$0.55 NLHE MTT: Is my 4'4s shove a bit spewy here?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, we are down to the last 18 in a 45man..I'm around 9th place, top 7 get paid.

I pick up 4'4s, I get have no reads on villian, only a few hands played. The pot is opened, with 14 blinds left, but blinds was due to go up next hand (within 1minute) which would put me at around 150/300 with only 10 blinds left so I either fold or shove and try wait for another spot and potential losing fold equity.

I pondered and just ended up shoving, looking back I wonder if this is just a bit spewy? I'm guessing we don't have much fold equity here. Most likely we are facing facing A,5s + sort of range, K,10s+? Or we are flipping at best in most cases right? What's your thoughts?

Wait for a better spot or shove, take our "flip" (maybe we're behind who knows) either double or bust and concentrate on the other games? I hate running to low and these 45 mans you either end up bubble mode waiting for a decent hand and shoving a big stack who calls you light and you bubble anyway, or you double up and have a decent stack come final table.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.5 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t3175)
BB (t1365)
UTG (t6225)
UTG+1 (t7190)
MP1 (t1495)
MP2 (t6745)
CO (t1985)
Button (t8045)

Hero's M: 6.35

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4
heart.gif
, 4
diamond.gif

3 folds, MP2 bets t600, 2 folds, Hero raises to t3150 (All-In), 1 fold, MP2 calls t2550

Flop: (t6700) Q
club.gif
, K
heart.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t6700) 5
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t6700) 6
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t6700

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's fine, actually, more than fine.. even though he's likely calling with most of his opening range, he might fold, which is an awesome result. He may call and have us screwed with a larger overpair(doesn't happen that often), but most of the time we will be flipping, which is actually a good result for us, we're no where near the bubble and getting to the bubble short in these things is a crime.

Terrible flop for us i assume :/

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
his sizing is brutal for bet/fold but shoving any pair here is pretty standard.

C

cheaptrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how loose villain plays obviously. i'd lean towards a fold unless you know him to open wide.
if he open/folds often then we can profitably shove with our 4's. if he plays a tight game then laydown your small pairs in this spot.

edit: skipped over the part where you said you have no reads, sry. with no reads on villain i'd fold and look for a better spot.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he opens wide that's better because there are more non-pairs in his range. It doesn't matter if he has AK or A9 or QJ really, unless you mean he's going to fold most of those.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.55 BI so I think we still have some FE presuming villian is an average player, may have opened with and willing to fold weak aces, Qx, Kx type hands.

I'm probably shoving that though, short stacked and not really near the bubble, I'm into hyper-aggresive mode if the table lets me.

Quick question though, whats the highest pair you would've created this thread with? Would you have with 8's or 7's?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.55 BI so I think we still have some FE presuming villian is an average player, may have opened with and willing to fold weak aces, Qx, Kx type hands.

I'm probably shoving that though, short stacked and not really near the bubble, I'm into hyper-aggresive mode if the table lets me.

Quick question though, whats the highest pair you would've created this thread with? Would you have with 8's or 7's?

I think you have even LESS fold equity in lower limit games, people don't understand the concept of it in most cases and will stack with any overs.

Highest pair, i'd of created this exact question would be most likely up to 6'6s.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
his sizing is brutal for bet/fold but shoving any pair here is pretty standard.

Any pair? I'm not sure if I could shove 2'2s or 3'3s in this spot, that's why I thought maybe 4'4s was slightly marginal considering we have next to none fold equity and we are maybe even a slight under dog vs any high cards arent we?

I'm guessing it is slightly +EV though right?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4s is bottom of my range but I probably go with it unless it's a really terrible table

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have even LESS fold equity in lower limit games, people don't understand the concept of it in most cases and will stack with any overs.

Highest pair, i'd of created this exact question would be most likely up to 6'6s.

So you wouldn't have created this with 7's. The reason I ask is because the only difference between 44 and 77 is he may have 66/55/A5/A6/A7 that would no longer be flipping. Those hands make up such a small percentage of his range that in this spot I don't think shoving with 4's would be any different to shoving with 7's. The reason I'm shoving that is that 44 is pretty much the same as 55/66/77/88. We're probably flipping and our equity in the pot probably isn't even going up by 4% (someone could probably confirm that with pokerstove) if we have 7's instead of 4's then I think we're pretty much playing them the same. Don't think its spewy at all, I think it's farily standard.