$1.5 NLHE STT: Pushing with weak as

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all I want to know if the push was correct. And then what do you think about pushing with weak ases on spots like this. Maybe it would be better to push with any other two high cards because most of the time the villian is going to call me with a better as and I'll be dominated.

What do you think?

poker stars, $1.29 Buy-in (75/150 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 4 Players

CO: 4,185 (27.9 bb)
Hero (BTN): 975 (6.5 bb)
SB: 2,400 (16 bb)
BB: 5,940 (39.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 2
heart4.gif
A
spade4.gif

CO folds, Hero raises to 975 and is all-in, SB folds, BB calls 825

Flop: (2,025) Q
spade4.gif
club4.gif
heart4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
Turn: (2,025) K
club4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: (2,025) J
heart4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 2,025 pot
Final Board: Q
spade4.gif
club4.gif
heart4.gif
K
club4.gif
J
heart4.gif

Hero showed 2
heart4.gif
A
spade4.gif
and lost (-975 net)
BB showed A
club4.gif
T
club4.gif
and won 2,025 (1,050 net)

Last edited:
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a no-brainer push with an A in this situation. And you should shove a lot more hands than that. In part, this is because most people don't call widely enough. This means you win the blinds quite often, which is a significant boost to your stack. And while you'll be well behind their range when they do call, since they fold a lot, you'll still be +EV overall

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know, the question is, wouldn't it be better to fold A2o and push with any other hand wich is less likelly to be dominated if I get called?

A2o seams like a worst hand that for example k8 in this type of situations.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know, the question is, wouldn't it be better to fold A2o and push with any other hand wich is less likelly to be dominated if I get called?

Ax has blockers to better Ax. e.g. 67s has less FE.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

But, A2o is ahead of K8. Whatever way you look at it if someone shows you K8 and pushes all in, you are sitting with A2o you have to call, If you don`t you should probably be playing another game :)

You say "push with another hand that is less likely to be dominated and you use K8 as an example. What if you push with K8 and someone turns K9/ KT/ KJ/ KQ/ KA ?

In summary, yes, push with any ace in the situation you show and you probably could raise with K8 if the table dynamics are the same

Just my opinion :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If you assume you will be called by any A, there are only 3 out when you hold 1 vs 4 out there when you have K8.

Plus A2 is ahead of unpaired non-A hands that will call, such as KQ, where K8 would be dominated.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you assume you will be called by any A, there are only 3 out when you hold 1 vs 4 out there when you have K8.

Plus A2 is ahead of unpaired non-A hands that will call, such as KQ, where K8 would be dominated.

and this ;)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta shove in that spot given your chip position and as others have said, no, I wouldn't be folding low A-x hands in favor of K-x / Q-x hands. If your villains are in any way reasonable there're probably calling with most reasonable Kx/Qx hands as well so you're still going to be dominated a chunk of the time. Plus with the Ax you're actually ahead the times they call with Kx/Qx and as has been mentioned above, you've got one blocker to the ace.

Remember too thatweak ace vs weak ace will end in a chop a decent amount of the time. So even though you may technically be dominated with A2 vs A3/4/5 it's not necessarily the end of the world for you.

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had EQUAL chips with the second and third position, I would have quickly folded because A2 is not a strong favorite over any hand, unless they also have a 2 but not a pair of them.
But being that you were on the button and short-stacked, and although it does not feel right, shoving all-in is the correct move.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely the correct call going by your position and your stack size.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your villains are in any way reasonable there're probably calling with most reasonable Kx/Qx hands as well

Are they, though? Because I see where the guy is coming from... it may actually be true that most players at the microstakes love playing with any ace, but far less combinations with K, Q and J.

That said, it shouldn't stop you from jamming here with A2 (or even calling if you had the same hand but villain's position). There's only a 22,5% chance that any of the remaining three aces ended up in either of the blinds' hands.
But it might help you, for example, open up your bluffing range on K, Q, J-high boards, if you're confident in your reads.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont get this low in chips if possible.