$1.10 NLHE MTT: Flop a straight on all diamond board...how to bet?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
early on in the tourney I have a stack of about 1450,started with 1500. Everybody at my table has roughly 1500 give or take 100.

Blinds are still 10/20 and 4 people limp into my BB I have 3d6c so I check my option. 5 of us see a flop, pot contains 100.

flop comes 245 all diamonds. SO i've flopped the nut straight on a very dangerous board. I do have 1 diamond which actually gives me the straightflush re-draw.

The SB checks to me. What should I do? I decide to go for the check raise, because if I bet out I'll get flat called by pretty much anyone with a high diamond and i'll be out of position to boot. With 3 others left to act I'm hoping somebody will put in a bet.

Folds to the button he bets the pot, so he bets 100 into 100.
SB folds.
I check raise to 325.

everyone folds.

Should I have just called the flop bet and hoped for no more diamonds?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure if I want raise on the flop. Opponent can have FD or flush on the flop. With FD I'm sure he calls your raise, because ha has about 36% to win on the flop.
So better for me check/call and see next card. If turn isn't diamond, you can check/raise or play donkbet - lets say about 1/2 pot. On the turn he has only about 20% to win this hand if he has FD. So he has to risk more.

Last edited:
M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have flopped a very strong hand on a dangerous board. Here I would bet the pot or a little bit more in order to not give the odds to the villian if he has a flush draw, if he reraises, he obviously has the draw. Or you can play it passively, but you would give him free cards if he has the flush draw

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lead out on the flop. This is a limped multiway pot and by checkraising this big in a 5-way pot you're showing a lot of strength and you'll probably only get called by better (i.e flush) and you're folding out pretty much all draws, especially flushdraws and you want them to call in this spot (since you hold one of their outs, and two of them- Ad and 6d would give you the absolute nuts, so that basically leaves them with only 6 outs and you definitely want them to call in this spot). Leading out (big) disguises your hand strength and keeps your opponents guessing, which can result in them calling you with wider range of hands. ;)

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guys, opponent can have 8d7d :D so 6d isn't the best card here.

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lead out on the flop. This is a limped multiway pot and by checkraising this big in a 5-way pot you're showing a lot of strength and you'll probably only get called by better (i.e flush) and you're folding out pretty much all draws, especially flushdraws and you want them to call in this spot (since you hold one of their outs, and two of them- Ad and 6d would give you the absolute nuts, so that basically leaves them with only 6 outs and you definitely want them to call in this spot). Leading out (big) disguises your hand strength and keeps your opponents guessing, which can result in them calling you with wider range of hands. ;)
this ainec.

Lead out to build the pot, u still get called by some draw without give them the free cards. Leading flop might make more than one villain call. That's mean u extract more value (u still get called by draw, pp and rdm sh*t)
Think that, hands which might call flop are more likely to fold a turn bet than a flop bet-

As said a c/r flop on wet board shows too much strength. But it's not that bad exept for the risk that u could be checked behind

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this ainec.

Lead out to build the pot, u still get called by some draw without give them the free cards. Leading flop might make more than one villain call. That's mean u extract more value (u still get called by draw, pp and rdm sh*t)
Think that, hands which might call flop are more likely to fold a turn bet than a flop bet-

As said a c/r flop on wet board shows too much strength. But it's not that bad exept for the risk that u could be checked behind

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
early on in the tourney I have a stack of about 1450,started with 1500. Everybody at my table has roughly 1500 give or take 100.

Blinds are still 10/20 and 4 people limp into my BB I have 3d6c so I check my option. 5 of us see a flop, pot contains 100.

flop comes 245 all diamonds. SO i've flopped the nut straight on a very dangerous board. I do have 1 diamond which actually gives me the straightflush re-draw.

The SB checks to me. What should I do? I decide to go for the check raise, because if I bet out I'll get flat called by pretty much anyone with a high diamond and i'll be out of position to boot. With 3 others left to act I'm hoping somebody will put in a bet.

SB folds.
I check raise to 325.

everyone folds.

Based on his/her posts her AvaloNNN seems to be a solid player that gives good advice. His/her advice here might be good, too.

Having said that, I would have played the hand exactly how you did. You're penalizing flush chasers with your flop raise and if you get re-raised there you have a chance to get away without getting stacked (if your opponent has a made flush or a huge draw).

I don't think either way is wrong, but I prefer the way that you played it.

Good luck.

-HooDooKoo

I

Izandurrrrrr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This early in a tourny I would probably check call the flop and lead on a safe turn card

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

SB folds.
I check raise to 325.

everyone folds.

Both check raise and call are ok at this situation IMO. It seems that he just wanted to take the pot with a big bet. But you get called often by overpairs, sets, 2 pairs, flush draws at this level. So it's ok. :)

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intresting situation which we come across often...
I would post a 3xpot ie 300 at post flop(i wouldnt bank on getting a straight flush) and tease others to catch a straight...
If the turn is a diamond, i would check it and see the opponents play...if he raises less than 3/4th the pot i would give a call and anything more, i would fold....
If the turn is not a diamond, then i would push the opponents to a pot bet post flop....

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like your bet. you can almost put him on the draw there so u at least know where hes at. I think if he has small flush he pushes so if jujst calls hes on the draw. unless he flop nut flush witch seems unlikley here. and if hes on the draw nows where you can get money out of him .