• Total voters
peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im at Btn with 97hs, called UTG 2.5x, SB& BB called as well.
Flop 6h5h4d SB/BB checked, UTG raised half pot, I 3bet 2/3 pot, SB/BB folded. UTG went allin.
I have up and down straight, flush draw, and 4 outs fir nuts str8 of which 1 is for a str8 flush.
V went allin. I to much of my chagrin, called.
He had 2d3s. I mean the mind boggles how he found the PF raise whilst UTG, then just falls outta logic when he went allin with the lowest end of the straight. Of course I called, and lost.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stack size is going to dictate a lot for me here. If we are very deep I think once in a while you can call pre flop to an UTG raise (unless player is opening everything which is possible given what they had in this hand but I dont know how they play so I am overlooking that for my analysis) but shorter or even mid stacks like 60 BBs I think you are best to fold pre. The UTG raise range should be much better than yours and there will be flops that suck you in and you can wind up chasing and losing valuable chips. If you are shorter at all then implied odds are limited and you should fold pre. Given that UTG jams on the flop Im guessing effective stacks arent that deep so I would be folding pre here.

As far as the flop goes and as played. At this point we have to take what hands villain most likely has and then see how we are doing against them. I would forsee a lot of overpairs here which we are flipping with 51-55% depending on if villains hand has a heart. The price would be right at that point to call but you have to put some value on tournament life and your stack depending on how deep you are. If villain has two larger hearts like AK or KQ then we are a 60/40 dog and probably not getting the right price to call. Sets are about the same 60/40 dog for us and I would think (although incorrectly for this hand) that villain is not doing this with a made straight since we have the 7 blocker and 23 is highly unlikely from a UTG open. That leaves most scenarios in the flip range or slightly bad call on the 40/60 dog spots given the price we get. This spot, if you didnt fold pre, would all be about how much you want to gamble and how you feel against the field. Tournament life is important but depending on stacks coming into the hand if you win you will have a monster stack which is worth a lot depending on how you wield it. Its a gamble spot that I think as played folding or calling is close since its pretty much going to be close to a flip most of the time. Even with what villain had you were 52% there.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This call is a little bit speculative, and for it to be good some conditions have to be met. equity wise we are way behind an UTG open range, so we need to either get good pot odds, which we will, if the players in the blinds fold, or be able to outplay UTG after the flop. For this reason I dont like this call, if there is a LAG in the blinds, and especially not if he has a rejamming stack of 25-30BB or less. I also dont like it, if there are fish in the blinds, because they will do a lot of calling, and then are is less dead chips to fight for, plus we cant effectively bluff in a multiway hand. So to make this call I basically want two deep stacked nitty players in the blinds.

Flop
With a big combodraw like this I am never folding the flop, so the choise is only between calling and raising with intentions of stacking off, if someone jams. I think, both options are pretty close in EV, so I dont have a problem with your line.

Results
Him showing up with 23 is of course a bit surpricing, but you are never ahead with 9 high. So whatever he has, you are going to need to improve, and being against 23 was no worse than being against AA or KK.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So his 23 raise is weird, but your 79 call isn't?? Funny...

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open raising 32o from any seat of the table is way more out of line than calling 97s on BTN.

Well, I don't think I can agree with this, I won't talk about UTG because he did not post the hand. Calling an UTG open on the button w 7,9s can never be good in a $1 tourney. This is not a table of sicko's who can destroy opponent on postflop play. IF you really need to play 79s here and now you should just 3 bet and hopefully get the blinds to fold. I think calling and 3 betting are both bad. Why not a simple fold??

P

plusssev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You nothing explain about stacks, situation etc. anyway you had great chance to win, and i like raise in this situation.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I don't think I can agree with this, I won't talk about UTG because he did not post the hand. Calling an UTG open on the button w 7,9s can never be good in a $1 tourney. This is not a table of sicko's who can destroy opponent on postflop play. IF you really need to play 79s here and now you should just 3 bet and hopefully get the blinds to fold. I think calling and 3 betting are both bad. Why not a simple fold??

Not saying its a great call, but its certainly less bad than opening 32o. I would also rather call with 97s than KJo, because the hand play much better against a tight range. 97s can make some straights or flushes, and when it flop a pair, we are rarely going to be outkicked. 3-betting is also an option, but in general it is ok to have a calling range on BTN, because its the best seat of the table. A simple fold would also be totally fine here. Completely agree with that.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the information given, getting it in on the flop is fine. He could have overpairs that you’re actually favored against. If you slow play and hit your flush or straight, you might not get as many chips from your opponent.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So his 23 raise is weird, but your 79 call isn't?? Funny...
Do you have an idea about the BTN range for folding, calling, shoving, 3betting? If you do, please succingtly describe it to the members of the forum here!

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This call is a little bit speculative, and for it to be good some conditions have to be met. Equity wise we are way behind an UTG open range, so we need to either get good pot odds, which we will, if the players in the blinds fold, or be able to outplay UTG after the flop. For this reason I dont like this call, if there is a LAG in the blinds, and especially not if he has a rejamming stack of 25-30BB or less. I also dont like it, if there are fish in the blinds, because they will do a lot of calling, and then are is less dead chips to fight for, plus we cant effectively bluff in a multiway hand. So to make this call I basically want two deep stacked nitty players in the blinds.

Flop
With a big combodraw like this I am never folding the flop, so the choise is only between calling and raising with intentions of stacking off, if someone jams. I think, both options are pretty close in EV, so I dont have a problem with your line.

Results
Him showing up with 23 is of course a bit surpricing, but you are never ahead with 9 high. So whatever he has, you are going to need to improve, and being against 23 was no worse than being against AA or KK.
Well, exactly what I was going after, JJ+, AQ+, and since I had the nuts blockers, I didnt think that anyone in his sane mind would be jamming even with AKsh, ergo me calling

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am folding this hand, and most of specs, what do I have left? 15-18%
I don't think you played the hand badly at all. I'd play this on the button as a call - and go broke as you did with the high number of outs you had on the flop.

Funny peeps will say this is a preflop fold - but will STRONGLY play 9/8 suited here all day long. It's the same damn hand, and you played it fine.

Hope you were able to put a note on that fish, so when you see him next time you can exploit his EXTREME fishy play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands