theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
125gtd 0.27 cent buyin

Blinds 120/240 ante 24

I think the starting stack is 20k chips 100bb and I lost a big stack early, my KK lose to JJ on a low board.

I have 10259 chips - still not in terrible shape though with 42bb.

I open :js4::10s4: in HJ 2bb 480 chips.

SB calls and BB calls. SB has 89.5bb 21481 chips and the BB has 80.96bb 19432 chips.

Some minor info - 6max is - not my favorite type of game. I think the format gives loose sloppy players an advantage and reduces my edge. This is my opinion only being a MTT 8max or higher player. I know a lot of people love this format. I will opt for any event that is 8max or higher over a 6max event.
But when I have space to fill - when my tables are low - less than 4, I will buyin to anything that is in my BR range.

Anyway - the SB player is one of these loose sloppy players - I have extensive notes on him - the major one being he will call 3 streets with any pair.
I have no info on the BB player - and no more than 20 hands.

Pot side preflop is 6.6bb 1584 chips.

Flop :6h4::qh4::9s4:

Both blinds check - and I check behind.

Question #1 - should I be value betting this draw on the flop?
I don't know why I checked behind - in hindsight I think betting this flop with OESD and back door flush draw is a more appropriate line.

Flop pot unchanged 6.6bb 1584 chips.

What would be the best card in the entire deck for my hand to hit on the turn?

Turn :8s4:
Both blinds check and I bet 3.95bb 948 chips.

Question #2 - Its been established I am quite bad at bet sizing. I'm continuing to work on this major important aspect. Is this sizing good? Of course betting on the flop would have allowed a more profitable bet here on the turn.
SB calls the bet, BB folds and the pot is now 3480, 14.5bb heading to the river.

What would be the best card in the entire deck for my hand to hit on the river?

River :7s4: :D:D:D:cool::cool:

SB checks and I decide to bet large here - based on my notes I have on the SB player.
I bet 12.37bb 2970 chips into the 14.5bb 3480 pot.

Question #3 - I'm now attempting to exploit my opponent by betting this big, but versus a non station opponent - what would be an appropriate bet size to get a call from a player that might have top pair or 2 pair or made the straight with something like Q/T? Half pot or so?

Final board is :6h4::qh4::9s4::8s4::7s4: and we hold :js4::10s4:.

Villain tanks for all his time bank and a little into his time reserve and jams all in 85.55bb 20533 chips.

LOL I happily call with my remaining 24.32 bb 5837 chip stack.

And scoop 87.89bb 21,094 chips my way.

Question #4 - What hand do you think the villain shoved with?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

yes because unless someone is slow playing the queen
then they have good fold equity,
and because you have the j10 theres less j10 combos for them to chase

Question #2 - Its been established I am quite bad at bet sizing. I'm continuing to work on this major important aspect. Is this sizing good? Of course betting on the flop would have allowed a more profitable bet here on the turn.

I thought your sizing on the turn was perfect as it gives the draws bad pot odds to continue

Question #3 - I'm now attempting to exploit my opponent by betting this big, but versus a non station opponent - what would be an appropriate bet size to get a call from a player that might have top pair or 2 pair or made the straight with something like Q/T? Half pot or so?
you awnser your own questions lol

q#4 A4 spade flush lol

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on villains frequency to re raise your flop bet on if you should bet flop or not. I personally would not like to bet here and then face a hefty re raise even with the draw we have. However, the way you described SB as more of a station and not a raiser I think we can bet here fairly safely even though we know little about BB. I would go on the smaller side since I dont feel like its a value bet but its a bet that is what it is which is a semi bluff. In a 6.6 BB pot I would go 2.5 BBs to 3 BBs as the sizing. Its a bet where if they call I would be fine with it and if they fold I would be fine with it. If I made the bet larger than that then I would be hoping for a fold and any smaller than that has minimal fold equity.

Turn bet sizing as played I would go between 3.5BBs and 4.5 BBs so your 3.95 is right smack in the middle which signifies a good bet size based on my thoughts. I think you dont want to go too big here and you want to keep in some hands worse than yours.

On the river I would go one of two ways. One is either a bet around 60% pot or I would at least consider over betting the pot here based on we believe villain is a station. Betting almost pot as you did is probably fine but remember you are either facing someone who is folding to any large bet or calling any large bet (taking out raising since we are praying for that and is not a worry of ours) so if they are calling 85% pot then they probably call 120% pot and some goes for folding where if they fold to 85% pot they probably fold to 60% pot. So I would be thinking about taking a stab at the max here. It worked out for you where they raised and of course you break your arm getting the chips in. My guess would be they had everyone's favorite hand A5 spades. They would need a hand they would call a raise with but also would jam river thinking its the nuts. I could see worse players slow playing a set here and then jamming river which could be possible but my first guess would be A5 spades.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

yes because unless someone is slow playing the queen
then they have good fold equity,
and because you have the j10 theres less j10 combos for them to chase

I thought your sizing on the turn was perfect as it gives the draws bad pot odds to continue

you awnser your own questions lol

q#4 A4 spade flush lol

Thank you for your input AKQ. I was hoping and glad you responded, since you have been aware of my issues with bet sizing. Thanks for affirming my questions. I'm glad to know I'm improving slightly.

Villain jammed :ah4::8c4: no blockers - no straight no flush no set - NO CLUE. :cool:

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on villains frequency to re raise your flop bet on if you should bet flop or not. I personally would not like to bet here and then face a hefty re raise even with the draw we have. However, the way you described SB as more of a station and not a raiser I think we can bet here fairly safely even though we know little about BB. I would go on the smaller side since I dont feel like its a value bet but its a bet that is what it is which is a semi bluff. In a 6.6 BB pot I would go 2.5 BBs to 3 BBs as the sizing. Its a bet where if they call I would be fine with it and if they fold I would be fine with it. If I made the bet larger than that then I would be hoping for a fold and any smaller than that has minimal fold equity.

Turn bet sizing as played I would go between 3.5BBs and 4.5 BBs so your 3.95 is right smack in the middle which signifies a good bet size based on my thoughts. I think you dont want to go too big here and you want to keep in some hands worse than yours.

On the river I would go one of two ways. One is either a bet around 60% pot or I would at least consider over betting the pot here based on we believe villain is a station. Betting almost pot as you did is probably fine but remember you are either facing someone who is folding to any large bet or calling any large bet (taking out raising since we are praying for that and is not a worry of ours) so if they are calling 85% pot then they probably call 120% pot and some goes for folding where if they fold to 85% pot they probably fold to 60% pot. So I would be thinking about taking a stab at the max here. It worked out for you where they raised and of course you break your arm getting the chips in. My guess would be they had everyone's favorite hand A5 spades. They would need a hand they would call a raise with but also would jam river thinking its the nuts. I could see worse players slow playing a set here and then jamming river which could be possible but my first guess would be A5 spades.

Thanks for explaining in detail the flop and turn HP. Its more valuable than you know.

You were close with your guess - but - you give the villain too much credit. He showed up with one of the two worst Aces to continue with, :ah4::8c4:.

We can't even guess to his logic - but maybe he thought he could bluff me off of a Queen? Who knows with these players.

Thanks again.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open but with these stack sizes you can go a bit larger like 2,5BB.

Flop
I prefer betting the flop. Its not a value bet, but more like a semi-bluff, where you can definitely get some hands with equity to fold. Like random A high, K high etc. Betting also build the pot for, when you improve to the nuts.

Turn
Definitely betting for value and sizing looks just fine. There are many worse hands, that can and will pay on this board.

River
Obviously betting for value again, but I might go a bit smaller, since it is a scary runout. If he rivered a flush, he is probably going to raise, so against that part of his range you can stack him anyway. I want to size my bet to get called by a straight or a sticky two pair / top pair type hand, and against those hands I feel, almost full pot is a bit to rich.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open but with these stack sizes you can go a bit larger like 2,5BB.

Flop
I prefer betting the flop. Its not a value bet, but more like a semi-bluff, where you can definitely get some hands with equity to fold. Like random A high, K high etc. Betting also build the pot for, when you improve to the nuts.

Turn
Definitely betting for value and sizing looks just fine. There are many worse hands, that can and will pay on this board.

River
Obviously betting for value again, but I might go a bit smaller, since it is a scary runout. If he rivered a flush, he is probably going to raise, so against that part of his range you can stack him anyway. I want to size my bet to get called by a straight or a sticky two pair / top pair type hand, and against those hands I feel, almost full pot is a bit to rich.

I agree with your and HPs assessment on the river. Even when we are exploiting a villains tendency - we can certainly make it TOO HARD for the opponent to do his normal 'thing'.

But - you forgot to guess the river jam! Obviously he was bluffin with his muffin - with just a rag. Mur Crizmus! :icon_sant

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your input AKQ. I was hoping and glad you responded, since you have been aware of my issues with bet sizing. Thanks for affirming my questions. I'm glad to know I'm improving slightly.

Villain jammed :ah4::8c4: no blockers - no straight no flush no set - NO CLUE. :cool:
sizing is so dynamic it really depends on the situation at all times.
Sometimes we want chasers So we can win a big pot
other times we just want the small pot now