$0.50 NLHE MTT Turbo: Did I miss value on the River with a set in the SB?

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still a beginner and I am working on finding value spots in MTTs. I've heard varience is very high so I want to be able to accumulate as many chips as can when in value spots.

This hand is from the early stages of an ACR 0.50 On Demand Turbo. The villain was an unknown that just got to the table so I have no info on them. Besides that, the table was a pretty tight table with every one folding unless they were somewhat strong.

Yatahay Network - 500/1000 NL - Holdem - 6 players

MP: 29.9 BB
CO: 26.31 BB
BTN: 26.3 BB
Hero (SB): 35.36 BB
BB: 39.54 BB
UTG: 59.7 BB

6 players post ante of 0.1 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.1 BB) Hero has 6 6

fold, MP calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (3.6 BB, 3 players) 6 T 5
Hero bets 1 BB, BB calls 1 BB, MP calls 1 BB

Turn: (6.6 BB, 3 players) J
Hero bets 4.95 BB, fold, MP calls 4.95 BB

River: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero checks, MP checks

Now I checked because I thought that I was playing as if I missed a draw/had a weak pair hoping to induce a bluff but would it have been a good opportunity to fire a value bet? I felt a river bet would've looked too strong and cause villain to fold. Would a smaller turn bet be better? I guess in that spot J10o or something like that would call but let me know your thoughts.

I didn't raise Pre because I hate raising with small pairs then gettin 3 Bet or shoved on by the new player then I have to fold.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should have bet higguer tham the minimun bet flop 1/3 off the pot is good,when you have the set u dont wanth to give free cards,thats is a multiway pot,so some one is going to have something,bet Turn is fine,and yes you should bet R,iff you wanth to induce bluffes best thing is bet small,1/4m or 1/3 pot so vilain things you have a medium pair and try to steal from you,also that sise will be called be midium hands that will x back or fold big bets.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I am fine with just completing here with a small pair. If you raise it up, the limper will probably call, and then you have just bloated the pot in a situation, where you are out of position with a hand, which is only easy to play, when it flops a set.

Flop
You flopped a set, great! First thing to access is the pot to stack ratio (SPR). Pot was 3,5BB with 29-34BB left behind, so around 9-10. This can make it difficult to get all the chips in with only 3 bets, so check-raising is a fairly attractive option, especially because you are first to act. This mean, two other guys can potentially take the bait and allow you to really start building that pot.

Leading is also ok, but then you need to go for a much larger size. Given its such a low stake tournament, you could even consider an overbet here. It can look bluffy, and if they have any kind of draw or top pair, they are still likely to call.

Turn
I like your line and your bet size as well.

River
You have to bet again. Never get fancy in the micros. Just make the most obvious play for value, which brings us back to your flop line. Not getting significant chips in on the flop pretty much ruined your chance of getting stacks inside and winning a big pot. Pot is now 16,5BB, and a jam would be an overbet. That is probably a bit to much for him to call with most of his range, so as played I would bet 10BB or something in that ballpark.