$1.10 NLHE MTT: Pocket pair on a paired board and an undercard: multiway

C

CampaLoa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ran into this difficult spot for me, after I limped with fives (which i did to get more limpers and getting payed off big if i hit a set). Lots of limpers indeed and the flop wasn't even that bad. I opt to check-call to keep the pot small on the flop and see what happened on the turn and how many people smoothcalled.

I checked the turn again and was ready to fold to a bet. I was being checked behind though, so i thought i was kinda good, or he might put me on a 9. The river was another bad card for me, but i made kind of a deffensive bet. The purpose was to see a cheap showdown and not facing a difficult decision, when i checked and he bet half the pot (then i most likely would have folded). Also if he raised the river i would have folded.

This really feels like a donkey play, is it?

poker stars $1.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds - 9 players - View hand 1321090
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: t5213 26.07 BBs
BTN: t10137 50.69 BBs
SB: t9525 47.62 BBs
BB: t12845 64.22 BBs
UTG: t7725 38.62 BBs
Hero (UTG+1): t4290 21.45 BBs
UTG+2: t6449 32.24 BBs
MP1: t7573 37.87 BBs
MP2: t1230 6.15 BBs

Pre Flop: (t300) Hero is UTG+1 with 5 :club: 5 :spade:
1 fold, Hero calls t200, 1 fold, MP1 calls t200, 1 fold, CO calls t200, 1 fold, SB calls t100, BB checks

Flop: (t1000) 4 :diamond: 9 :club: 9 :diamond: (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO bets t735, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t735, MP1 folds

Turn: (t2470) K :spade: (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (t2470) T :heart: (2 players)
Hero bets t400, CO folds

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Might be nitty but i'd just fold the flop. Any card is a scare card and you could already be beaten as it's a pretty strong bet from CO.

T

tia5am1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i'd still openraise it small preflop and fold to a 3bet.
ur openlimping it because of ur stacksize imo. so when someone raises to 800, what do u do?
openlimping isn't good.

as played u could bet/fold the flop.
CO can bet a pretty wide range there, some FD/OC, other pocketpairs, any 4 or 9 combo. when everybody limps and checks the flop he can also try to steal the pot with pure air, as he is in position.

u both play weird lines here :D

i don't like the weak bet on the river. u have showdown value and could check it down.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ran into this difficult spot for me, after I limped with fives (which i did to get more limpers and getting payed off big if i hit a set).

You set out to set-mine and didn't hit you're set, fold.

Usually I'd be folding these small PP in EP but table dynamics can change the play. You're read appears to have been that 1) you'd not see a raise after you limped & 2) if you raise from EP you'd have multiple callers. With this read limping the small PP to set-mine is OK. But when the flop doesn't co-operate with your plan, you have to have the discipline to follow thru and fold.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
River was another bad card for you? Pretty much every card in the deck is a bad card for you...

Fold pre

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i think i'd still openraise it small preflop and fold to a 3bet.
ur openlimping it because of ur stacksize imo. so when someone raises to 800, what do u do?
openlimping isn't good.

as played u could bet/fold the flop.
CO can bet a pretty wide range there, some FD/OC, other pocketpairs, any 4 or 9 combo. when everybody limps and checks the flop he can also try to steal the pot with pure air, as he is in position.

u both play weird lines here :D

i don't like the weak bet on the river. u have showdown value and could check it down.
Good answer here imo (at least this is how I'd likely play it as well... folding pre is ok too).
Hint (tip of the day): with a stack of that size (15-22bb) you should be looking more for spots where you're raising with intentions of 'not folding' if you're played back at. Better yet, look for spots where you can re-steal shove over top of aggress. late position players (ones who are raising to steal the blinds often... especially if you're finding it difficult to find spots where you're able to open-raise/steal blinds).
It also depends on the table you're on - on a table with aggress. players you never want to be open-limping a low pp as you'll just be spewing chips once it's raised (& hopefully you'll be folding because you won't have the implied odds to set mine & you'll be out of position).
Goal (another tip): try to avoid getting yourself into spots where you'll be needing to make difficult decisions (ie. calling a large c-bet on a 994 flop in a multi-way pot for 15-20% of your stack, where there'll be zero turn cards you'll feel comfortable with (unless you figure villain will be folding when you bet a scare card... but really what card would be a scare card if you've limped in pre?)

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to turn your hand into a bluff, the turn is your nut card to bluff.