$1.10 NLHE MTT: 1st hand of the tournament, AK, two all in's, fold?

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars $1.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t15/t30 Blinds - 9 players - View hand 1708505
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG+1: t4150 138.33 BBs
UTG+2: t2790 93 BBs
MP1: t2695 89.83 BBs
Hero (MP2): t2000 66.67 BBs
CO: t2335 77.83 BBs
BTN: t2060 68.67 BBs
SB: t1880 62.67 BBs
BB: t1920 64 BBs
UTG: t3055 101.83 BBs

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is MP2 with K
club.gif
A
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 raises to t120, 2 folds, Hero raises to t300, CO raises to t2335 all in, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls t2215

Hero:???

This is a fold here right? If it was heads up it would be a snap call but against two all ins should we be folding?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the structure?

Is this a MTTSnG or a a massive large field MTT?

This does look like your typical spew monkeys in the first few hands of the tournament who literally shove so much worse in this spot, even 2 all-ins, there is a very high chance you have the very best hand.

You shoulden't be calling based on action but I can't help feel you will see much worse turned over here in theses stakes and these tournaments so early on. People just love to spew so badly and the saying is true you get all the gamblers early on and really bad players and wil shove any ace, any king/queen etc..ranges are so massive I'd personally call it off in a big field tournament.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interested to see what others think but I'm getting it in here. First hand of a $1 tourney you will see all kinds of crap get it all in. Triple up or bust out and move on to the next tourney imo.

Looking at it again, it's not the first hand but still really early so I still call.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the structure?

Is this a MTTSnG or a a massive large field MTT?

This does look like your typical spew monkeys in the first few hands of the tournament who literally shove so much worse in this spot, even 2 all-ins, there is a very high chance you have the very best hand.

You shoulden't be calling based on action but I can't help feel you will see much worse turned over here in theses stakes and these tournaments so early on. People just love to spew so badly and the saying is true you get all the gamblers early on and really bad players and wil shove any ace, any king/queen etc..ranges are so massive I'd personally call it off in a big field tournament.

Big field. 5k entrants.

So, for future reference, it's a call here because the ranges are so wide?

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
insta shove, big field $1 entry, easy shove i think

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless one of them has AA or KK you've likely got more than your share of the equity. A lot of times they'll flip over two lower PP's and you'll have near 40% equity. You could also have a weaker dominated ace and a PP, which is not as good, since he's got one of your outs, but still not terrible (~33% equity). I guess you also don't want to see a PP and another AK, but that's less likely.

I'm getting it in here.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get it in, based largely on the buyin

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get it in, based largely on the buyin
I do understand that if it's a small buy-in tourney, the chances are you're good here but what I don't understand is how can you make a call like this when you really shouldn't?
I mean a small amount of the bad players will make it deep along with the good players, but how do you know which ones are the bad players and which are the good ones if you have no reads?
I don't know if I'm making any sense here but what I'm trying to get at is should you not play an "A" game regardless of the buy-in?

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do understand that if it's a small buy-in tourney, the chances are you're good here but what I don't understand is how can you make a call like this when you really shouldn't?
I mean a small amount of the bad players will make it deep along with the good players, but how do you know which ones are the bad players and which are the good ones if you have no reads?
I don't know if I'm making any sense here but what I'm trying to get at is should you not play an "A" game regardless of the buy-in?

I see where you're coming from but this is a good chance to triple up. If you bust out it's no big deal because you have little time invested and you will be against 2 hands you dominate quite often.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if one of the all-in players are holding KK+ and because of the buy-in amount, he has to believe he'll get a call he's hoping for.

So many different possibilities but I would fold as this is the right thing to do because there have been so many times that I underestimated my opponent, but have also given my opponent too much credit, so I play based on my stack as well as the amount of the buy-in and where in the tourney we are,
so in your position if making the call won't hurt your stack too much if you lose then make the call and visa-versa.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is holding KK we're just unlucky that he has the top of his range. He may be the biggest nit in the world and only ever has AA here but readless you just have to play against population tendancies, at this BI you get randoms 'tards stacking off ridic wide so against the overall range of the whole population (which will be a wider range at lowe BI, hence why that matter) AK is doing pretty well.

Also we are playing A-game regardless of BI. However, just because something is optimal at a $1.10 BI does not mean it's optimal at a $10K BI. So calling here is best and our A-game whilst in the WSOPME calling here would not be the A-game as people aren't shipping light enough for us to call.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if one of the all-in players are holding KK+ and because of the buy-in amount, he has to believe he'll get a call he's hoping for.

So many different possibilities but I would fold as this is the right thing to do because there have been so many times that I underestimated my opponent, but have also given my opponent too much credit, so I play based on my stack as well as the amount of the buy-in and where in the tourney we are,
so in your position if making the call won't hurt your stack too much if you lose then make the call and visa-versa.
Your holding blockers to the nut hands AA/KK
I insta call,I win tripple up,i lose i'm out of the donkament win win imo:)

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

its about ranges mate, we are getting it in way ahead of their respective ranges far too often to ever fold, especially without complete information to warrant a fold we should assume and snap all day

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to get it in after having stuck in 30 already

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a 5k tourney it's pretty much $EV=cEV so i'm getting it in here.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone auto calling in a $5 or $10 or more tournie?With same amount of entrants.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone auto calling in a $5 or $10 or more tournie?With same amount of entrants.

for 67bb I already have the call any box ticked at both those stakes. Not really sure when it becomes a fold because I've never really played higher than low stakes MTT.

F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You probably have the best hand here, mostly sounds like your typical spewfish looking to donk up in the first hand. I would fold here though. AK is a marginal hand and if you are up against a pair it's a coinflip at best. I wouldn't let my tournament life ride that early on a hand like that.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You probably have the best hand here, mostly sounds like your typical spewfish looking to donk up in the first hand. I would fold here though. AK is a marginal hand and if you are up against a pair it's a coinflip at best. I wouldn't let my tournament life ride that early on a hand like that.

You're overvaluing your tournament life.

K

KCcheckraise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate the beginning where everyone tries to shove anything. Could be a good player who hit AA or someone with Q2 off. Never really know until you call or fold. I generally fold unless I've got a nice pair, but AK early with probable garbage being played, I might give in and call.

F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're overvaluing your tournament life.

Your goal should be to place in the money, and the lower limits require you to play tight if you want to accomplish this. You need to wait for the right hand and the right situation before you make your move, and if that means folding AK against 2 shoves, or any marginal hand in a questionable situation, that's what you have to do. If he's green M-zone this is a fold; he can afford to wait for a better spot where he's more sure of his odds.

There's no reason to risk your entire stack on a marginal situation in the early stages when you still have a big stack compared to the blinds; there WILL be a better opportunity to get chips.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your goal should be to place in the money, and the lower limits require you to play tight if you want to accomplish this. You need to wait for the right hand and the right situation before you make your move, and if that means folding AK against 2 shoves, or any marginal hand in a questionable situation, that's what you have to do. If he's green M-zone this is a fold; he can afford to wait for a better spot where he's more sure of his odds.

There's no reason to risk your entire stack on a marginal situation in the early stages when you still have a big stack compared to the blinds; there WILL be a better opportunity to get chips.

No, your goal is to win.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker