$0.25 NLHE STT: Does villain obviously have the K?

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - 15/30 Ante 4 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 54.93 BB
BB: 60.33 BB
UTG: 37.7 BB
UTG+1: 112.1 BB
MP: 67.93 BB
MP+1: 63.83 BB
CO: 95.03 BB
BTN: 53.17 BB

8 players post ante of 0.13 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.57 BB) Hero has 6:spade: 6:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (8.07 BB, 2 players) 7:spade: 4:club: 7:diamond:
Hero bets 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB

Turn: (13.07 BB, 2 players) K:spade:
Hero bets 8.7 BB, BTN calls 8.7 BB

River: (30.47 BB, 2 players) T:spade:
Hero checks, BTN bets 20.3 BB, Hero calls 20.3 BB

BTN shows Q:club: K:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Sevens)
(Pre 49%, Flop 30%, Turn 95%)
Hero mucks 6:spade: 6:heart: (Two Pair, Sevens and Sixes)
(Pre 51%, Flop 70%, Turn 5%)
BTN wins 71.07 BB

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Due to the dry nature of the flop, you are going to be best at this point most of the time, but I’d be betting bigger at this point, 3/4 pot, maybe pot. Some players with overcards will call anyway but once u r called I don’t dislike the bet on the turn but the K could easily hit V’s range so afterwards I,d be folding. With the 10 out too there are too many hands that beat you

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I am ok with either calling or folding. It is a 3x raise and even though we are fairly deep at 54 BB we are crazy deep at over 100 BB so I dont mind just folding here. Every flop that we miss that isnt a paired board will very likely have at least two overs if not all overcards. I think you can save some chips in these spots by folding. Yes, the button range is wide here so I get that but that would make want to 3 bet the hand more than just call it and see a flop. I dont like 3 betting though since it bloats the pot out of position with a hand that will not flop well.

On the flop, I would not be leading here. I would be very happy that I got a flop like this that keeps me in the hand and would be check calling here. I dont like raising as we would not really be raising too often here with a 7 in our hand so what would be repping? If you are going to go the lead out route I would bet more than you did. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2/3rds since we want villain to fold to our bet and protect the equity that we have since our hand is vulnerable.

On the turn as played I would not be betting out but would check. The king is not a good card but with the holding we have nothing is that good except 7 or lower. I would check hoping that villain checks behind. If they bet then I would lean towards calling unless it is on the large side. I would then plan to check fold river if nothing comes to improve my hand.

The river as played is definitely a check fold. When villain bets 2/3rds here and there are two overcards and the flush coming in you are beat very often. There will not be too many bluffs in villains range here so it is best to give up.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The river as played is definitely a check fold. When villain bets 2/3rds here and there are two overcards and the flush coming in you are beat very often. There will not be too many bluffs in villains range here so it is best to give up.

Thanks for another detailed analysis!

When we talk about "There will not be too many bluffs in villains range here so it is best to give up". Are we referring to what we think villain will bluff with from a range we have already assigned to villain?
This is often a sentence I struggle to interpret. Is it a case of the reads we have picked up on from the betting lines villain has taken and then estimating what we think would be a good bluff hand? Sorry if that question makes little sense - as you can probably tell, I'm definitely not a veteran poker player!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
When we call preflop with a small pair like 66, it is mostly to setmine, and setmining out of position is not always the greatest thing in the world. So I actually dont mind just folding small pairs in the small blind seat, especially to a fairly large open like 3BB, and I also dont mind turning it into a 3-bet bluff from time to time.

Flop
We hit one of the best possible flops for our hand without flopping a set, so we are going to continue at least one street. I dont mind the donk bet idea here, because we should have trips more often than Villain, and if we can get him to fold two overcards that is totally fine. However the sizing is to small. It needs to be at around half pot, since we are mostly looking to make him fold, and in a 25c tournament I dont think, people will fold anything to a very small bet. Checking with intentions to call his C-bet would also be fine.

Turn
Totally on board with checking here, because otherwise we would be turning our hand into a bluff. We are really hoping, that he check behind, but unfortunately this is not, what happen. And now we need to have the discipline to fold. Whenever we find ourself on the turn with a hand, that only beat a bluff and has very little chance to improve (in this case two outs), we typically should opt to get out now, while the pot is still small.

River
We should not have seen this river, but since the flush draw also completed, now our hand is even more of a fold. A draw completing means, that Villain is less likely to be bluffing, and we basically dont beat anything, that connected with the board. Its not, that he "must have a K", but he has something, that beat us here, way to often to make a profitable call.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is one of my weaknesses - not being disciplined enough to fold or recognising showdown value when I do have it.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
When we call preflop with a small pair like 66, it is mostly to setmine, and setmining out of position is not always the greatest thing in the world. So I actually dont mind just folding small pairs in the small blind seat, especially to a fairly large open like 3BB, and I also dont mind turning it into a 3-bet bluff from time to time.

Flop
We hit one of the best possible flops for our hand without flopping a set, so we are going to continue at least one street. I dont mind the donk bet idea here, because we should have trips more often than Villain, and if we can get him to fold two overcards that is totally fine. However the sizing is to small. It needs to be at around half pot, since we are mostly looking to make him fold, and in a 25c tournament I dont think, people will fold anything to a very small bet. Checking with intentions to call his C-bet would also be fine.

Turn
Totally on board with checking here, because otherwise we would be turning our hand into a bluff. We are really hoping, that he check behind, but unfortunately this is not, what happen. And now we need to have the discipline to fold. Whenever we find ourself on the turn with a hand, that only beat a bluff and has very little chance to improve (in this case two outs), we typically should opt to get out now, while the pot is still small.

River
We should not have seen this river, but since the flush draw also completed, now our hand is even more of a fold. A draw completing means, that Villain is less likely to be bluffing, and we basically dont beat anything, that connected with the board. Its not, that he "must have a K", but he has something, that beat us here, way to often to make a profitable call.

I agree with everything you explained but you do not think it would be better to check / raise the villain's possible c-bet?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I play a medium pocket differently from the small blind against player from the button. Players from the button usually raise pre flop very loose to steal blinds. So call pre flop from the small blind is standard. On the flop I prefer playing passively this pocket 66, because we can get a raise on the flop. On paired board we usually have the best hand. I usually play passively hands from the blinds, because we are OOP and I prefer playing pot control. When opponent play c-bet on the flop, later often he will check on the turn, because often turn card doesn't help him. If on the turn came up scary card for him we can risk on the river and play any bet for value. I think that it is worth to try steal the pot. As played - I think we should fold the river to his big bet for about 60% of the pot. GL :)

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to play out of position. I would check the raise and bet the flop. It's structure is nice but you need larger bet here. Around half of the pot. On turn, when K hits I would consider check-fold, because there are plenty of hands that beat me, I have no idea where I am and I need to put chips out of position. But bet here is not that bad either - a matter of style. River I would have folded. Why? Because it's highly unlikely that he is bluffing. What could he have if he didn't call with a made hand? A flush possibly. If the last card was not a spade I would be more opt to call because he could have had a busted flush draw.