$1.10 NLHE MTT: how should I play my combo draw on the flop IP?

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not so sure about the raise and I think the shove on the turn isn't that good either. I like to flat with hands like that on late position when the table is soft.

pokerstars - 20/40 Ante 5 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

SB: 5,473 (136.8 bb)
BB: 2,945 (73.6 bb)
UTG: 3,148 (78.7 bb)
UTG+1: 3,075 (76.9 bb)
MP: 2,819 (70.5 bb)
MP+1: 3,975 (99.4 bb)
MP+2: 4,745 (118.6 bb)
CO: 3,000 (75 bb)
Hero (BTN): 2,823 (70.6 bb)

9 players post ante of 5, SB posts 20, BB posts 40

Pre Flop: (pot: 105) Hero has :10c4: :qc4:
UTG raises to 80, 3 folds, MP+2 calls 80, CO calls 80, Hero calls 80, SB calls 60, BB calls 40

Flop: (525, 6 players) :jc4: :qd4: :9c4:
SB bets 80, fold, UTG raises to 160, MP+2 calls 160, fold, Hero raises to 720, fold, UTG calls 560, fold

Turn: (2,205, 2 players) :10d4:
UTG checks, Hero bets 2,018 and is all-in, UTG calls 2,018

River: (6,241, 2 players) :as4:

Results: 6,241 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :jc4: :qd4: :9c4: :10d4: :as4:

UTG shows :8c4: :ac4:: (Straight, Queen High)
(Pre 58%, Flop 42%, Turn 85%)

Hero shows :10c4: :qc4:: (Two Pair, Queens and Tens)
(Pre 42%, Flop 58%, Turn 15%)

UTG wins 6,241

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We enter the pot with a drawing hand, we want to draw-out not to chase all customers on the flop. The villains continued with a good hand, like ours, but he may fold all the weak ones so when we show that much aggression, we lose money. With a top pair weak kicker and a draw with don't want to lead if the villain is building the pot already so we should just call the flop.

Turn gives us 2 pairs but now Kx got there and we don't have the Ac. In this spot our hand is a good one but not a strong one so we don't put it all in when we are deep stacked. Also the board structure doesn't favor a TPTK on the villain side so again, why bombing the customer away? Depending on the villain line and the pot odds we're given we could also consider a fold on the turn.

River depends on what villains has done and what odds we're given. When he has the nuts he might go all-in sometimes, but a balanced villain will just try to extract max from us. This time he didn't have the nuts so he might go all-in more often, allowing us to fold and get away. It's all about the odds we're given

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
UTG played this hand very good. Did you wonder what (s)he was holding when he re-raised on the flop? Six players saw this flop, so it was likely others were chasing better straights and/or flushes. Once the turn came, there is no way I am betting, and I am praying for a FH on the river.

Had the same hand been against one (or maybe two) villain, then I probably would have also re-raised the flop.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, pre flop is standard for me, I also call Qts from the late positions, because with suited connector hand I want to hit some draws on the flop. I don't raise on the flop with our combo draws. In this situation 6 players with you saw the flop. On the turn I prefer playing check, because of possible straight. So I want to see free river card. If river doesn't help and we won't catch a flush I probably give up our hand. I know that two pair looks good, but after the turn card I prefer playing check to control the pot, because of straight. Usually opponent will have straight on that board and I think that on the turn it is time to slow down and on the river it is time to give up our hand.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When we have a decent made hand + a draw, it is often most correct to play it for pot control and showdown value. And in this case that would mean just calling on the flop. Its difficult to fold out better hands, when we already have top pair, and our hand is not strong enough, that we benefit from bloating the pot just yet.

Turn is kind of the same story. Now we have two pair, but any K or 8 has a straight. So we are still in that kind of limbo, where its difficult to fold out better hands, and it is also difficult to get called by worse. The best play therefore is to check back and then make a decision on the river. In this case a fairly trivial fold, if we face a substantial bet.

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reraise on the flop was the big mistake. We're not folding an up and down straight flush draw plus top pair at that stage, so call. Turn gives us two pairs, so still enough outs to call if the raise from UTG isn't too large. Assuming the others have folded by now, if you call a small raise from UTG on the turn he's likely getting worried. Without a K he's probably thinking he's behind at the river, and his small bet or check at that stage gives us a good opportunity to bluff.