MP - MP (T1,500)
MP2 - MP2 (T1,500)
CO - CO (T1,500)
BTN - BTN (T1,095)
SB - SB (T1,905)
BB - BB (T1,500)

Preflop: (T45, 9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Td Ts
1 fold, Hero raises to T90, 4 folds, BTN calls T90, SB calls T75, 1 fold

Flop: 7d 9d Jh (T300, 3 players - BTN: T1,005, SB: T1,815, Hero: T1,410)
SB checks, Hero bets T180, BTN raises to T390, 2 folds, Uncalled bet of T210 returned to BTN

Total Pot: T660
BTN mucks

BTN wins T660

Tough one,
Could be overpair, AJ or KJ, all of which has me dominated, or possibly AQ/AK. Thought about shoving as that would possibly knock him off the AJ,KJ,AQ,AK, but though better of it.

Any thoughts on what I could have done with this?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya, sigh folding. it's so early in the sng, he could be getting crazy with a draw and he could be raising a worse hand, but it's a lot of "coulds", until we have solid reads we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

also, when you c-bet this hand, expect to get called more often than not. when i expect to get called, i tend to make my bets slightly smaller, so around 40% of the pot here would be ideal. it just keeps things a little smaller on the turn, so we can bet the turn small again if we want to get value from draws or weaker pairs, but at the same time keeping things small.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, folding seems fine.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your hand is to strong to fold but calling is not an option.

4bet flop but fold to a shove
if opponent flats that means you probably have the best hand and you can bet all blanks on the turn for value
even if opponent shoves flop I might still be inclined to call
this type of line, at this level, includes a lot of combo draws and some bluffs,

I don't think folding is terrible but its a LOT closer than it looks IMO.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your hand is to strong to fold but calling is not an option.

4bet flop but fold to a shove
if opponent flats that means you probably have the best hand and you can bet all blanks on the turn for value
even if opponent shoves flop I might still be inclined to call
this type of line, at this level, includes a lot of combo draws and some bluffs,

I don't think folding is terrible but its a LOT closer than it looks IMO.

it's not about weather we have the best hand or not, it's about weather we want to risk our tournament right here and now with middle pair on a draw heavy board with an opponent who likes his hand and is likely not folding to a raise. we can cash in these things with a 1300 stack, our concern is cashing. earlygame our concern is chipping up in low risk spots and not putting our tournament on the line here in a very marginal situation. you are correct about the strength of our hand in relation to this board and player, we're likely ahead here a good chunk of the time. but as good players we have to fold in spots like this because the big picture is more important. if you really suck, then by all means put your stack at risk here looking for that early double up because you will need those extra chips later.

basically what i'm thinking here is "this is a .50cent sng, i can fold this here, and use my skill later in the tournament to win back those chips and more in lower risk spots, therefore i fold even though i'm likely to be ahead here a decent amount".