Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Only 10 hands played in this tournament so not much info on the players.

Is completing here pre-flop a mistake? Should I call the turn?

pokerstars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 (7 ante) - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 2,758 (46 bb)
MP: 3,136 (52 bb)
CO: 3,143 (52 bb)
BU: 2,773 (46 bb)
SB (Hero): 2,914 (49 bb)
BB: 3,430 (57 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(132) Hero is SB with Q T
2 players fold, CO calls 60, 1 fold, Hero calls 30, BB checks

Flop: (222) A J J (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets 180, Hero calls 180, BB calls 180

Turn: (762) 9 (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets 180, Hero calls 180, BB raises to 660, CO calls 480, SB (Hero) folds

River: (2,262) 2 (2 players)
BB checks, CO checks

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
In ante games we should either complete or raise any non-junk hand from SB, when it gets limped to us, and QTo is certainly not junk. Folding is way to tight, but you could raise as an alternative. However given that its early in the tournament, I dont think, CO is limping to fold very often, so I prefer just seeing a cheap flop, like you did.

Flop
You flopped a gutshot and BDFD, and I think, its fine to lead here in a limped pot. I am less keen on check-calling, especially to such a large bet, because now you are really just trying to improve, and even when you do, its not going to be the nuts. And you still have BB left to act behind you. So as played I check-fold here and move on losing only 0,5BB.

Turn
You picked up more outs, and now he bet very small, so I would also call again as played. But when BB now raise, and CO calls, its an easy fold. You are still drawing dead to boat and now also a K or Q high flush.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only 10 hands played in this tournament so not much info on the players.

PokerStars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 (7 ante) - 6 players

Pre-Flop:

Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets 180, Hero calls 180, BB raises to 660, CO calls 480, SB (Hero) folds

BB checks, CO checks
Flop
1 100bb deep we have to be very cautious on a paired board
2 We have a gut shot--- no overs to the board - and large bet- and 100 bb deep calling is the worst of all our choices as floating to steal the pot gives the IP V too much control
3 The BB was still live and over called another reason not to float here

Multiway solver play has the IP V betting top of range in spots like this as they do not need to slow play Jx hands multiway
normally it would be 33% sizing but your V are not GTO at this level (IP V did bet top of range-just wrong sizing)

Turn
Small bet IP we call- raise by BB IP calls 480 for us to call to win 2800 if we think the diamond draw is live we can call- no diamond pairs the board cards-

Early in a tournament we can let this go on the flop as we saw here the V was betting large for protection not bluffs then bet again on the turn in a 100% check spot in a limped pot enabling the BB to get in a check raise. These actions put us in difficult spots where we are putting chips in and not being able to realize our equity which was very low even against just the A9 hand.
The problem with trying to hit our Ten high flush is it is third best flush on a board where it can already be dead- If we hit our K for a straight KJ is a common limped hand even if the V have Kd our flush draw is dead and our straight draw is a 3 outer on a paired and flushed turn board-

We avoid all of this by folding on the flop in this spot----There will be much better spots to get chips than this

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think you could try playing it till the end. I would be worried about a possible appearence of a full house. From the moment you called the 180 chips raise you could continue. From the other hand you played more grounded and protected your stack from waiting a diamond for the flush!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: I like just calling here as really the only good choice. I get the raise angle but for fold equity early on when everyone is deep (or even fairly deep as here) we have to go really big (4x might not even do it) and if called then we are playing a large pot, OOP, with Q10 off. Q10 off is a nice hand to see a cheap flop with so I recommend just completing here as you did and seeing what happens.

Flop: You could lead here especially since this is a paired board scenario where if you had trips you would lead due to the two diamonds, ace on the board that you would get value from, a draw heavy broadway board, etc. but I like just seeing what everyone does here and check. I mentioned l like playing pre passive here and letting it unfold for cheap so I would stick with that mindset here and check evaluate. We then face a bet which I would really pay attention to the bet sizing here. Its a large bet so to me this villain has either Jx or Ax they are protecting or they are bluffing. I dont think draws bet this way (imo anyway) so thats enough for me to think that even if it is a bluff I will face another bet on the turn and it still could be that if I hit on the turn that I am up against something bigger so I like folding here and getting out of it not investing that much. We also still have BB behind us who I would think likely at this point has nothing but you never know so its just another reason to pitch here and move on.

Turn: As played after calling the large flop bet and getting a call behind us its a card that can suck us in here to places we dont want to go. I think I would never lead here whether I hit it or not so checking is the correct play as you did. The small bet by villain after making a big bet on the flop really scares me. Unless this is a player who just is picking bet sizes out of thin air (always possible) this to me says I have a hand that I dont need to protect as much anymore meaning it got better. I dont think a draw after the turn card would bet this small as they would probably just take a free card. With that said its tough for us to have the hand we have and fold to such a small bet. I think this is one where if I got to this point I would have to call but would be hating knowing the reverse implied odds could be really bad for me. When BB check raises after our call its an easy fold as you do. My guess here is BB is either trying to steal it (would not be wise) or they have the flush but I got that bad feeling CO has the boat. Not sure if you remember what everyone had but that large flop, small turn bet sizing has me thinking big for CO.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The small bet by villain after making a big bet on the flop really scares me. Unless this is a player who just is picking bet sizes out of thin air (always possible) this to me says I have a hand that I dont need to protect as much anymore meaning it got better.
To me it looks more like a hand, that got worse. Most likely trips given the board. On the flop big bet to extract value and protect from draws. On the turn the main draw comes in, so now he is much less sure about his hand, but rather than check he feel, he should still bet something, so he bet small. On the river another diamond come, and he check back his trips.
I dont think a draw after the turn card would bet this small as they would probably just take a free card.
I dont think, a gutshot draw bomb the flop, and the flushdraw got there. So I agree, there are no draws in COs range. He either has a J, more unlikely an A, or he has a flush.
My guess here is BB is either trying to steal it (would not be wise) or they have the flush
Yes I agree with that. BB either turned a flush, or they are making an attempt to steal the pot, perhaps reading the small turn bet as weak.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Here is the full hand (y)

PokerStars, $0.98 + $0.12 - Hold'em No Limit - 30/60 (7 ante) - 6 players

Pre-Flop:

BB checks, CO checks

Total pot: 2,262

Showdown:
BB shows J 3 (three of a kind, Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 36%, Flop: 91%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

CO mucks 9 A (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 64%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

BB wins 2,262

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think you did everythink right! My logic here is pretty simple - if I ask myself a question what hands can I beat I will not have a proper unswer probably. The guy on BB could easily have suited hands like 48 or offsuited any Jx or J2 or j9 and the CO could easily limp suited hands like K8 to K2, or Q9 to Q2 or 98 97 for example or a low Ace...I don't think that it's that kind of spot that you will see very often and cooler your opponents by getting your flush with the condition that opps don't have higher flush or a full house. Most of the times you just won't see you flush or straight :)

So my thought is that it is unnecessary to pay many chips just with "what if" hand, too much conditions needed to win.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seeing their actual holdings you did in fact get the right odds to call on the turn getting better than 4:1 and having 14 live outs. But the issue is, that this is not always the case, and even when you do make the best hand, like you did here, its difficult to get paid. More importantly you only had 4 outs and a BDFD on the flop, so there you were not getting the right odds to draw. Which is why, check-calling the flop is a mistake. Check-folding is fine, but for me personally my preferred line is to lead out for a smaller sizing, than CO used. And if you then get raised, its an easy fold losing you less chips, than you lost here.