MP - MP (T94,275)
MP2 - Hero (T59,878)
CO - CO (T58,966)
BTN - BTN (T44,408)
SB - SB (T69,119)
BB - BB (T58,722)

Preflop: (T13,800, 8 players) Hero is MP2 with :7d4: :ad4:
3 folds, Hero???

My M was getting a little scary low here, so wasn't sure if shoving was appropriate or not? Or if people want to share their MTT shove-strategies in general that'd be helpful too.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its close, i am shoving here i think

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who are the stats for? The BB?

I'd wait for a different hand. I probably would have shoved a better hand earlier too, but maybe you didn't have that option. There are 4 people ahead of you and three of them have less chips, they will call with a wide range of hands I think, but definitely hands like QT and all A7+ hands. I don't know what the payouts per place are, but you could probably find a better spot and someone else will likely do something like you are proposing here so maybe you can get up to 5th or 6th which I'm guessing is a lot more money. Oh, wait, so there are only 8 people left right? Or are there 16 or 24 or something?

I really need more info to try to help you. What are the payouts? And how many people are left? And what are the stats of the next 4 people to act?

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what the payouts per place are, but you could probably find a better spot and someone else will likely do something like you are proposing here so maybe you can get up to 5th or 6th which I'm guessing is a lot more money

depends if your just trying to ladder up, if thats the case, its a obvious fold

as for people calling you wide? why would they call you wide? its for there tournaments lives

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oops, realized putting stats up didn't make sense here... Anyway, I shoved...

This wasn't the final table, sorry if that was confusing (the table just wasn't full, due to movement of players etc). Wasn't in the money yet, and although I don't remember how close it was I can say that 95% of the time I'm not able to fold into the money. Would have been close-ish but not close enough. I was getting pretty card-dead at that point, making the A high and suitedness look even better. My raises had seen a lot of respect at this table the few times I got cards worth doing anything with, so I was hopeful.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer shipping to folding. A7o I'd' fold. Extra equity you pick up by being suited makes it a shove imo.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
was about to say this might not be the final table, I shove but I'm super impatient.

you've got some equity against stronger hands and the tournaments pretty small so you can get called by a lot worse, I ship.

edit: Blue lol, 3%?

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many runners entered, how many are left, when's the bubble, what are the people behind you like in general, are there any ante's in play?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I don't hate shoving or folding here but the extra equity pushes me towards shoving, I think the suited is enough to make this a shove.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as for people calling you wide? why would they call you wide? its for there tournaments lives

Because everyone left to act is shortstacked with less than 10BB and they know that someone might steal. If it is outside of the money then I think all of these people should have been AI already and I don't know what everyone is waiting for.

Again, we need more of the situation to know what to do. Maybe the next person out is the bubble boy.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
was about to say this might not be the final table, I shove but I'm super impatient.

you've got some equity against stronger hands and the tournaments pretty small so you can get called by a lot worse, I ship.

edit: Blue lol, 3%?

3% is pretty huge

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3% is pretty huge

This. But I'm not so sure shoving A7o is wrong here either... the suited A7 just makes it an easier decision IMO.

Anyway, random update... Idk if anyone here has followed any of my other threads, but I had been getting faaaairly discouraged about poker (mostly in the cash games). Tonight I played 5 MTTs, cashed in 4 of them, and had my biggest MTT cash ever. It was one of the absurd Lock Poker ones with $1.10 BI but unlimited rebuys until the first break (which was 90 minutes in) and late registration to boot. I went into the first break in 5th place out of 300 remaining (671 total in the field). Had my fair share of lucky coinflips for sure, but felt really good about my play pretty much throughout.

Ended up making a solid $25 to make up for a lot of my losses in the cash games. But I almost always find myself disappointed with where I place in MTTs... Maybe because it almost always ends up as a crap shoot, but I always feel like I "should have done better." Anyone else get that sometimes?

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oops, realized putting stats up didn't make sense here... Anyway, I shoved...

This wasn't the final table, sorry if that was confusing (the table just wasn't full, due to movement of players etc). Wasn't in the money yet, and although I don't remember how close it was I can say that 95% of the time I'm not able to fold into the money. Would have been close-ish but not close enough. I was getting pretty card-dead at that point, making the A high and suitedness look even better. My raises had seen a lot of respect at this table the few times I got cards worth doing anything with, so I was hopeful.

gratz on the good result mate,

but no more talk of "I'm not able to fold into the money" no no no, never think about this

well there is one time, if you have just been crippled and left with 1-3bbs and its right on the bubble in a mtt you could just get the money then shove, but no more talk of limping into the money!

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because everyone left to act is shortstacked with less than 10BB and they know that someone might steal. If it is outside of the money then I think all of these people should have been AI already and I don't know what everyone is waiting for.

Again, we need more of the situation to know what to do. Maybe the next person out is the bubble boy.

if the next person out is the bubble boy, that just means its a even better situation, your shoving from mid posistion so it looks less like a steal, no one is going to call light because they would be out if wrong, thats why shoving is good imo

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gratz on the good result mate,

but no more talk of "I'm not able to fold into the money" no no no, never think about this

well there is one time, if you have just been crippled and left with 1-3bbs and its right on the bubble in a mtt you could just get the money then shove, but no more talk of limping into the money!

I meant that more as saying that the situation you mentioned is NOT happening. There is no sense at all in attempting to fold to the money because it was too far away. But I understand what you're saying about not having that mentality ever, and I agree 100%, but I definitely do it once in a while ^.^: Although that's pretty much just when super short-stacked. Also, 1-3bb usually means that antes have a chance to take me out before bubble play is over.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not read everything but I guess you had folded for a while now? Than it is an easy shove for me.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not read everything but I guess you had folded for a while now? Than it is an easy shove for me.

Yep - I had been doing my fair share of folding. Actually a lot more than my fair share :D