$0.50 NLHE MTT: $0.50 NLHE MTT: Correct call?

vskots150

vskots150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to figure out if I did the right thing in this distribution. The opponent is very aggressive. Comes every hand and puts overbets. Two hands back, I won him an all inn with AQ, he put up with AT and lost. All distributions against other players, he came with complete nonsense.

Distribution of pokerstars No. 210194987289: Tournament No. 2829094593, $ 0.45 + $
0.05 USD Hold'em Unlimited - XII level (500/1000) - 03/16/2020 14:07:59 PLZV [03/16/2020 5:07:59 AM]
Table '2829094593 5' 9-max Button in place No. 6
Place 2: Silviani (26,596 chips)
Place 4: ThomasMeyerJ (8,662 chips)
Place 6: valeri9999 (10266 chips)
Place 9: vskots150 (21,976 chips)
Silviani: puts ante 60
ThomasMeyerJ: puts the ante 60
valeri9999: puts ante 60
vskots150: puts ante 60
vskots150: puts the small blind 500
Silviani: puts the big blind 1000
*** CLOSED CARDS ***
Maps vskots150 [Ad 7d]
ThomasMeyerJ: folds
valeri9999: folds
vskots150: raises 1500 2500
Silviani: Calls 1500
*** FLOP *** [2s Ah Jc]
vskots150: Bet 2620
Silviani: Call 2620
*** TURN *** [2s Ah Jc] Q♥
vskots150: makes a bet 4000
Silviani: raises 17416 21416 and all-in
vskots150: calls 12796 and all-in
Unequaled bet (4620) is returned to Silviani
*** RIVER *** [2s Ah Jc Qh] K♥
*** CARD OPENING ***
vskots150: opens [Ad 7d] (a couple [aces])
Silviani: opens [8h Jh] (flash [high card ace])
Silviani received 44072 (bank)
Player vskots150 takes the 4th place in the tournament and receives $ 2.53.
*** TOTAL ***
General Bank 44072 | Share 0
Board [2s Ah Jc Qh Kh]
Place 2: Silviani (big blind) opened [8h Jh] and won (44072) by collecting a flush [high card ace]
Place 4: ThomasMeyerJ fold before Flop (not bet)
Place 6: valeri9999 (button) fold before Flop (did not bet)
Place 9: vskots150 (small blind) opened [Ad 7d] and lost by collecting a pair of [Aces]

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general top pair meh kicker is only good for two streets of value, so you could check flop or check turn. But as played you have to call it off, if he is overly aggressive. You were ahead, when the chips went in, and what happen after that point does not matter.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

I'm not a fan of this call, we lose from so many hands that I can't even count them.

I agree with fundiver that Ax is only worth two streets of value (if not one or none at all, depends on the board) and here I tend to check the turn.

I understand that opponent is overly aggressive and comes up with nonsense here and there but I prefer to not make hero calls against him.
As it turned out your call was ''good'' but doesn't matter. Is too risky.

Is this a final table or a table before ft? Is ICM important at this point of the tour?
I ask because I see you are 4 players at the table.
If yes you should be more careful and better play more aggressively and risky against the stacks that you cover and not those that cover you.

Also about this hand.
I prefer to raise bigger pre-flop, to 2.7x-3x. But 2.5x (as you did) is still fine if you raise 2x-2.2x from other positions.
On flop I tend towards a bet of 1/3 of pot or check since he's overly aggressive and call a bet.
Then on turn check or bet, depended on what I did on-flop and the board.
I aim for one bet here (flop+turn) and then check/call as a bluff catcher on river and depended on board and his bet size.
Of course if I improve or if he's completely passive and the board safe I can try to value bet the river.

As played I don't like your bet on turn and the call on his shove.
And if ICM is a thing here I don't like your action even more.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With two stacks at the table 10bb or less we are committing ICM suicide by going broke here when we started the hand in second place.

Raising preflop is pretty standard and I dont hate the sizing. When we go to the flop OOP I would always check top pr with a crappy kicker here. It saves me from value towning myself vs better Ax and it gives some deception as to the strength of my hand. If villan elected to bet here, I would certainly call one street at least.

With the turn card being a Broadway card the board is becoming dicey. Lots of 2 pair combos, pair and draw combos and the backdoor flush draw comes on board - too many things going on for us to continue betting - so at this point I am just trying to get to showdown as cheaply as possible - so I would check here as well and call a reasonable bet from our villan if he decides to throw one out there.

The river is another terrible card, completes lots of draws and brings in even more 2 pair combos that now beat us - I would check here and fold if our villan has already bet the 2 previous streets. If villan checked flop and checked turn - I would still fold to a river bet here unless it was fairly small. We just dont beat anything and our top pair is essentially a bluff catcher.

Anyhow, we cannot afford to go broke before the other 2 short stacks. Missing 2 pay jumps in this 50c event may not hurt too bad - but in games where pay jumps can be muxh higher, you'll wish you played more attention to ICM.

Hope this helps!

vskots150

vskots150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that I acted like a fool here. It’s just that I have such a trait, I succumb to emotions, especially when all in one from the same opponent flies into me for 5 circles in a row. I want to expose his deception, but it usually happens that I find myself in the ass

Jessica1507

Jessica1507

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I would play the same way pre flop but with As low after the flop I would give up on the villain's bets.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that I acted like a fool here. It’s just that I have such a trait, I succumb to emotions, especially when all in one from the same opponent flies into me for 5 circles in a row. I want to expose his deception, but it usually happens that I find myself in the ass

You are kind of missing the point. If you check back flop or check back turn, he can not check-raise you all in on the turn, and you dont even have to make that decision. You keep the pot smaller, and if he jam on this river card with a flush coming in plus a 1-liner to a straight, then you can absolutely get away from top pair no kicker.