$1.20 NLHE STT: ITM: Good shove, Bad shove?

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.20 NLHESTT: ITM: Good shove, Bad shove?

short stacked ITM on the SB. Was reviewing this game and want to know if this was a good spot to make a move. I don't remember if i had any reads on these guys as its been a few days since this tourney. But i feel like i was at the point where i needed to double up or go home.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (3 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t1515)
BB (t5645)
Button (t6340)

Hero's M: 5.05

Preflop: Hero is SB with
6h.gif
5h.gif

Button calls t200, Hero bets t1515 (All-In), 1 fold, Button calls t1315

Flop: (t3230)
3h.gif
qd.gif
kc.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t3230)
4d.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t3230)
qc.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t3230

after thinking about this hand it might not have been the best spot with UTG limping as hes prob doing that with any ace or small pp which puts me behind in the hand. But i don't know how much longer i could sit and wait with an M=5. Good shove? Or wait for better spot?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah this isn't a great shove. We still have loads of equity in the tournament, we still have time to find a better spot. Also, as you touched on briefly his range is no longer 'random' so theres a lot of broadway and Ax in his range here i presume. He's going to have to fold a ton of those hands for this to be even close to a shove.

Anyways, without going into too much detail/babble you can definately fold this, and shove wide from the button into 'random' blinds.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it folded to us we would probably be okay shoving bvb (blind-vs-blind), but with the button limping in front of us we lose a lot of our fold equity. Plus we're really not all that short, we can wait for a better spot.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea those were all the things i thought about after reviewing the hand. I guess i need to be more patient in these situations and not rush for a double up just cause im so short on chips compared to others. Now to take all this good advice to the tables.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your intuition was right when thinking about the range the bigstack was limping on... but personally I don't mind the shove here (it's not terrible or anything). And I think we are actually pretty short here (for players who are turbo regs. it probably doesn't seem short at all... 7bb).
Situtaion obviously also player read dependant - - you get ALOT of players in the super micros who are incorrectly limping a really wide range once they get a stack (I've experimented lately playing some sessions of micros but not many on Stars). So often you'll see bubble play where player in SB w decent stack will limp into your BB & snapfold to a shove (in some spots there I'm shoving atc when they limp in... again 'player dependant').

My final opinion on the hand -> you're the one on the table & you'll probably have the best idea as to whether or not it was a decent spot to shove (ie. is villain Limp/Folding frequently... are they limping in ALOT, etc.)

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with PO here. I think you're shorter than most are thinking because with your stack the other two are going to have a tough time getting all their chips in against one another with you still at the table. And about his range being more readable when he limps... I think that is the perfect time to shove hands like this. If he's doing this with KT, QJ type hands we aren't really in that bad of a spot if he calls. I think it's worth getting it in and hoping we spike a pair. If not, then we still get a third place cash. The way I look at this is we can't go backwards any further, they can. It's going to be tougher for them to make a call to your shove than we think.