$0.55 NLHE MTT: $0,55 NLHE MTT: Shove ATs MP with 11BB?

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/4/38

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 38/4/38

Hi!
What do you think of this play?

UTG: 16,990 (24 bb)
UTG+1: 7,310 (10 bb)
MP (Hero): 7,558 (11 bb)
MP+1: 7,818 (11 bb)
LP: 11,703 (17 bb)
CO: 3,204 (5 bb)
BU: 10,535 (15 bb)
SB: 12,974 (19 bb)
BB: 43,237 (62 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,500) Hero is MP with A♥ T♥
2 players fold, Hero raises to 7,508 (all-in), 4 players fold, SB calls 7,158, 1 fold

Flop: (16,166) K♣ 4♦ 7♥ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (16,166) 5♦ (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (16,166) K♥ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 16,166

Showdown:
MP (Hero) mucks A♥ T♥ (a pair of Kings)
SB mucks
SB wins 16,166

When I made the move i felt quite sure it was a good move because we were closing in on the ITM and the table was tightening up. Afterwards i really wasnt sure.
Feel free to comment on the most basic level cause that's really were i am right now:)
It would be great to get some advice!
/Lars

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Lars,
It seems you pushed ATs with 7x's the BB. You should open with 2x or 3x with a hand as marginal as ATs. Even though the push/fold Apps suggest that you go all-in with this hand from your position, it is risky. This hand is better to see a flop with first, then go all in if you have something... either a pair or a draw. This is especially true with the stack differences between you and whomever might call your bet or raise. I would open 2-3 BB, then fold to any re-raise. See the flop if no one re-raises, then you give yourself one more decision point. The SB was willing to risk nearly 1/2 his stack to see that flop, so I am guessing he had AK, AA, or KQ. He might have called with AQ, or AJ or A7s.

Last edited:
LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Lars,
It seems you pushed ATs with 7x's the BB. You should open with 2x or 3x with a hand as marginal as ATs. Even though the push/fold apps suggest that you go all-in with this hand from your position, it is risky. This hand is better to see a flop with first, then go all in if you have something... either a pair or a draw. This is especially true with the stack differences between you and whomever might call your bet or raise. I would open 2-3 BB, then fold to any re-raise. See the flop if no one re-raises, then you give yourself one more decision point. The SB was willing to risk nearly 1/2 his stack to see that flop, so I am guessing he had AK, AA, or KQ. He might have called with AQ, or AJ or A7s.

Yes, it sounds like a better option when i actually had more than 10BB in a tournament were the blinds went up pretty slowly.
SB had AJo. Thanks for the analysis, Sedlacekj :)

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please don't do anything but shove here, the only way I would do anything else would be if I was trying to induce a shove behind me and ATs is not a strong enough holding to do that with. We're perfectly content taking this down pre and adding 1500 chips to our stack.

Keep in mind we only flop a pair or a draw like 30% of the time. That means 70% of the time we're putting in almost a quarter to a 3rd of our stack with intent to give up postflop.

Only other option I can see would be maybe a go and go, open for like 2500 to 3k then jam any flop whether we hit or not. This will sometimes fold out lower pairs on high card boards or fold out high cards on low boards vs inexperienced players. This will reduce variance a bit, but I think most of the hands you fold out doing this are hands we fare decent against if we just shove all in preflop.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Lars,
It seems you pushed ATs with 7x's the BB. You should open with 2x or 3x with a hand as marginal as ATs. Even though the push/fold apps suggest that you go all-in with this hand from your position, it is risky. This hand is better to see a flop with first, then go all in if you have something... either a pair or a draw. This is especially true with the stack differences between you and whomever might call your bet or raise. I would open 2-3 BB, then fold to any re-raise. See the flop if no one re-raises, then you give yourself one more decision point. The SB was willing to risk nearly 1/2 his stack to see that flop, so I am guessing he had AK, AA, or KQ. He might have called with AQ, or AJ or A7s.

This is wrong. Hero has 11 big blinds yet you want to raise to 3 and then fold the flop if it doesn't connect leaving 8 big blinds. If we do that we then need to be shoving with a wider range and take more risk. The options here are shove or fold and hope for something better before we blind down anymore. I'm shoving here every time while the fold equity is good.

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is ATs a borderline shove then in this case? Or would you do the same with for example A9s or ATo?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is ATs a borderline shove then in this case? Or would you do the same with for example A9s or ATo?

Yeah I'm shoving with a9s here or ATo. Better to make the stand now while you have enough chips to induce folds and any double up be significant than be down to 6 BB's and an all in not inducing folds and a double up still leaving you on the short side.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy push. Any Ax must push here

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think this is obviously risky with a lot of players to get through but will get folds a big amount of the time. I'm shoving this here so for me it's correct. Absolutely hate a 3 bet off this stack size with this hand it's either piling it in or folding. With a stronger hand you could 3 bet induce think you made the right move. Say you 3 bet and sb shoves and BB overshoves your going to have to fold there

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm surprised of the average answer here... I don't push here because if I get call, I'm behind for sure. 3x BB raise is my play.

And BB can call me here with any two so if my objective is to make everyone fold, you will likely not get what you want.