$1.20 NLHE STT: HU in the short stack: shove???

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.20 NL HE STT: HU in the short stack: shove???

Im not sure if i played his heads up hand right or not and want some insight. i exchanged a chips with the villain once or twice while 3 handed. I pegged the villain for a weak aggressive player who was paying off with weak pairs. He seemed to play pretty tight when he was short stack just trying to double up but once he got a stack he was pushing chips around frequently. But anways this was probably the 5th hand HU and i was controlling the action for most of the game both 3way and HU. Ive seen him min bet and fold to flop bets several times during the tourney so i did not take his min raise as a strong bet, so i was pretty much calling with hopes of taking it down on the flop.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 300/600 Blinds 50 Ante (2 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t5710)
SB (t7790)

Hero's M: 5.71

Preflop: Hero is BB with
7d.gif
5s.gif

SB bets t1200, Hero calls t600

Flop: (t2500)
9s.gif
7s.gif
8d.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, SB bets t1200, Hero raises to t4460 (All-In), SB calls t3260

Turn: (t11420)
tc.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t11420)
2d.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t11420

Should i have reraised pre flop, shoved the flop, flat call (least of my favorite options cause then i dont know what to do come the turn), or never of even played the hand. Maybe wait for a better spot, but i was pretty short, and i had a couple good hands but he just folded the blinds over. How would you play this? im usually pretty good at HU play but lately ive had 4/4 2nd place finishes so i think its time to re-evaluate my HU play.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Effective stacks are just under 10BB so for me the decision making is all made preflop.

Preflop, folding > shoving > calling IMO. With deeper stacks a call with 75 might be OK but with short stacks it just doesn't work. 75 isn't a hand I particularly want to be called with if I shove preflop and villain is likely to call with a wide range so I probably just dump the hand preflop and see what we catch next.

As played I just donkshove the flop, hoping the villain has missed and we get to take it down.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with Oz. At this point stacks are too low to be calling raises and trying to play postflop, right now you should either be shoving or folding pre

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, we should be shoving very wide here, and calling is out of the question. However i disagree with donkshoving the flop, i want him to cbet so i like the check raise, to extract value, and if hes folding we get extra value. But yeah, we should be in this spot, it's a fold preflop, the other options arn't even valid, then we're shoving a decently wide range in the SB next hand.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good points. I find myself calling to light to see a flop with out paying attention to stack sizes. I think i was hoping a little to much to hit a hidden monster flop and double up, haha.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good points. I find myself calling to light to see a flop with out paying attention to stack sizes. I think i was hoping a little to much to hit a hidden monster flop and double up, haha.

Yah, your just way to short for any of that nonsense, your just not going to hit it often enough. Just keep the pressure on with the button and raise relentlessly, and adjust to your opponants raising/shoving range from the button, The looser he shoves the looser we can call, generally speaking.