$0.50 NLHE STT: AJo 5-handed table with two short stack , Fold?

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
120/240 No Limit Holdem
FullTiltPoker
5 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com
$0.50 Sit & Go (Turbo)

Stacks:
UTG jansm0813 (5,980) 25bb
CO HERO (1,715) 7bb
BTN BostonMark01 (175) 1bb
SB Gerry The Kid (965) 4bb
BB Bluff 012345 (4,665) 19bb

Blinds: 120/240

Pre-Flop: (360, 5 players) HERO is CO :ac4: :jh4:
jansm0813 calls 240, HERO ???

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise and go for isolation. AJ is not good at multiway pots.

Goodluck.

T

TheNoobie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Goodluck.

This.

Many people think that pre-flop raising is just done to create a bigger pot. That is also true, but when you raise you dont allow people to play with weaker hands, 5 7o for example, which could turn to monsters on the flop. By raising you are protecting your hand, you are not just creating a pot. When you see that there is a flush draw on the board make sure you raise him big enough so his calls would make no sense, that is if he is an experienced player. For example if you give him 1:1, 2:1 pot odds and he is a decent player, he will not call. All I was just trying to say is by raising a huge amount pre-flop or on the flop will not always allow people to fully chase their draws. But be really careful when you play against a shortstack, because he can go all-in after your raise. Make sure you got a position on him.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Goodluck.

This.

Many people think that pre-flop raising is just done to create a bigger pot. That is also true, but when you raise you dont allow people to play with weaker hands, 5 7o for example, which could turn to monsters on the flop. By raising you are protecting your hand, you are not just creating a pot. When you see that there is a flush draw on the board make sure you raise him big enough so his calls would make no sense, that is if he is an experienced player. For example if you give him 1:1, 2:1 pot odds and he is a decent player, he will not call. All I was just trying to say is by raising a huge amount pre-flop or on the flop will not always allow people to fully chase their draws. But be really careful when you play against a shortstack, because he can go all-in after your raise. Make sure you got a position on him.

Did you guys read the HandHistory? Because it doesn't seem like it.

It appears to be a STT (single table tournament aka SNG (1-table) ).

ChipLeader 'limps' from UTG
HERO has only 7bb's.... but there are also two VERY shortstacks yet to act (1bb & 4bb) and BB sitting with 2nd largest stack.

I'm assuming OP wants to know this > Do they just get it in here with good hand AJo (as they no doubt would be doing had the CL just folded before them) or do they find a fold because of the two extremely shortstacks.
I would also hazard a guess that due to this being a 50cent buyin 'AND' that villain has actually weakly LIMPED in, he will also likely call the 7bb shove (actually I have no doubt that they will).
OP, just get it in here. You can't fold in hopes of squeeking into 3rd place... while hoping that everything just happens to work out perfectly. Plus, if you do get called by the CL & happen to double up through them, it will open things up for you where you'll have good oppurtunities & decent potential/scenarios to end up in contention to get to HU (ie. you'll have 15bb's & some FE vs. the other player & should be able to open-jam into them when CL actually folds pre, etc. etc.).

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In micro many nit players, raise we not can , because stack small, easy shove 7 bb..

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty easy shove. If everyone folds, you add over 1/3 to your stack, which takes on some added weight because you'll be in the blinds before the short stacks. If you're called and win (you're likely favored although not way ahead unless he happens to have a smaller A), you more than double up to only a little less than the two larger stacks; i.e. you're in fairly decent position to win.

If you fold, you're basically playing for third. While playing to min-cash in an STT is more viable in an STT than an MTT, folding AJ here is still too tight. It means you're waiting for a hand in about the top 5%. With 7bb and coming into the blinds, can you really afford to do that? The odds of being dealt such a hand in the next 2 or 3 are quite low, and when it doesn't happen, you'll have an even smaller stack, with a pretty fair chance you'll have to play something weaker than AJ when you have even less fold equity.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ for 7bb is all in pre all the way, easy decision.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you guys read the HandHistory? Because it doesn't seem like it.

It appears to be a STT (single table tournament aka SNG (1-table) ).

ChipLeader 'limps' from UTG
HERO has only 7bb's.... but there are also two VERY shortstacks yet to act (1bb & 4bb) and BB sitting with 2nd largest stack.

I'm assuming OP wants to know this > Do they just get it in here with good hand AJo (as they no doubt would be doing had the CL just folded before them) or do they find a fold because of the two extremely shortstacks.
I would also hazard a guess that due to this being a 50cent buyin 'AND' that villain has actually weakly LIMPED in, he will also likely call the 7bb shove (actually I have no doubt that they will).
OP, just get it in here. You can't fold in hopes of squeeking into 3rd place... while hoping that everything just happens to work out perfectly. Plus, if you do get called by the CL & happen to double up through them, it will open things up for you where you'll have good oppurtunities & decent potential/scenarios to end up in contention to get to HU (ie. you'll have 15bb's & some FE vs. the other player & should be able to open-jam into them when CL actually folds pre, etc. etc.).

I didn't even read PO's advice, but i'm pretty sure he would have corrected the first two posters.

shove this AJ and be happy you get an extra BB from a limper a high % of the time :).

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise all in and hope his limp represents a weak hand that he will fold, or a weak ace that he calls with.

Now...if the chip leader had open raised instead of open limped; it would be a much tougher decision since you are almost certainly getting called AND while you could be ahead, you could also be crushed...

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're also a short stack..we're not even on the bubble. Snap shove over the limp and be very happy.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker