$$0.30 NL HE STT: Freebuy Sat. For 8 x $3.30 tickets - ATo on SB vs. big stack BB

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
STT
Buy-in
$0.30
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
This just happened maybe an hour ago on 888's freebuy sub-Sat to another $3.30 Sat for what I think was the $200 buy-in Mystery KO game. There was a $0.30 add-on at the hour break. About 1000 players participated.

There are now 10 players left, hero is 9/10, 8 places get tickets.

Hero is on SB with about 0.9BB left. It has been a very difficult sub-Sat, of the big stacks the highest has maybe 6bb, most players have been jamming these last few hands, and a few smaller stacks got lucky putting Hero in this spot (have been folding to multi-way jams).

Action folds around to Hero who holds ATo.

BB is a relatively much bigger stack (3bb stack, one of those who got lucky with a jam) who will for sure call a jam here by Hero. Guaranteed, since it will cost BB about 0.4bb to do so to potentially send Hero out on the bike.

The remaining small stacks are very even. Hero will blind out before the other small stacks. Hero has about 0.9bb left and antes are about 0.2bb per hand.

What does Hero do here?

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
This just happened maybe an hour ago on 888's freebuy sub-Sat to another $3.30 Sat for what I think was the $200 buy-in Mystery KO game. There was a $0.30 add-on at the hour break. About 1000 players participated.

Hero is on SB with about 0.9BB left. It has been a very difficult sub-Sat, of the big stacks the highest has maybe 6bb, most players have been jamming these last few hands, and a few smaller stacks got lucky putting Hero in this spot (have been folding to multi-way jams).

BB is a relatively much bigger stack (3bb stack, one of those who got lucky with a jam) who will for sure call a jam here by Hero. Guaranteed, since it will cost BB about 0.4bb to do so to potentially send Hero out on the bike.

The remaining small stacks are very even. Hero will blind out before the other small stacks. Hero has about 0.9bb left and antes are about 0.2bb per hand.

What does Hero do here?
Must jam..the math dictates it.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Must jam..the math dictates it.
I find in these spots my heart says jam but it always seems to be the wrong result. AT isn't a made hand by any means and isn't even suited in this case. When everyone's stacks are relatively close, even a few hands can make a big difference.

Curious to see if anyone would fold here.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two reasons to jam here and that is not counting a third which is being called by worse since that is kind of a given here. First, and most important, is that we will blind out before the others will blind out so we have to go in sometime assuming others will see your small stack and just fold out. Scondly, If we do have to go in eventually and eventually being very very soon given our stack I dont think we will find a better spot than A10 off heads up. Its way better than the average hand here so this is a go and I think its a pretty clear go. Would be a closer spot and more interesting spot if you weren't to blind out before others and say there is one player at your table on pace to blind out before you.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I find in these spots my heart says jam but it always seems to be the wrong result. AT isn't a made hand by any means and isn't even suited in this case. When everyone's stacks are relatively close, even a few hands can make a big difference.

Curious to see if anyone would fold here.
Taking into account that you only had 0,9BB, A10 is a huge hand:)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Two reasons to jam here and that is not counting a third which is being called by worse since that is kind of a given here. First, and most important, is that we will blind out before the others will blind out so we have to go in sometime assuming others will see your small stack and just fold out. Scondly, If we do have to go in eventually and eventually being very very soon given our stack I dont think we will find a better spot than A10 off heads up. Its way better than the average hand here so this is a go and I think its a pretty clear go. Would be a closer spot and more interesting spot if you weren't to blind out before others and say there is one player at your table on pace to blind out before you.
There's always another consideration, in that there is a chance that the 10th player getting eliminated before me would create a completely different final table, where someone may get drawn into a hand that they can't let go. Especially in this level of play, I don't think these types of players are always following ICM. There's a possibility I may find a suited or better ace hand.

Ultimately I agree ATo is pretty good, and also probably the only chance I will get at a 1v1 pot, which is another reason I shipped it out. It just doesn't seem to work against big stacks that close the action, but maybe one day it will.

Taking into account that you only had 0,9BB, A10 is a huge hand:)

It is pretty huge. But I seem to find better success with crappy hands. :unsure:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since we need to outlast two more players to cash, and only one player is shorter than us, we need to get it in and hold, and ATo against a completely random hand is a good spot for us. I would not bank on the tables merging and someone else punting to let us cash.

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since everyone is so short, it is likely that one or more players will fall into the next orbit. If we were the 3rd or 4th in chips I think we could fold this hand, as we would possibly guarantee a spot in the tournament.
And since we are so short, we will end up being eliminated because we will run out of chips, so that AT, in this situation, there is no way to fold.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You gave a mini stack and at least the ATo is the good thing of the case! You go all in!

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I ended up doing. It just didn't work out. It doesn't seem to matter whether the player closing the action has some random two or is sitting on aces, that's just how it has been recently and I wanted to make sure that mathematically I didn't miss anything.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I ended up doing. It just didn't work out. It doesn't seem to matter whether the player closing the action has some random two or is sitting on aces, that's just how it has been recently and I wanted to make sure that mathematically I didn't miss anything.
With short stacks on the bubble, and this was a rather extreme example, there is a lot of randomness. Sometimes its not even the outcome of hands, where we are involved ourselfes, which hurt us. It has happened more than once, that I entered the bubble of a SnG as the chip leader or second largest stack, but still failed to cash, because every single time, someone was all-in and at risk, they won the hand. Until eventually I was the player at risk and failed to see such luck :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What does Hero do here?
So the only point that would suggest we fold here is that players are being active and we can blind out hoping there are two bust outs at once -so while it is a low freq action you could make that choice- the players have to be over active though- so we are counting on several all-ins over the next 3 hands on both tables.