$1.10 NLHE MTT: limped pot multiway with top pair weak kicker on the BB

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel raising over limpers is too weird here with A7o and players that play this weak (limping instead of raising) don't show that much aggresion for 3 streets, so most likely my A is defeated, right? for example I've seen limping players check their sets once the board has 3 cards of the same suit. What do you folks think about turn call? about flop call? is it too much to check raise or bet myself on the flop?

pokerstars - 60/120 Ante 15 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

MP+1: 8,693 (72.4 bb)
MP+2: 2,514 (21 bb)
CO: 5,710 (47.6 bb)
BTN: 10,222 (85.2 bb)
SB: 3,416 (28.5 bb)
Hero (BB): 8,301 (69.2 bb)
UTG: 3,000 (25 bb)
UTG+1: 17,864 (148.9 bb)
MP: 6,444 (53.7 bb)

9 players post ante of 15, SB posts 60, Hero posts BB 120

Pre Flop: (pot: 315) Hero has :7s4: :ad4:
UTG calls 120, UTG+1 calls 120, 6 folds, Hero checks

Flop: (555, 3 players) :as4: :8c4: :kd4:
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 278, Hero calls 278, fold

Turn: (1,111, 2 players) :4s4:
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 556, Hero calls 556

River: (2,223, 2 players) :2d4:
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 1,112, Hero folds

Results: 2,223 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :as4: :8c4: :kd4: :4s4: :2d4:

UTG+1 wins 2,223

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In limped pots I tend to lead out top pair combos on some frequency while check raising them some other portions of the time. The point is we get a lot of honest responses from villans and often don't end up facing triple offs like we do here. As played, I would have to imagine the fold is correct. Don't know what our villan would triple barrel us with that we beat. After ck/calling two streets they should be checking back alot of Ax on the river themselves so this is a tough one.

The fact that our villan closes the action makes me inclined to want to check/raise top pair here and when called then I am trying to get to showdown cheaply and folding to any large bets of aggressive intent on the river. The flop is very dry and villans should not be floating us with a ton of Kx so the ck/raise also kind of forces our villan to have an Ax or not much else and it then allows us to navigate the hand more comfortably

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel raising over limpers is too weird here with A7o and players that play this weak (limping instead of raising) don't show that much aggresion for 3 streets, so most likely my A is defeated, right? for example I've seen limping players check their sets once the board has 3 cards of the same suit. What do you folks think about turn call? about flop call? is it too much to check raise or bet myself on the flop?

PokerStars - 60/120 Ante 15 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

MP+1: 8,693 (72.4 bb)
MP+2: 2,514 (21 bb)
CO: 5,710 (47.6 bb)
BTN: 10,222 (85.2 bb)
SB: 3,416 (28.5 bb)
Hero (BB): 8,301 (69.2 bb)
UTG: 3,000 (25 bb)
UTG+1: 17,864 (148.9 bb)
MP: 6,444 (53.7 bb)

9 players post ante of 15, SB posts 60, Hero posts BB 120

Pre Flop: (pot: 315) Hero has :7s4: :ad4:
UTG calls 120, UTG+1 calls 120, 6 folds, Hero checks

Flop: (555, 3 players) :as4: :8c4: :kd4:
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 278, Hero calls 278, fold

Turn: (1,111, 2 players) :4s4:
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 556, Hero calls 556

River: (2,223, 2 players) :2d4:
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 1,112, Hero folds

Results: 2,223 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :as4: :8c4: :kd4: :4s4: :2d4:

UTG+1 wins 2,223

Thank U 4 posting

Your thinking is correct that raising A7 is bad in this spot preflop for the reasons you stated. However we have to be sure that the fold to aggression frequency is what you think it is. As well as the range of our V’s including big Ax’s for a limp in early position. Often we over estimate how sticky players are as we see so many call downs in low stakes and we are fearful of limping ranges but we can overcome that fear by being able to fold post flop.

We have 69bb so we could raise preflop here to 6 then bet the flop 3/4 pot and then shut down if called. We can then try to check down or fold to a value bet. That depends on how likely our V will be aggressive on the turn and river with a hand worse than A7

On the flop in a limped pot we should be trying to take the pot. We can donk lead -fold to a raise or check raise check down unless we know our V only bets the A then we can call flop fold turn as we are now only beating A6 A5 A3 and 2 of those hands have straight draws

My point is It is best to stay aggressive on all streets if you can make good folds by knowing your V’s post flop aggression level and ranges. Losing 15bb when you have 69bb is the way to play to try to make final tables. Which is our goal not min cashes. Do not fear losing chips by being aggressive.

Hope this helps
:):)

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that we can play in this situation on two ways. First option is playing this hand like hero. We can see the flop for free. On the flop we have top pair with weak kicker, but I think that OOP we should call the flop and call the turn and we should try to see cheaply the showdown. I don't prefer raising pre flop in limped pot OOP with weak ace, because we can have some problem on every street OOP. On the river I play fold like hero. It seems that opponent also have top pair. Opponent don't show any weakness on every street. If he would have something worse than top pair he probably plays check on the turn, because of high card on the flop like ace. Second option in this situation is playing bet on the flop and on the turn as a first. If opponent will raise us on the flop or on the turn, we will have clear fold, because then our top pair is probably too weak. GL :)

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why did you call the flop and turn if you did not plan to call the river? Were you hoping for another A or a 7? odds were about the same as an inside straight.

The villain has the chip lead for a reason. He was willing to fire three guns with Ax, while you folded after giving him several blinds. He easily could have had you beat (or not), but he took the aggressive route while you went passive. Aggression usually wins.

My play would have been to either donk small or fold to a raise on the flop. A7o is not a really good hand in 9 player.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Checking your option in the BB seems correct to me here since a correct raise size would need to be large and we then would be bloating the pot OOP with a very marginal hand. Checking behind is safer and makes life easier (which I know we should not always be trying to do but in this case it makes sense).

I would prefer leading the on the flop here since it is a limped pot and we have top pair. I would much rather try to take control of this pot instead of sitting back and letting someone else dictate the action. Much easier to pot control if we take the lead even if we are out of position. As played I would also call behind as you did as I believe their range would be Ax and Kx heavy. Many Ax have us and if we check raise I believe a Kx folds and we lose value.

On the turn I think you have tougher decision here then you might have thought at the time (I'm just guessing on that). I don't think a Kx that isnt two pair would double barrel here so I would remove that from their range and strictly put them on Ax. All Ax beat us now except A2, A3, A5, and A6. Thats a pretty small range of cards and I would highly consider folding. I am not sure in the moment I would have folded but there really isnt much we beat given villains actions.

On the river its definitely a clear fold to me now that one hand (A2) from the turn range that we beat is now beating us and villain triple barreled with sizing that was consistent at a half pot each street. We only beat A3, A5, and A6 now and unless you have some info on him that he is capable of triple barrel bluffing then its a clear fold.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
você pode usar o replayer manual do cardchat, mais prático, assim como copiar as informações de texto do mao e colar no campo do replayer manual.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always treat Ace rag with caution, it will give you problems on every street.

In the end I might have gave in, to some extent its opponent specific because few will barrel a bluff or low pair all the way.