$0.25 NLHE STT Turbo: Blind steal while ITM - FPS or good aggression?

M

Morph

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
party poker No-Limit Hold'em, 0.25 Double or Nothing Tournament, 300/600 Blinds (7 handed)

MP2 (t3,430)
CO (t1,160)
Button (t2,780)
UTG (t4,190)
MP1 (t1,260)
BB (t5,470)
Hero (SB) (t1,710)

Hero's M: 1.90

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8
spade.gif
, K
spade.gif

5 folds, Hero raises to t1,710 (All-In)

I'm 5th place out of 7 here. I have <2 M like the other two players in 6th and 7th but they will face the blinds first. With K8s I think this is a decent spot for a blind steal.

I have seen villain trapping twice so far so I figure he is an intelligent player (maybe trapping makes him an idiot at the micros?) and figure he is unlikely to call me. I have a tight image and have only played one hand so far in the tournament. Villain is first place with a deep stack. I decide that he is unlikely to call without a monster hand as this is what I would do in his position in order to conserve chips (is it a mistake to project your own strategy/thinking onto other players?) Villain has been quite involved so far though... Maybe he will call with a decent suited ace and some non-premium broadways.

In terms of bet sizing, an all in shove is all I can do here given that with a min-raise I would be committed anyway and with a shove I have a bit more fold equity.

Given that I am already ITM this is probably an insta-fold - forget about fancy plays like blind stealing when you're ahead. Wait and let the two players in 6th and 7th fight it out, then decide if you need to make some moves to stay ITM. This was my initial thinking when reviewing the hand, then I loaded it up in SnGWiz which suggests a push! Obviously the software has calculated that I profit more on average by making the push, but does that override the fact that this is basically an unnecessary risk considering I am ITM? It's going to be tight but this tourney will probably be over in one or two rotations.

In general, should I be playing fit or fold poker at the micros?

TL;DR - Would you shove to steal the blinds here against a competent player or play it safe and try to fold to the money?

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that's a fine shove. The big blind has a double stack so he probably won't risk calling you light and losing half his chips when he's already in a good situation. And K8s is a well above-average hand to shove with.

M

Morph

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool, thanks for replying. I'm probably over thinking things a bit.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a good shove. U have barely over 2 blinds, u should jump for joy at the site of K8 suited

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Easy shove but also > look for 'spots' to shove sooner... when you have decent fold equity

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About as standard as standard gets, the more experience you get the more natural these kind of shoves will feel and you won't even have to think twice about them. Getting called might make you cringe a little, but who doesn't like a good sweat?

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About as standard as standard gets, the more experience you get the more natural these kind of shoves will feel and you won't even have to think twice about them. Getting called might make you cringe a little, but who doesn't like a good sweat?

Me :p

giraug

giraug

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If all other players have folded and its just you and BB, it wouldnt matter much what cards you have, its a good position to steal BB.
K8 isnt a good hand, making it suited can improve a bit, but still a weak hand... though for the attempt of stealing the BB it can be leading in probabilities over many other hands.
So the choice of trying the bluff can be considered a good one.

R

RealityCheck123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think shoving is fine, but you can deffinitely considering folding in this situation when you say blinds gonna hit shortstacks first.. especially cause you have bigstack in BB