$1.10 NLHE MTT: Haha I Has Some Aces... Do I Fold This SICK Turn?

• Thread starter Creepy Jackalope
  • Start date
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small point to clarify here... he didn't shove with the nuts.

He shoved the turn card. All he had was a straight at that point.

He had a 1 outer vs. my quads at that point.
I realize he didn't have the royal. But I was replying to the question "why would the BB donk out 3x pot here with a Royal?" by suggesting why he might.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is always a call here, if you fold it would be such a strange thing :D

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ignoring how the hand played out, YOU should be honored to have been in a hand Royal vs Quads.

This was the ultimate example of Fancy Play Syndrome.

Creepy Jackalope

Creepy Jackalope

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ignoring how the hand played out, YOU should be honored to have been in a hand Royal vs Quads.

This was the ultimate example of Fancy Play Syndrome.

It is fun to have a loss with Quad Aces under my belt...

As for Fancy Play Syndrome.. not sure if you're referring to me or him?

From my point of view.. checking that flop was the best chance for action. Gotta let him hit something...

If you can't slow play quad Aces then what can you slow play with?? lol.

Sick turn though. Worse river obviously..

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You suffered the FPS here, but everyone who played that would have probably done the same thing, so it was not a knock. Villain was coming along with anything bigger than a min bet on the flop. It is almost surprising he didn't min bet that turn.

This was the absolutely most honorable loss that can be had in poker except maybe the idiot end of a Straight Flush losing to a higher Straight Flush. But this was better for bragging rights....;)

gtothec

gtothec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree with fancy play syndrome. U slow played quad aces and got outdrawn by a 1 outer!
If there was no check on the flop which,as I see it, is the only possible "fancy play" then the hand hand would be dead by the turn and abso none of the equity in having quad aces would be realized by showdown!
Very unlucky river though.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree with fancy play syndrome. U slow played quad aces and got outdrawn by a 1 outer!
If there was no check on the flop which,as I see it, is the only possible "fancy play" then the hand hand would be dead by the turn and abso none of the equity in having quad aces would be realized by showdown!
Very unlucky river though.

That is an almost perfect definition of FPS.

elements of FPS-
1-you flop the nuts
2-you believe if you bet everyone will fold
3-you pray someone will catch something and bet into you
4-someone does catch
5-they hit that 1 outer
6 we commit hari kari.

Creepy Jackalope

Creepy Jackalope

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is an almost perfect definition of FPS.

elements of FPS-
1-you flop the nuts
2-you believe if you bet everyone will fold
3-you pray someone will catch something and bet into you
4-someone does catch
5-they hit that 1 outer
6 we commit hari kari.

Yes, but as I said earlier.. if there is one hand you should be safe to slow play, it's quad Aces.

And it isn't a one outer. It was on the turn, but on the river he needed EXACTLY those two cards to fall. So my flop check was pretty safe. The odds of the turn and river being exactly what they ended up being had to be pretty insane.

Calling that flop check FPS is also a little crazy I think. I don't think it's fancy to check 1 street with a hand as hard to crack as AAAA hoping that the other guy can hit something.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was a 1 outer in the end. You were not worried by the str8, nor the flush.

I'm not knocking you at all, I think 99.99999% of reasonably knowledgeable players would have played it the same, but it was an FPS burn in the end. The guaranteed way to win the pot is to play it straight forward and bet large on that flop. But there is no value in that, so we all bring in that fancy play.

Bigger bummer might have been that in most cases that hand doesn't qualify as a bad beat because villain only used one hole cad, most bad beat prizes require both hole cards be used.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bigger bummer might have been that in most cases that hand doesn't qualify as a bad beat because villain only used one hole cad, most bad beat prizes require both hole cards be used.

Not only that but most places only offer the bad beat in a cash game scenario. Basically you got a bad beat story with nothing to show for it.

Folding in Poker