No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
I won this pot but was wondering if I did it correctly to not fold :2h4::ad4: preflop.

I was BB and everyone folded until SB who raises to 2BB. I was chip-lead, SB was almost short-stacked, so decided let's take a look at the flop, it was cheap. (I had like 70BB).
Flop :3h4::5c4::2c4:. Ok, I have straight draw and an overcard. I was sure that SB had some higher cards so expected that he is not hitting the flop either. He raises with the pot (4BB) I call.
Turn :4s4:, SB shove, I call. I put him on an Ax or some high cards (QJo+), and was not expecting him to have any 6 so I was ahead. I only had to worry about a flush on the river. He showed:kh4::jd4:, river was:10c4:, I won. All good, I'm happy.

But was it a good play to limp preflop with :2h4::ad4:? After flop I think the pot odds were in my favour to call, as well as after turn, but not sure about my preflop play here. What do you think?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
A2o is not a fold blind vs. blind, when you are facing a min-raise. Its either a call, like you did, or herhaps a jam, if SB had say 20BB or less. The only line, I dont like, is to 3-bet small, since the hand play rather poorly postflop. So if SB had like 30BB or more, I would just call and take a flop.

Flop
Clearly a hand, we normally defend with, but it is a bit concerning, that he bet full pot.

Turn
He could obviously have a 6, but unless you were very deep with him, this seem like a spot, where we have to sigh-call. Maybe he is bluffing, and maybe we are chopping with another A.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How deep was villain? With your particular hand and the board run out, I don't think you should play it any differently. But you should consider what your range should look like verses an SB raise.

Firstly, it's important to note that (at least from a GTO standpoint) SB should NEVER be min-raising. At 20bb their raises should be to 3x or jam. Against a standard open sizing, you should actually be jamming over the top 100% of the time with A2o.

BUT...we're playing a $0.50 Turbo STT, so although it's important to understand what the equilibrium play is, we also need to know how to adjust to population and deviations from GTO. While I still think a shove is perfectly reasonable against a min-raise, I think villain's range is vastly different to what the solvers would spit out because a lot of those junky, offsuit hands that you're looking to get to fold are only calling or even folding pre-flop, making his range much stronger, therefore making your choice to call much better, especially with the A blocker.