CO: 47.27 BB
BTN: 43.53 BB
SB: 48.62 BB
BB: 99 BB
UTG: 108.03 BB
UTG+1: 34.77 BB

9 players post ante of 0.12 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.55 BB) Hero has A:club: Q:club:

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.1 BB, MP+2 calls 2.1 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls 1.1 BB

Flop: (8.85 BB, 3 players) 8:diamond: 4:club: Q:spade:
UTG checks, Hero bets 5.93 BB, MP+2 calls 5.93 BB, fold

Turn: (20.72 BB, 2 players) 5:club:
Hero checks, MP+2 bets 112.17 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 65.58 BB and is all-in

River: (151.88 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:

[spoil]Hero shows A:club: Q:club: (Two Pair, Queens and Eights)
(Pre 65%, Flop 80%, Turn 89%)
MP+2 shows T:club: 8:club: (Three of a Kind, Eights)
(Pre 35%, Flop 20%, Turn 11%)
MP+2 wins 151.88 BB
[/spoil]

Last edited:
B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pre-Flop, with a limper already on the hand, you should make more than a minraise, to punish the limper and avoid a multi way pot (minraise gives the other players to act some good pot odds to see a flop)

And on the turn, i think betting is better then checking, because you can still get value from marginal hands that called flop (like the T8 the villain had) and you don't allow the straight draws (JT, T9, 76, 65) to check behind and see the river for free

valduer

valduer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Pre-Flop, with a limper already on the hand, you should make more than a minraise, to punish the limper and avoid a multi way pot (minraise gives the other players to act some good pot odds to see a flop)

And on the turn, i think betting is better then checking, because you can still get value from marginal hands that called flop (like the T8 the villain had) and you don't allow the straight draws (JT, T9, 76, 65) to check behind and see the river for free
I'm with you on the preflop bet size.
I guess the check on the turn was intended as a bait for marginal hands so hero probably was happy with the result OTT 😀
betting OTT might better eV wise but villain seems to be a pretty agressive player so I don't think its a missplay necessarily

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 45/15/3
PokerStars - 30/60 Ante 7 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 48.77 BB
Hero (MP+1): 73.73 BB
MP+2: 120.32 BB

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.1 BB, MP+2 calls 2.1 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls 1.1 BB

Hero checks, MP+2 bets 112.17 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 65.58 BB and is all-in

MP+2 wins 151.88 BB
[/spoil]
Pre-flop with a limp at the table I should have raised to 3.5 BB, at least, since from UTG with a limp it looks like a weak range. Post-flop I consider it normal, since you had the best pair and were ahead all the time until the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Even without the limper opening to 2,1BB with such short stacks is very small. And with a limper its way to small. Do you expect him to ever fold any hand, when he only need to put in another 1,1BB to see a flop? 4BB or even 4,5BB is a good sizing here.

Flop
Standard C-bet.

Turn
I think, your hand is strong enough to bet again for value. You do check though, and then the opponent makes a massive overbet jam for more than 3 times the size of the pot. This is pretty wild, and I think, this is a bad hand far more often than a good one. And even if you are somehow behind, you are not drawing dead, since you picked up the nut flushdraw. So I would also close my eyes and call.

Results
Basically a bad beat story. The opponent massively overplayed his hand and hit one of his 5 outs on the river. Good for him. Put another dollar in and reenter or play the next one.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not see who we can justify a call on on turn of 60BB villan could already have a set ….. we never learn to play properly when we make calls at these amounts, unless we have the nuts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
villan could already have a set
But why would they play a set like this? Would they not want to get some more action / value and therefore pick a much smaller sizing? I think, what they actually had, is exactly the kind of hand, that takes this line most often. So I like the call a lot :)

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the pre-flop bet was too small.
Then on the turn you should bet. Checking this you gave him the impression that you don't have anything.
With the best pair and flush draw I think that it was the correct call on turn but with a good bet from your side maybe he would have folded.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with a lot that has been said already. Pre flop needs to be bigger for it to have effectiveness since we are 3 betting for value there so don't we want to get value from it and not just a BB of value and also not have players correctly draw for it against us with any two cards?

On the flop, its a C bet but I dont like your sizing on this board. Its a dry rainbow board and you have top pair with one of the two overcards so you can bet smaller here to get more calls. Now in this case it worked as you bet large and still got called by worse but I think in the long run 40-50% sizing here is better than 2/3rds pot. If the flop had been wet with draws or if it was A84 instead of Q84 then a bigger sizing makes more sense since many opponents can and will have Ax.

The turn is bet as others have said. We pick up a great card even though villain can have it but they are a 45/15 player that had to only put in one more BB to continue in the hand so their range here is extremely wide meaning they could have plenty of one pair hands too. Those one pair hands that called the flop could very well call turn as well since it was a 5 and not a higher card in the deck. As played when we get jammed over I want to throw my computer against the wall lol as I like my hand but do I like it enough to put the rest of my 65 ish BB stack in? I don't know, I think there are days where I would call here but would also overfold (its one of my many problems) often so I am guessing I would fold in game which I am not saying by any means is correct and is more likely incorrect. 40 or 45 BBs and less I would be much more willing to go with it. Villain is loose enough (and we did not charge them pre) to have 67, 85, 54, 84 which is what would scare me. The thing that would make me pause is would they really jam those hands after we just checked and showed weakness (also why I didn't include sets)? I am not sure they would so that would make me ponder as I do agree with Fundiver when he says this is more likely a bad hand or limited value hand than a monster.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

and thank you for those great replies, with great explanations.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing that would make me pause is would they really jam those hands after we just checked and showed weakness (also why I didn't include sets)? I am not sure they would so that would make me ponder as I do agree with Fundiver when he says this is more likely a bad hand or limited value hand than a monster.
As I said already, having the nut flushdraw matter to our decision here. Obviously we are not getting the right odds to draw to a flush, but having 20% equity rather than 0%, if we are against a straight or set, definitely matter. It also means, that hands like the one, Villain actually had, have far less equity. If Hero did not have a flushdraw, Villain would have 14 outs, but now he only had 5. So weather we are behind or ahead, the flushdraw gives us more equity, which makes it a much easier call. Without the flushdraw I might fold here in real time, because 74 bigs is a lot to put in with just top pair in a single raised pot. But this hand was not just top pair, it was also a draw to the nuts.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 45/15/3
PokerStars - 30/60 Ante 7 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 48.77 BB
Hero (MP+1): 73.73 BB
MP+2: 120.32 BB

MP+2 wins 151.88 BB
[/spoil]
When we have a strong hand we want to get max value for that hand - the shortest stack is 43bb so we want to stack the shorties at the very least so raising to this size does not start to build the big pot that we want. Further AQ is a good multiway hand but 3 way is always better then 4 way + for ROI
So again raise larger preflop

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4x pre
on the flop figure yourself why this sizing is bad.
on the turn MUST blast again. you for sure can get 3 streets of value in these stakes