$0.25 NLHE MTT: Slow-playing TT with <10 BBs

Adam_E_

Adam_E_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess this is more about MTT strategy than pure hand analysis.

63 / 432 players were paid in this tourney and when this hand occurred we were still well short of the bubble probably with around 130-150 players remaining. You'll see that I flatted my 10's pre-flop.

What is the correct play strategically and why?

PokerStars - 200/400 Ante 50 NL - Holdem - 9 players

BTN: 29 BB

SB: 63 BB

Hero (BB): 9.69 BB

UTG: 10 BB

UTG+1: 21 BB

MP: 16 BB

MP+1: 9 BB

V: MP+2: 19 BB

CO: 13 BB

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.62 BB) Hero has T T

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (6.62 BB, 2 players) K K K

M

Madsaac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No incorrect play.

Your stack is too small to call. If you shove villian may fold and then you have made 5bbs 50% of your stack, which isn't bad at all.

And if he calls you are a good chance of winning so not only will you get the dead money but another 10bbs.

Finally what happens if the flop has a Jack, Queen, King, Ace or two of these, it makes things a little more difficult.

So take the easy option and shove.

However if you were close to the money you may change your mind

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess this is more about MTT strategy than pure hand analysis.

63 / 432 players were paid in this tourney and when this hand occurred we were still well short of the bubble probably with around 130-150 players remaining. You'll see that I flatted my 10's pre-flop.

What is the correct play strategically and why?

PokerStars - 200/400 Ante 50 NL - Holdem - 9 players

BTN: 29 BB

SB: 63 BB

Hero (BB): 9.69 BB

UTG: 10 BB

UTG+1: 21 BB

MP: 16 BB

MP+1: 9 BB

V: MP+2: 19 BB

CO: 13 BB

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.62 BB) Hero has T T

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (6.62 BB, 2 players) K K K

Because your CSI is low, you are better off shoving with TT preflop in the hopes of doubling up. Typical MTT short-stack strategy is to move all-in with specific hands to accumulate chips; whether by stealing the blinds and antes, or having an opponent call you and possibly double up your chip stack should you have the best hand at the end.

Adam_E_

Adam_E_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks both. How the hand played out was that I shoved out on the flop and V folded. Isn't my flop bet known as a donk bet? I lost value for sure as I didn't give him a chance to c-bet. I was getting all of my chips in the middle it was really just a matter of when.

For my flat call pre-flop, I yielded the same result as I would have had I shoved pre and V folded, so I agree that shoving pre (or maybe a 5x raise) was the correct play.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either shove preflop or call and shove (stop and go) whatever the flop is.

If you think villain would overfold on the flop i.e. not going to call unless he hits something hard , then perhaps stop and go is more +ev when you add some marginal hands in your stop-and-go range.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because your CSI is low, you are better off shoving with TT preflop in the hopes of doubling up. Typical MTT short-stack strategy is to move all-in with specific hands to accumulate chips; whether by stealing the blinds and antes, or having an opponent call you and possibly double up your chip stack should you have the best hand at the end.

FYI that almost no one uses the acronym "CSI" so you might want to consider using "M" instead, which is a much more widely used and recognized term.

Anyway for the hand itself, I agree 100% with the others that this is a very, very clear jam, and I'll add that I'd be jamming far more hands than just this one or better.

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of the stronger hands you could shove pre with 9BB :) Definitely get it in pre-flop. What would you do if the flop came AK4 all clubs?

Adam_E_

Adam_E_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of the stronger hands you could shove pre with 9BB :) Definitely get it in pre-flop. What would you do if the flop came AK4 all clubs?

Yeah I'd be tommy tucked but I'd still have to shove.

P

pokerace420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jam that man.... like for real I would be dying to jam 10 10 there....

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to jam here as you do not want to call and see the flop that the majority of the time will bring an over card to the 10. With less than even 15 BB here it is a jam and let the cards fall as they may. If you were right on the bubble then there would be a personal decision of what your goals are for the tournament but in this case well away from the bubble it is a simple jam.