$1.10 NLHE MTT: $1.10 MTT NLHE Holding the AA from UTG

S

SilverZander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I've reviewed the hand myself this morning, the night after, but would like to receive some feedback from members of the forum. Holding AA from UTG, I didn't want to "get excited" and go All-in so instead I raised first in with a 2.5bb to create some value and get some more chips in the pot.

We've already made the cash💲, but we're on the bubble to the next level of cash, so players were tightening up and folding to most All-in shoves Pre-Flop at this time. Maybe in a tournament, already in the cash, I should have gone all-in from the start, especially as I'm OOP, but please let me know your thoughts.

I won't say much more on how/why I played the hand as I want to see the feedback, but I'll aim to provide my thoughts at the time in reply.

400/800 Ante 100 NL - Holdem - 9 players

UTG+1: 30.29 BB
MP: 55.95 BB
MP+1: 35.2 BB
MP+2: 78.36 BB
CO: 10.03 BB
BTN: 25.94 BB
SB: 90.22 BB
BB: 26.24 BB
Hero (UTG): 34.85 BB

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.62 BB) Hero has A A

Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, MP raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (10.62 BB, 2 players) 9 3 K
Hero checks, MP bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

Turn: (16.62 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero bets 6 BB, MP raises to 20 BB, Hero calls 14 BB

River: (56.62 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero bets 7.73 BB and is all-in, MP calls 7.73 BB

Hero shows A A (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 82%, Flop 12%, Turn 5%)
MP shows K K (Three of a Kind, Kings)
(Pre 18%, Flop 88%, Turn 95%)
MP wins 72.08 BB
:(

D

D_godfather

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop, I am inclined to raise again due to being out of postion. One benefit of the call is it gives you the option of using a strategy to manage/restrict pot size later should the flop present with a K or Q, for example by calling rather than betting in later streets, avoiding all your chips going in.

In this case preflop villain is unlikely to back away anyway, so a bit academic.

Interested to hear about post flop management from others

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the UTG I would have made a bigger bet, a raise x2.5 for me is very small and I would definitely have made a 4bet in the pre-flop.
On the flop after just calling the pre-flop raise I would very likely have made a check / raise in this situation and on the turn after the villain's raise I don't understand why calling with less than 8BB I would have placed my entire stack at that time too.
Nothing I write would have changed the result of the hand, I only tell you how I would have played AA in that position.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When MP clicks back on a 55bb stack size and we are playing 35 effective - this is an easy 4bet to induce or just jam. They shouldn't be clicking us back lightly here and generally $1 players dont have a ton of 3bet bluffs in their range - much less click backs, seems REALLY strong and if they do have a hand like AK, KK or QQ, I'd loooove to get it all in right now.

That being said if the click back were from a shorter stack - like say 20-25bb - we could still certainly jam - but then I like the slow play a little more anyhow. There aren't going to be many flops we have to worry about and if we let them continue being aggressive can get all of the money in the middle anyhow. So I dont hate the way that was done here.

The end result is a cooler. Nothing you can do, there isnt much to review - if you shove preflop he snap calls and hits his K, you slowplay and he hits his K and we are still never folding. Not a ton to review here - AAs are going to lose sometimes and that's just how poker is. Dont be focused on the end result - focus on the play at hand! Preflop - we have the nuts - so is it bad getting all of our money in here? Again, we are looking to get it all in with aces, whether it be preflop or post flop and our outcome here is going to be the same regardless. Just a cooler, dont get hung up on the outcome. Going broke with AAs is generally never bad.