$1.1 NLHE MTT Turbo: Bigger aggression when we have it?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First one:

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/52521gYBg

Second one:

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/32521Y7em

Both of them part of my 1.1$ buy-ins challange.
First one is a Rounder (blinds go up in every 1 hour with a rounded number like 50/100, 500/1000, 5.000/10.000, 50.000/100.000). We were about to reach the next blind level (5.000/10.000) in about 5 minutes.
Second one is a hyper 6 players/table with 3 mins blinds.

I'm wondering which streets do you recommend to play different, when we absolutely hit it on flop? How often should we calculate with outcomes like these - seeing both parties?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 QTs

Preflop
Opening to this size is fine, and of course we are calling the 3-bet, when its this small.

Flop
I like to just call here, when we have position. If he check to us on the turn, we can just take over the betting and still get 3 streets for value from a hand like an overpair.

Turn
The board got wetter now, but given that you cover most of the draws, I prefer to still just call and look to play the river in position. And if you are going to raise, I dont see any point in leaving him with 16k behind. All, this does, is to potentially allow him to call with a draw and not put in the rest on the river, if he miss. So either just call here or move him in. As played we are of course not folding for the last 16k getting more than 5:1. If he happen to have a boat, then he got us, and if he have a straight or trips with a better kicker, we will just need to get lucky.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 2 AQo

Preflop
Calling here is fine, but its also a great spot to 3-bet for value, and a 3-bet should probably just be a jam, given that CO only started the hand with a little over 20BB, and SB rarely has anything really strong, when he just flat.

Flop
In this hand you are out of position against the original raiser, and for that reason I want to take the betting lead to make sure, he dont check behing and limit the size of the pot. You can do that either by check-raising, which is my prefered line, or by leading out (donk betting).

Turn
With a 1-liner to a straight, all hands that dont have that straight will likely check behind now. So I actually really like your line of leading (donk betting) as played. And yeah... obviously we are calling it off with the nuts. You dont need me or anyone else to tell you that.

Results
In both hands the opponent ended up with top boat, and whenever that happen, we are going to lose a bunch of chips, when we also have a very strong but second best hand. Thats just the way, the cookie crumples, and its nothing to worry about. When you have top boat, and they have trips with a combodraw or the nut straight, they will also go broke to you, so in the long run setups or coolers dont matter.

The only thing I would take away from these hands is to be aware of situations, where it might be better to slow down and just call rather than raise. And I do think, that in the first hand raising the turn was a slight mistake. Not because he had top boat, but because you forced him to fold out his bluffs, and he might even consider folding hands like AA or AK, that you are trying to get paid by. When there are almost no cards, that are bad for you, its typically a good time to just call in position.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mimic what fundiver says above for both hands except one point that I will add. In hand number one I am not keen on opening there due to the stack sizes that are behind us. The players behind us should be jamming or folding and there are 4 of them to get through. When they jam (if they are jamming even close to what they should be jamming) then you will be behind but be forced to call due to putting in 2 ish BBs and they would be in the 8 BB range. I dont like being in a spot like that with so many jam stacks behind me (although not that large) and opening a hand like Q10 suited or not. The hand looks pretty and is definitely openable in a lot of spots but this is one where I tighten up and dont raise without a hand that I feel I am ahead of their jamming range. Again, I really think this comes into play here because you dont just have one jam stack behind you but you have 4 and 3 of them are 8 BBs that you would not want to throw away.