$1.10 NLHE MTT: Set on flushy board

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain was 50 10 on just 10 hands, a small sample but they seemed out of line to me

Is it better to shove on turn or play passively and keep also their bluffs/semibluffs on the hand, and what should our river decision be?

pokerstars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 20/40 (5 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 9,660 (242 bb)
UTG+1: 2,935 (73 bb)
MP: 4,992 (125 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): 4,836 (121 bb)
CO: 3,889 (97 bb)
BU: 7,085 (177 bb)
SB: 4,924 (123 bb)
BB: 6,460 (162 bb)

Pre-Flop: (100) Hero is MP+1 with 6 6
UTG calls 40, UTG+1 raises to 240, 1 fold, Hero calls 240, 4 players fold, UTG calls 200

Flop: (820) 6 A Q (3 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 320, UTG calls 320, UTG+1 folds

Turn: (1,460) 5 (2 players)
UTG bets 730, Hero calls 730

River: (2,920) 4 (2 players)
UTG bets 8,365 (all-in), Hero calls 3,541 (all-in)

For the results oriented people they had KcTs and we won

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, here with a set on the flop IMO you should bet more, within the limit 50%-67% of a pot to protect your set, because opponent can have some combo draws, draw to flush and also to straight. Turn is not good card for you. You can play passively, because you have still outs to full house. On the another side if you feel good in tournament you can also play aggressively and you can play your set as a flush (it is kind of bluff) if you have some information about your opponent, some reads that he isn't too good. As played, river is hard decision, sometimes if I have some informations, some reads about opponent (I think that opponent isn't too good) and it seems that my set often is good here, I risk and I call the river.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think push on the turn is not a good idea. You will always get call vs better hands. This call turn is very good. River vs agro always call.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think push on the turn is not a good idea. You will always get call vs better hands. This call turn is very good. River vs agro always call.

Agree here. The river makes it a little tougher too with a straight forming, but our hand is too big to fold.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On flop you have to defend your set against draws. Bet 75% minimum or even overbet if opps is loose.
On turn call with iintention to catch FH.
On river call only if we have good reads opp could bluff.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For my well played in the pre-flop in the flop maybe you had to make a bet a little bigger, on the turn I would have raised that bet and I say this because you proved to have a very good reading of the opponent since you made call in the river, this is the way I would have played this hand I don't want to say with this that it is the right way to play it I think you played it very well I would have done a little different things especially in the flop and the turn

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I lean towards a fold here. You are basically trying to setmine, and you are facing a very large 6X open from someone, who only started with 73BB, so he dont really have enough left behind to give you the implied odds, you need. The limper has you covered, which is good, but we can not be sure, he is always coming along.

Flop
Hit the set. Sweet. Bummer that nobody bet, but then you just have to build the pot yourself. As someone already set, go a little larger here. Maybe 500 into the 820 pot, not just 320.

Turn
Flush got there, and now the fish donk lead into us. He is saying, he has a flush, so per definition your hand is now a bluff catcher and a draw, and it makes no sense raising. You obviously can not fold either, so only option left is to call.

River
You brick, and now the fish overbet the pot and put you all in. Lovely spot! Sure he could be bluffing or overplaying two pair, but I am not sure, this is a profitable call in the long run against the population in a 1,1$ MTT. So without a very specific read I probably fold this.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
I lean towards a fold here. You are basically trying to setmine, and you are facing a very large 6X open from someone, who only started with 73BB, so he dont really have enough left behind to give you the implied odds, you need. The limper has you covered, which is good, but we can not be sure, he is always coming along.

Flop
Hit the set. Sweet. Bummer that nobody bet, but then you just have to build the pot yourself. As someone already set, go a little larger here. Maybe 500 into the 820 pot, not just 320.

Turn
Flush got there, and now the fish donk lead into us. He is saying, he has a flush, so per definition your hand is now a bluff catcher and a draw, and it makes no sense raising. You obviously can not fold either, so only option left is to call.

River
You brick, and now the fish overbet the pot and put you all in. Lovely spot! Sure he could be bluffing or overplaying two pair, but I am not sure, this is a profitable call in the long run against the population in a 1,1$ MTT. So without a very specific read I probably fold this.

Love everything about this explanation and cannot have said it better myself.

Except for the river - that is where fundiver and I disagree. We hit a strong hand on the flop - bet sizing is too small as stated - then our opponent leads when the flush comes in - then our opponent jams river. I just dont think a flush does this alot and when I flop a set you are just going to have to show it to me! Rebuy table 6! The line the player takes throws up a huge red flag for me - so I would snap call here. If I lose, it's fine. Its why I practice good bankroll management

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love everything about this explanation and cannot have said it better myself.

Except for the river - that is where fundiver and I disagree. We hit a strong hand on the flop - bet sizing is too small as stated - then our opponent leads when the flush comes in - then our opponent jams river. I just dont think a flush does this alot and when I flop a set you are just going to have to show it to me! Rebuy table 6! The line the player takes throws up a huge red flag for me - so I would snap call here. If I lose, it's fine. Its why I practice good bankroll management

There are different ways to approach the situation on the river. We can use game theory and try to determine our MDF (Minimum Defense Frequenzy). Using this approach 66 is probably a call, because other than a flush this is the strongest hand, we can even have. We probably 3-bet AA and QQ. It is close though, because we are getting a bad price, so we can actually fold a lot. We also have no relevant blockers, so it could be argued, that it is better to call with a hand like AQ with the Q of spades.

The other approach is the exploitative one, and I have already said, that I think, the general population in the micros is underbluffing in a spot like this. Sure he seem like a fish, but this also mean, he can have a lot of suited junk, which unfortunately made a flush.

Not saying that I always fold this in real time. Sometimes I will call because of a read or honestly because of tilt. I will say though, that especially in cash games, you will make your life easier and probably also more profitable, if you generally fold in spots like this. It will reduce your variance and help keep you away from both tilt and your stop loss. Folding sucks, but it sucks even more to get drawn out on and then pay off in a massive way.

Maybe this is less of an issue in tournaments though, because each buyin should be for a smaller percentage of your bankroll. So especially if this tournament allow rebuy or reentry, yeah maybe just pay the man his chips and fire another bullet, if he has it this time.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop
Bet bigger on flop
Turn fine
River fine.

I would also call all day here. Random people doing random stuff. Openlimp UTG could be any suited ace. So it’s good that the flush on board is ace high

Full Flush Poker