$1.50 NLHE MTT: Could I have gone bigger on the river here?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software
I think calling from the BB is pretty standard in this situation and I flop a huge draw so calling down is also correct. I hit my card on the river and bet about 1/4 pot. Not sure if he has anything here but I thought about it later that he kept leading every turn and I might have gotten more value here, especially after seeing he actually made a pair with my flush card! Maybe checking again would have been correct. I was pretty sure he would just check back since I called his lead on every street so I led on the river.

What do you fine folks think?

[I was able to take 3rd out of 124 in this one. My stack got weakened when I shoved A9 and a short stack woke up with AK. Pretty sure that was the correct play just at the wrong time. After that I kinda went card dead and couldn't fight back but I was really happy with this result.]

NL Holdem $1.50+$0.15 (2600.00BB)
SB ($33765)
HERO ($112024)
HJ ($26342)
CO ($93240)
BTN ($54045)

Dealt to Hero: A 6

HJ Folds, CO Raises To $6840, BTN Folds, SB Folds, HERO Calls $3900

Hero SPR on Flop: [5.4 effective]
Flop ($16000): 2 4 T
HERO Checks, CO Bets $6500 (Rem. Stack: $79900), HERO Calls $6500 (Rem. Stack: $98684)

Turn ($29000): 2 4 T T
HERO Checks, CO Bets $8926 (Rem. Stack: $70974), HERO Calls $8926 (Rem. Stack: $89758)

River ($46852): 2 4 T T Q
HERO Bets $13013 (Rem. Stack: $76745), CO Calls $13013 (Rem. Stack: $57961)

CO shows: 8 Q

HERO wins: $72878

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
i'm going to check here since he keeps betting and just hopes he bets again on the river

E

ElmerS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would possible jam on the river.
Yes you are representing a strong flush when you do but a lot of players use that line as a bluff so calling stations still calls in this spot.
+it allows you to turn hands like A2o, A4o or a pocket pairs into a bluff and force stronger hands to fold.
At the mistakes even Tx would fold most of the time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Indeed a standard defend to a small open raise like this, but not one I am ever excited about. Its more like "oh god do I really have to? Ok I call".

Flop
Pretty good flop of course, and while check-calling is definitely +EV and therefore better than check-folding, I perfer to take a more aggressive line here to put pressure on him on a board, which he has missed a lot of the time. You can do that by check-raising, but you are also allowed to lead on a low monotone board, because you have more suited hands and more low cards in your range, than he does.

Turn
This was not a great card for you, so as played I am just check-calling again. Against a large bet we would even need to consider folding.

River
Totally on board with leading out. A lot of hands in his range check back now, and typically people cant find bluffs on a 4-flush board, because all their draws got there. It turns out, he kind of accidentally backed into top pair, but we dont expect him to barrel the turn with a lot of hands, that dont contain a spade like maybe K8 with K of spades. He actually did, but we had no way of knowing that until showdown.

As for sizing you are trying to get called by some fairly weak hands like worse flushes and maybe trips, so I definitely dont like the idea of jamming. If you jam, you might even create a situation, where you only get action, when you are beat by a boat. But on the other side 25% pot is probably leaving some money on the table. So somewhere around half pot is the size, I would use. This also leave just enough room to at least consider a bet-fold.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My call on the Turn was based on this player. He had not demonstrated much ability until now. But I did think about it! Bet was just too small and the upside too high to fold on the Turn.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Specifically speaking about the river - I don't think we can just lead the 4 liner board here very much and so when we do, we cannot bet very large. Why? Because we don't target much...the K or J of clubs Specifically may call a larger bet, but worse flush cards or maybe a Tx holding just isn't calling a huge river bet. I think you may be able to go as big as 20k on the river, but I would bet moreso around the 17-19k mark, go for 35-40% pot. Splitting hairs here tho - the answer to your post of "can I bet bigger on the river?" - the overall answer is no, you aren't targeting much here and so there aren't many hands that can and will call a large bet here.

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed, leading out small to charge some weak pairs or top pairs. Always trying to go for maximal value will be a little greedy.