$0.50 NLHE STT: TPTK vs all in bet on the flop

S

sitingman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This was early in a STT, a few hands before I noticed villain open quite loose so that influenced my decision. I think I probably should have 3-bet pre-flop which I know I don’t do enough.

On the flop I faced an all in bet while holding top pair top kicker, I think I read somewhere that the minimum you should risk your tournament life for is TPTK, so even though I felt it was risky I called. The question is if this hand came up again, should I call?

Thanks

pokerstars, $0.44 + $0.06 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 - 8 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

UTG: 1,340 (45 bb)
UTG+1: 1,900 (63 bb)
MP: 1,465 (49 bb)
MP+1: 1,495 (50 bb)
CO: 1,630 (54 bb)
BU: 2,317 (77 bb)
SB (Hero): 1,470 (49 bb)
BB: 1,883 (63 bb)

Pre-Flop: (45) Hero is SB with T♥ A♥
3 players fold, MP+1 raises to 150, 2 players fold, Hero calls 135, 1 fold

Flop: (330) 5♦ 4♣ T♦ (2 players)
Hero checks, MP+1 bets 1,345 (all-in), Hero calls 1,320 (all-in)

Turn: (2,970) 3♦ (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (2,970) 2♦ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 2,970

Showdown:
MP+1 shows 6♠ 6♣ (a straight, Two to Six)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 51%, Flop: 14%, Turn: 23%, River: 100%)

SB (Hero) shows T♥ A♥ (a straight, Ace to Five)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 49%, Flop: 86%, Turn: 77%, River: 0%)

MP+1 wins 2,970

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 betting is probably best pre flop. I along with you do not do it enough especially out of the SB but the hand does play easier and better with a 3 bet pre. On the flop we need to start to best guess what villain would be over jamming the pot here with. I would take straight air out right away as I dont think many (outside of maniacs which do exist) would put their whole stack in here with nothing. I also dont think they would be on the high end of their range either. I wouldnt think sets do this and I would not believe villain has many two pair hands in their raising range although I guess 54 suited is a remote possibility. That would leave me with draws. 67 suited as a raise is possible but remote to me as well so now we are looking at overcards diamonds as the most likely candidate hoping for a fold from you (I would not play it that way if I was villain but thats besides the point). My final range of villain would be overcard diamonds, overpairs that get scared when they see two to a suit on the flop, remote chance of 54, and possibly another 10x which we block. Weighting those options towards overcard draws we are probably sitting in the low 40% equity against their likely range (a guess, not using a solver). We are getting 1.25 to 1 on a call so we need to win 1 in 2.25 times or need 44.4% equity. So its close on a call or not but factoring in tournament life I would fold this in game. Looking at the results villain would have got me to fold the best hand on the flop but from my range above I just wouldnt think a villain would just put it on a pair with that strength.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He raised 5x. Calling is fine in this game. And check calling is the correct play ino. Just unlucky.

L

leeroy818

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would normally be folding here. I would figure to be ahead of most hands that just rip it on the flop (overpairs and sets surely don't want to fold everything out!), but plenty of combos have good equity against our hand, and it's still early on so there's no need to go bust yet.

That said, the 5x open and then the overbet shove both suggest this player is probably a bit fishy! I've seen players make these moves before, and been in similar spots where I have called it off myself.

I think if your top pair is a K vs this kind of opponent it's an easier call. Give this villain a tag and keep an eye out for chances to value bet thinner against them!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Normally I would defend ATs to a HJ open, but he raise 5BB, which is very large and unusual, and against such a large open its ok to play a little tigther. The issue with 3-betting is, that because of his sizing, you almost have to commit yourself to the pot, and I am just not sure, how profitable its going to be in the long run to stack off ATs pre for 50BB. And if you call, as you did, you are going to be out of position in a bloated pot with a hand, that misses a lot of flops.

Flop
You flopped pretty much as good, as you could hope for, other than the rare cases, where you smash it with two pair or better, and he moves all-in for 4 times the pot. No way I am ever folding now. If he has a hand like KK, then congratulations to him, he got me. At least I still have 5 outs to suck out on him. I also tend to agree with a previous post, that this line is often a little bit capped. If he did have something really strong like KK, AA or a set, I think, he would bet smaller to get action.

Results
You got it in with 86% equity, and yet you still ask, if you made a good call? Would you also have asked that question, if you had gotten your hold? If his range can contain a hand like 66, then yes you made a good call. He on the other hand overplayed his hand and got lucky. Good for him, pay another 50c and register for the next one. I do think, this highlight my point of folding preflop though. Because what kind of range does that oversized 5BB open represent? Even if its a hand like 66, you are only flipping, so just get out of the way and let him win the blinds and antes.

S

sitingman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your replies. I think next time it should be a fold to an all-in bet on the flop just to save my stack but once flopping TPTK it was hard to get away from. Maybe the pre-flop fold would have been best.