$0.55 PLO MTT: Just wondering how I lost this hand PLO

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems my boat lost - to boat in PLO - I'm just not seeing how this was not a split pot.

Thanks for the input.

Nevermind - I see it now - he sucked out.

Gaud - I hate plo

Attachments

• PLOTopBoatLosestoTopBoat_Huh.JPG
    PLOTopBoatLosestoTopBoat_Huh.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 31

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im with you on not liking PLO. You actually were a big dog after the flop which for PLO is usually rare and then yes he sucked out on the river. I dont touch PLO and hats off to those who like it and are good at it. I do like (but a true beginner) PLO8. Variance is greatly reduced and it seems more fun to me. Not sure your feelings on PLO8 but thought I would mention it if you are looking to play another game on top of NLH. You might like it a whole lot more than PLO.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your best 5 card hand using 2 cards out of your and 3 community cards is
10,10,10, 7,7
your opponents best 5 card hand using 2 cards out of their hand and 3 community cards is 10,10,10, A,A

Your opponents boat is bigger.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems my boat lost - to boat in PLO - I'm just not seeing how this was not a split pot.

Thanks for the input.

Nevermind - I see it now - he sucked out.

Gaud - I hate plo

Thank you for posting.

I can help you hate PLO less in one easy step.:D;)

Preflop hand selection- this was a fold preflop even for a limp. Especially as deep as you were. The deeper we are the more we need to rely on nut flush draw hands not ten high flush draws and 55 is a dangerous pair and T7 is a bad gap and 75 is as well and the T is not connected to the 5's
T966 ss is better but still not a hand we want to play at these stack depths unless we are really skilled post flop. Or our V over fold LOL just kidding this is PLO over fold HA LOL

In PLO tournies we can so easily flop an under set or lose to turned over set etc and our V have get to the river SPRs in this spot.
If our V have less SPR we can get some folds on flop and turn- if they have skill- so we can pressure more with 2 pair. etc. so our hand selection can be wider later in tournies.

Hope this helps
:):)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im with you on not liking PLO. You actually were a big dog after the flop which for PLO is usually rare and then yes he sucked out on the river. I dont touch PLO and hats off to those who like it and are good at it. I do like (but a true beginner) PLO8. Variance is greatly reduced and it seems more fun to me. Not sure your feelings on PLO8 but thought I would mention it if you are looking to play another game on top of NLH. You might like it a whole lot more than PLO.

Same here HP. I don't know what it is about PLO8 - but it just seems more enjoyable to me, and I'm ooodles more successful at it than straight omaha. Odd Thanks for the reply.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting.

I can help you hate PLO less in one easy step.:D;)

Preflop hand selection- this was a fold preflop even for a limp. Especially as deep as you were. The deeper we are the more we need to rely on nut flush draw hands not ten high flush draws and 55 is a dangerous pair and T7 is a bad gap and 75 is as well and the T is not connected to the 5's
T966 ss is better but still not a hand we want to play at these stack depths unless we are really skilled post flop. Or our V over fold LOL just kidding this is PLO over fold HA LOL

In PLO tournies we can so easily flop an under set or lose to turned over set etc and our V have get to the river SPRs in this spot.
If our V have less SPR we can get some folds on flop and turn- if they have skill- so we can pressure more with 2 pair. etc. so our hand selection can be wider later in tournies.

Hope this helps

Yeah - that's all pretty much greek to me E. Thanks for your input though.
I think your reply - is exactly why I really don't like the game - it is terribly slow - and I detest sitting around waiting for a hand to play.

I min-raised opened this hand - but I see from your response it was not even a good speculative hand to get involved with.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To clarify about disliking PLO.

At my stakes - everyone limps - which puts a bad taste in my mouth right off the bat. There are the 90% limpers and 10% aggros who bet POT every turn - regardless of their cards. Its just - blegh - un sophisticated and even less strategic to me. Rely on luck - in my opinion - is not a skill. lol

Sure all players have at least a sliver of equity every hand - but it just seems the game is designed to allows players to play badly and be rewarded. Rather than strategically planning to play certain hands in certain positions vs certain opponents. Its more - let me get into this pot - and luck into a hand. - just not the game for me I guess.

But I am not ruling out that it is a game - that has just not clicked for me quite yet. I have not studied it hardly at all - preoccupied with NLHE, and maybe in the future it will find a place in my stable of games.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To clarify about disliking PLO.

At my stakes - everyone limps - which puts a bad taste in my mouth right off the bat. There are the 90% limpers and 10% aggros who bet POT every turn - regardless of their cards. Its just - blegh - un sophisticated and even less strategic to me. Rely on luck - in my opinion - is not a skill. lol

Sure all players have at least a sliver of equity every hand - but it just seems the game is designed to allows players to play badly and be rewarded. Rather than strategically planning to play certain hands in certain positions vs certain opponents. Its more - let me get into this pot - and luck into a hand. - just not the game for me I guess.

But I am not ruling out that it is a game - that has just not clicked for me quite yet. I have not studied it hardly at all - preoccupied with NLHE, and maybe in the future it will find a place in my stable of games.

Thank you for posting

It is good of you to share your thoughts and feelings with the rest of us.

You are not wrong in how low limit players play PLO it really is bingo and yes we have to play a very straight forward game when they play like this.
That is why preflop hand selection is most important versus this type of Villain.
Equities run so close and folds are so seldom we really just want to play nut making hands.
So our flush draws are never lower than Qx and we have to fold the Qx flushes to any kind of river big bets because it is never a JX flush going for pot etc.
Our JJ-22 sets are not nut hands either if an over is on the board-V dependent of course.

As in the hand you posted we have to be very careful with full houses when there are combos that make better full houses.

The rule of thumb is -if it can be out there it is- in PLO.

It can be a very profitable game even versus these V if you always remember to only build pots with the nuts and only call with redraws to the nuts. We win fewer pots but when we win the pots are often bigger because the V over value 2 pair 3rd nuts low sets etc.

Hope this helps

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The rule of thumb is -if it can be out there it is- in PLO.

It can be a very profitable game even versus these V if you always remember to only build pots with the nuts and only call with redraws to the nuts. We win fewer pots but when we win the pots are often bigger because the V over value 2 pair 3rd nuts low sets etc.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the added information E. I like that rule. I'm gonna put it on a sticky note! :)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Your starting hand was very weak.
One rule is never start without an Ace suited and a hat full of big cards.
Hands containing small cards are easily dominated.
Any had you start with should if possible be capable of making multiple big showdown hands.
Pairs, two pairs and trips are considered weak.
We should be looking to make flushes ( be careful with those if the board pairs) and boards.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having to use 2cards out of ur hand u lose butt it is ACR u playing on the hoax site

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do like (but a true beginner) PLO8. Variance is greatly reduced and it seems more fun to me. Not sure your feelings on PLO8 but thought I would mention it if you are looking to play another game on top of NLH. You might like it a whole lot more than PLO.

There's a lot of variance in PLO8 as well. I was in a 9-handed Sit & Go, 4 left, 3 pay. I flopped top pair, with nut flush AND low draw and was all-in, and the board ran out perfect for my opponent to scoop me and knock me out. PLO8 can be a frustrating game as well, every bit as much as PLO.

Yeah - that's all pretty much greek to me E. Thanks for your input though.
I think your reply - is exactly why I really don't like the game - it is terribly slow - and I detest sitting around waiting for a hand to play.

I min-raised opened this hand - but I see from your response it was not even a good speculative hand to get involved with.

Here are some basic tips as well that might help you with your PLO game:
1. Flopping bottom sets rarely win big pots, because you're already facing (especially multiway) draws to straights/flushes/higher sets. If facing aggressive opponents, your variance is EXTREMELY high.
2. Position is VERY important, maybe even more so than in Hold'em. Being in the Small Blind at an aggressive table is extremely bad for you, that you almost have to be nutted to really win big pots. BUT, if players are making mistakes, you can take advantage of it regardless of the position.
3. Most players overplay AAxx with little regard for what their other two cards are, along with little regard for suitedness. If you have AAxx rainbow, you can't make flushes, which gives you fewer boards that will help you.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a lot of variance in PLO8 as well. I was in a 9-handed Sit & Go, 4 left, 3 pay. I flopped top pair, with nut flush AND low draw and was all-in, and the board ran out perfect for my opponent to scoop me and knock me out. PLO8 can be a frustrating game as well, every bit as much as PLO.

Here are some basic tips as well that might help you with your PLO game:
1. Flopping bottom sets rarely win big pots, because you're already facing (especially multiway) draws to straights/flushes/higher sets. If facing aggressive opponents, your variance is EXTREMELY high.
2. Position is VERY important, maybe even more so than in Hold'em. Being in the Small Blind at an aggressive table is extremely bad for you, that you almost have to be nutted to really win big pots. BUT, if players are making mistakes, you can take advantage of it regardless of the position.
3. Most players overplay AAxx with little regard for what their other two cards are, along with little regard for suitedness. If you have AAxx rainbow, you can't make flushes, which gives you fewer boards that will help you.

Thanks for the tips Shum - yeah - I was running multiple tables at this time NLHE and one plo table - so when it went to the river - I just never saw the opponents hand hit that river - until after I had actually posted here. HAHA!

Thanks again. Will surely help in future events.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your starting hand was very weak.
One rule is never start without an Ace suited and a hat full of big cards.
Hands containing small cards are easily dominated.
Any had you start with should if possible be capable of making multiple big showdown hands.
Pairs, two pairs and trips are considered weak.
We should be looking to make flushes ( be careful with those if the board pairs) and boards.

Agree totally with you okee - but do you think this is a fold preflop hand - when it is folded to you pre? I guess it probably is, but I had a pair so thats why I decided to open.

Also - my hand is definitely weak - but the defender's hand was weaker. Hanger Ace with only T/3 suited. This is a hand I would never play.

Thanks for the tips as well - those are solid tips.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands