• Start date
B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Extremely tight passive table, I had been fairly card dead for a few orbits, which had just been about exchanging blinds anyway. Blinds just went up again two hands ago.

full tilt poker $1 + $0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t300/t600 Blinds - 6 players -
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP: t1690 2.82 BBs
CO: t4240 7.07 BBs
BTN: t1310 2.18 BBs
SB: t1480 2.47 BBs
Hero (BB): t3595 5.99 BBs
UTG: t1185 1.98 BBs

Pre Flop: (t900) Hero is BB with K :heart: 3 :diamond:
UTG raises to t1185 all in, 1 fold, CO calls t1185, 2 folds, Hero calls t585

Figured I should try to spike my king. Was pretty certain CO had a hand here (like 99+, AQo+, AJs+), so I didn't want to raise, but getting 4.5:1 thought it was worth a call. (Comments also welcome)

Flop: (t3855) Q :heart: 9 :heart: 4 :heart: (3 players - 1 is all in)
Hero ???

Just get it in here?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meh. Little FE but tons of equity, depending on how far from cashing you are, i rekon that having the CO bet or give a free card is all good, really you want him in the pot for the rest of his stack. I check flop, call any action, and shove turn if he checks. Shove is fine as well, these days though he would prob fold the 99-JJ/AJ part of his range that he might just decide to spew if you check.

Then again its ages since i played this shallow.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, fold and fold again preflop IMO for all sorts of reasons. Here's just a selection of them:

- A lot of the time we won't be good even if we do hit our king
- Even if we are good there's no guarantee we'll get paid any more
- We're in second chip position and there are four players with 3BB or less
- If we get involved in this hand it'll be against the only player at the table that can knock us out
- If we flat we'll be OOP the whole time against said player

Look for places to open shove and steal blinds (which are worth a lot now) rather than getting involved in hands like this.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the replies guys.

tenbob said:
Meh. Little FE but tons of equity, depending on how far from cashing you are, i rekon that having the CO bet or give a free card is all good, really you want him in the pot for the rest of his stack. I check flop, call any action, and shove turn if he checks. Shove is fine as well, these days though he would prob fold the 99-JJ/AJ part of his range that he might just decide to spew if you check.

Then again its ages since i played this shallow.

I ended up doing what you suggested; I checked, he jammed, I called.

Fold, fold and fold again preflop IMO for all sorts of reasons. Here's just a selection of them:

- A lot of the time we won't be good even if we do hit our king
I doubt this. Sure if an A comes along with the K, or flop comes monochrome in a suit other than hearts, I'll gladly check/fold. Otherwise I can lose to AA, AK, KK. Maybe KQ. His range is wider. Weaker kings would have folded or shoved pre.
- Even if we are good there's no guarantee we'll get paid any more
That's alright because the pot is huge as it is. And I don't think he can fold TT-QQ after waiting so long for a hand.
- We're in second chip position and there are four players with 3BB or less
This had been going on for a while because they were constantly taking each other's blinds. They were also using lots of time to decide on their actions. There had been 4 or 5 hands per blind level. If this would have gone on, we'd usually end up on the bubble with 4 more or less equal stacks of about 4 BBs each, as awkward a situation as any. A cheap chance to take the chip lead here...
- If we get involved in this hand it'll be against the only player at the table that can knock us out
- If we flat we'll be OOP the whole time against said player
I had a reasonable plan. Go broke when flopping K, check/fold when not. The above was the one scenario I didn't consider...

Look for places to open shove and steal blinds (which are worth a lot now) rather than getting involved in hands like this.
I've done this whenever possible. But since it was 6-handed (actually 7-handed up to a few hands ago), and I was having a really bad card run I decided against shoving hands like 62o in EP. If given the chance I open-shoved ATC in CO and BTN, but people were shoving a lot, limping even.

I fully see where you're coming from of course, and I can't recall having been in this situation before, so it was all a bit surreal, but I didn't feel I could pass this one up without seeing a flop.

C

ClubArrow77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold preflop here due to our stack size relative to the other players and the blinds in the game. We only have 6 BB left which means we are in full push/fold mode. We have a person shoving which means we need a decent hand to call even if villain is shoving any two cards. Then, another person calls that shove so we know that that villain must have a good hand (I would say mid to high PP or A with good kicker). That means we our K3o is no good so fold pre.

Full Flush Poker