 players post ante of 15, SB posts 60, BB posts 120

Pre Flop: (pot: 285) Hero has Kd As
Hero raises to 300, 2 folds, CO raises to 1,415 and is all-in, fold, SB raises to 5,733 and is all-in, fold, Hero ??

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there are 2 all-ins, this is always a bit concerning, because the second player should have a stronger range than the first one. But even so AK is still such a strong hand, that I would just snap call here. And even more so when SB is playing 35/20. Yes 21 hands is a small sample, but its still an indication, that he is probably not a nit.

Its different, if this was the final table. Then AK is a fold with this action behind you, and you should basically bank on CO busting, so you get a payjump. However in this spot you were still far from the money, and then chip accumulation is more important than outlasting other players.

I plugged the scenario into ICMizer, and with 28 players left your calling range is 99+, AK. So it is actually somewhat close, but AK is a correct call. On the final table your calling range would only be KK+.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree mostly with fundiver. I think that in turbo tournament you can call this allin, because I think that players on turbo tournament are more loose than players in no turbo tournament. I think that raise pre flop in this situation on 18-19bb is better than allin pre flop, because on the table we have three players who are shortstacks and when you play allin pre flop on 18-19bb with smaller stacks on the table your allin will seem very strong. I think that worth to risk and better raise pre flop, because short stacks players can go allin pre flop. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just for the record I would also call this, if it was a regular speed tournament like the 1$ or 3,5$ 45 man with 10 minute blind intervals. As for the first action I usually min-raise with 19BB effective, but anything up to 2,5BB is not terrible. I dont like open jamming. It would of course be +EV with AK, but I dont think, its optimal. By making a small open we can induce a rejam from a lot of dominated hands, which would have folded to an open jam.

T

tomasdig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you both for your insights. I actually did snap call. Ran into AQo in SB and AhJh in CO, busted out to a SB's straight on the river. Not much to do there. But I did reconsider my decision. As fundiver said, had this been on a final table or near the money, I probably would've folded (or at least considered it).

As for the UTG raise here, I had the same thought process. With 16 BBs maybe I'll open shove a portion of the time.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not gonna get a lot of opportunities like this in turbos. This goes right in the middle. Its hard to miss many spots in turbos cause you blink and suddenly the blinds are so high that its like DANG!!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think open jamming is bad here but I dont like anywhere near as much as open raising 2-2.25BB. My intention when making the open would be to call off any all in bets. I dont love it that there are two here but I would still be calling. The CO is at 12BB ish so they have almost no option when we raise to them except all in or fold. Their hand could be A8+ here and any pocket pair and we have a blocker to Aces and Kings. That just leaves us to worrying about the SB which could have a big hand but again we have blockers to the only two hands we are really worried about and blockers to the 3rd that I would worry about which is another AK. Could be that SB has AK and CO has a pair and we are in trouble but we should be willing to take the chance. Plus even if we lose to CO but beat SB we will have 12 or so BBs which is enough to still play push/fold. I see no reason here not to call and put it all in the middle.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not the best situation for risk in my opinion. AK is not good enough against three players. This is a lottery with small chances. You can easily make up for your losses by stealing the blinds in the next rounds.
I prefer to have a pocket pair, because players overestimate such hands as AK, AQ, AJ and block each other reducing their chances in a triple all-in.

Folding in Poker