$0.55 NLHE MTT Bounty: Sizing of River bet and calling shove?

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
heres the Hand: https://www.boomplayer.com/32776264_5C736B1585

It had a good Outcome and i made the correct decision here but after rethinking my plays here, i feel like my lines are a bit weird.
How would you have played this hand and would you also call the shove? (very small bounty)

regards Schrubbler

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A cbet on that flop vs 1 player would be OK. I don't think it's good vs 2 players. When you then start calling raises on a paired board with K high, I think your play goes from marginal, to bad. Yes you hit your Q, and yes you were playing vs someone who had just had a successful lobotomy, but the result doesn't make your play good.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A cbet on that flop vs 1 player would be OK. I don't think it's good vs 2 players. When you then start calling raises on a paired board with K high, I think your play goes from marginal, to bad. Yes you hit your Q, and yes you were playing vs someone who had just had a successful lobotomy, but the result doesn't make your play good.
I dont see how my Turn call is here the Problem, he is a loose Player and i see him betting the turn with nearly any two cards. So calling a 20% Pot bet cant be wrong with Two Overcards. If i give him a strong Range i still have like 25% min equity against him if my calculator is correct. Pot odds are definetly on my Side here
So the only Problem is if my small Value bet on the River is reasonable and if I should call his Shove

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold turn! You have no pair, no draw and K hi! Just ditch it and save the chips.

The action on the river depicts a situation in which you are never good. The 8 on the turn is a terrible card for you to continue on and it's easily something your opponent could have called flop with...so if anything just check back river and avoid the check raise...its a sheet miracle you ran into a worse hand here. I think 99% of the time it's going to be an 8x or better here.

Just fold turn and dont spew chips - this time your villan spazzes out with worse and that's only because you got there on the river.

As played, just check fold river when your opponent raises you there after they lead turn - dont be results oriented here - most of the time your opponents not going to show up with worse!

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
heres the Hand: https://www.boomplayer.com/32776264_5C736B1585

It had a good Outcome and i made the correct decision here but after rethinking my plays here, i feel like my lines are a bit weird.
How would you have played this hand and would you also call the shove? (very small bounty)

regards Schrubbler

I'll go play-by-play here

Pre-Flop
Standard

Flop
This is where things get interesting.

This flop isn't the best texture for c-betting to a small blind call/check as it hits his range far better than ours. Although, there are really only 6 combos that are reasonable (33/44), but anything is reasonably with donk's, including 83o.

We should be c-betting here about 25% of the time or less. It's hard to find any fault with c-betting in position, but we definitely need to be doing it 1:3 or less.

Turn
Ok, so we chose c-bet, and the top card pairs, additionally, we do not have a diamond (important). Villain here really should not have a large amount of eights, if he did, we probably would have faced a donk-bet or a flop-raise - imagine if he had T8, he's not going to want to see J-A hit the turn.

If we did not c-bet flop, this is check, just trying to showdown
As played, this should be a second barrel with plans to shutdown on the river

Ok, well.... we get donked into on the turn...interesting. There isn't too much to say here, and there's not much we can do. We can get sticky here - I guess, but there's really no upside. This is a crying fold - and he may be bluffing you a bit too, but who cares - let him play this badly - fold.

As played, the call probably isn't horrible, but, I think fold is superior

River
Ok, what? Why are we betting?

Reasons to bet:
1. Value
2. bluff
3. Deny equity share

We're not bluffing, and denial of equity isn't in play here. Are we really going for value? From what? Do we get called by K3?

This should be a check back as played.

Well.... Dear Baby Jesus..... I guess we do get paid by K3 - what do I know?

Last edited:
julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mano en torneo.55$

Hi. for my've played well. which was misplayed vandido, opened with a tribet with that hand and co. it's okay. and it is best that you became a bluff catcher

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop is good with correct sizing. I would advise against the c bet on the flop since these are cards that smash the SB and BB range and do not hit yours very much at all. Many times against players here you will get check raised and then you will have to pitch. Checking is better to see a free turn with two overcards.

On the turn I would not be calling myself but I dont think its bad. No diamond hit and more importantly it is a blocker card to one of the cards you are worried the blinds could have that make a paired hand.

The river is not a call in my opinion which I know is crazy since you go the whole way and hit a pair just to fold. However, we are so deep here that we have to ask are we ready to risk our stack with what is essentially a one pair hand? (yes the board is paired but thats communal). I think its a no for me and I know that is a tight play given just looking at the river in a vacuum but I just cant get myself to make that call. Am I exploitable? I guess but I dont even get to the river to have to make that tough decision.

My overlying advice would be know what you are going to do on the river if you hit and how much you are willing to call on the river before you make that turn call. This is an entirely different hand if the stack sizes are smaller but being this deep I think we have to protect our stack even if that is being snug early in a tournament.