$1.10 NLHE MTT: 6-max bad pre-flop. Didn't really know what to do

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing to suggest villian is loose or raising utg light, not seen him do many late raises either so quite tight. He's russian so we can probably widen his range abit too include some badly played hands. Average stack 5000ish. Pre-flop my thinking was pray for a set, I had no plan B. Should I be raising here? Also what do I do if raise and get shoved on? Been playing nearly exclusively HU recently so I'm rusty in this sort of spot.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP) (t7580)
CO (t5600)
Button (t1505)
SB (t5350)
BB (t11796)
UTG (t5761)

Hero's M: 63.17

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9
club.gif
, 9
heart.gif

UTG bets t240, Hero calls t240, 1 fold, Button calls t240, 2 folds

Flop: (t840) J
heart.gif
, Q
spade.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(3 players)
UTG bets t400, Hero folds, 1 fold

Total pot: t840

Results:
UTG didn't show
Outcome: UTG won t840

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine/standard.

I'd get fancy postflop with AK in this spot but you're barely ahead of a straight draw and I don't expect Russians UTG to fold too much.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok cheers, felt like I maybe should be 3-betting it. Flop was just an obivous give it up with 99.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have no problem walking away from this.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this spot with these stacks I'd probably only 3-bet KK/AA and I would slowplay those on occasion if the table were squeezy.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Walk away pre potluck?

Would you not 3-bet QQ/ AK for value?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would not 3-bet QQ/AK vs. UTG who has not been out of line in this spot. Maybe if we were OTB.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No! post never pre (well it depends....). In MP against early position aggressive raise post with 1 to act behind, no problem to fold after description of raiser.

Ah I see, question was should he 3bet EP raiser, yeah in this position I want to limit field with 4 to act behind.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No! post never pre (well it depends....). In MP against early position aggressive raise post with 1 to act behind, no problem to fold after description of raiser.

Ah I see, question was should he 3bet EP raiser, yeah in this position I want to limit field with 4 to act behind.

Wouldn't we want as many people to the flop as we can as we're set mining and only set mining. If we 3-bet it puts us in the shit spot of getting 4-bet shoved on.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would not 3-bet QQ/AK vs. UTG who has not been out of line in this spot. Maybe if we were OTB.

6-max we don't raise queens from UTG raiser? surely we're hoping to get it in against anybody who we have only played 50 or so hands with so don't really know their shoving range. I think he has enough bad stuff in his range to justify 3-betting for value and if he does 4-bet shove I'd still be pretty confident we had more equity than him.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand.

I don't think I'm folding the flop bet though and giving up here. Perfect board for him to barrel on. he also could of hit but you have position, I think flat calling seeing a turn card and seeing how he reacts.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-max we don't raise queens from UTG raiser? surely we're hoping to get it in against anybody who we have only played 50 or so hands with so don't really know their shoving range. I think he has enough bad stuff in his range to justify 3-betting for value and if he does 4-bet shove I'd still

I would call pre. The benefit of having position vs. a tight range is that you can play without the illusion of having iniative.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand.

I don't think I'm folding the flop bet though and giving up here. Perfect board for him to barrel on. he also could of hit but you have position, I think flat calling seeing a turn card and seeing how he reacts.

You think he's bluffing with a bet that pot-commits him vs. idiot button?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You think he's bluffing with a bet that pot-commits him vs. idiot button?

To be honest, I didn't even look at the buttons chip stack. I guess a fold now if the button is last to act, the thing is though - do you think most think on a level in a $1.00 of "If I bet 400 here, we commit button"

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter because if we call, we're committed vs. button, too.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluenowhere; Yeah we are set mining and 99 can't stand 4bet, still EP raiser is talking over pair or big slick, if we assume that he has some idea what he's doing then why doesn't he shove with AA or KK UTG? 4x BB suggests drawing hand or lesser pair (then again maybe he's slow-play big pairs hoping to get an extra bet before he check raises all in). With 4 to act got to isolate here IP don't you think? Button calls, no surprise there, but if you 3bet to say $720 you push off all but AA and KK hands behind and maybe get UTG to fold AQ, AJ, QJ, KJ and any number of other hands that just happened to hit the flop, now he's raised the flop and knows under-pairs can't stand the heat even though he's just probing with ATs.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand.

I can't thik we're good to attempt to float here. All his range has ridic amount of equity. A10-AK, TT+ KQ maybe. Pretty much everything is continuing as well as having person to act behind to worry about, if he bets I can do nothing but fold which would suck.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluenowhere; Yeah we are set mining and 99 can't stand 4bet, still EP raiser is talking over pair or big slick, if we assume that he has some idea what he's doing then why doesn't he shove with AA or KK UTG? 4x BB suggests drawing hand or lesser pair (then again maybe he's slow-play big pairs hoping to get an extra bet before he check raises all in). With 4 to act got to isolate here IP don't you think? Button calls, no surprise there, but if you 3bet to say $720 you push off all but AA and KK hands behind and maybe get UTG to fold AQ, AJ, QJ, KJ and any number of other hands that just happened to hit the flop, now he's raised the flop and knows under-pairs can't stand the heat even though he's just probing with ATs.

I just don't think it would be good to isolate UTG raiser expecially without knowing he is a weak player who I have a decent amount of FE against postflop despite showing strenth pre. Also if we're set mining we want to keep AA and KK in the range we're up against because we can probably play for stacks if we hit our set.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you fold out AA/KK imo.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't mean we fold out AA/KK. I meant calling is prefferable to raising as we don't get 4-bet shoved on so he still has AA/KK in his range and we can call and probably play for stacks if we hit our set.